how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wikked
Premium
join:2008-11-04
Des Moines, IA

[RANT] Mediacom stop hiring Sub-Contractors!

So a Sub-contractor installed our neighbors tv service today and in the process jacked our service up and i asked him if he unplugged our service he said no i said well our internet went off ( no tv service ) and he climbed back up and changed the ends etc... and now 4 hours later modem keeps resetting power levels use to be downstream 0dB and the upstream was 47dB but now they are -1dB down and 58dB up now when i called Mediacom the guy said my modem was reading downstream -25dB and the upstream was 61dB eh..! i keep getting modem reboots!... the Tech guy put in high priority order!

When the guy put his ladder up the 2nd time he put against the qwest telephone line and dam near ripped it off the pole!!

this Sub-Contractor did not care about anything but doing his job and leaving.. he did not care if he damaged anything..

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
I agree!
We had a sub contracted installer who setup our account in 06 We had Mediacom (at the time) for 1 DAY as the dumb sub-installer Ran the Install cable straight into our house (under a window)...The problem is we live in a Brick House! Worse he said he had nothing to secure the cable to the Brick! We where furious!

Thankfully we had an amazing tech who ran it properly (in the basement) and went through a crawl space for us. This is when we gave Mediacom a second chance in 09 and have been happy ever since.

macdude22

join:2005-09-08
Grinnell, IA
reply to Wikked
The guy that came to do the transfer install last week for me was fantastic. I don't remember quite where he was from, Utilicomm or something. Was there for darn near 3 hours. Install from the pole is tight, the cable along the house is nearly invisible up under the gutter and down some trim. Inside he strapped that baby tight following some pipes rather than taking the easy straight path (that I for sure would have). Guy did a standup job, hell he wouldn't even take a tip. That's classy.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to Wikked
Ladders go on the strand and not on the pole. I hate when telco drops are going from the pole. There should be a clearance on both sides of the pole so it can be easily accessed. Sometimes a tap may be messed up and all it takes is to shake it a little and the signal craps out.

Sub contractors are paid by the job and most of them don't give a shit.

PS If a telco drop is hooked up not up to code and is in my way I don't care if I damage it or not. I've cut one or two. Call Qwest to fix it for all I care.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Wikked
Premium
Des Moines, IA
I watched him, he didn't have to put the ladder up on the telephone line he could of easily just put it on Mediacom's lines and he didn't care crap about anything... I'm about to shimmy up the pole myself and run a new rpg6 line he put like 3 splices in the line "to fix" whatever he did.. but it worked fine in the first place... my connection had been solid for 28 days straight until he did whatever he did now it is screwed up..

Anonymous
Premium
IA

1 recommendation

About your drop, Mediacom has a new policy and NO splices are allowed on the drop. If you call Mediacom they'll replace it for free.
--

Wikked
Premium
Des Moines, IA
That is what i'm hoping for a drop replacement

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
reply to Wikked
The sub-contractor that did my last install was much better than the actual Mediacom installer that did the install before that. The sub actually seemed to know what he was doing. What's funny is the sub was also a DirectTV installer. He drove his own unmarked truck and had a bunch of Mediacom and DirectTV hardware mixed together in the back.

Hacker52404

@mcleodusa.net
reply to Wikked
Nice to see that some people actually respect the fact that all human beings are different. Are there some bad contractors? Sure. Are there some bad Mediacom employees? You betcha. Back when I ran as a contractor I can't tell you how many times I would spend hours cleaning up a crap install from an hourly employee. Most employees just don't care. It's no money out of their pocket if the install fails a QC check. Contractors on the other hand, are always having jobs pulled. I, in fact, photographed every job I did.

twansenne

join:2003-10-27
IA
reply to Anonymous
said by Anonymous:

About your drop, Mediacom has a new policy and NO splices are allowed on the drop. If you call Mediacom they'll replace it for free.
AFAIK...That's not new. It has been that way for several years in my system, or maybe it was just a rule my TOM made.

pabster

join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA
reply to thegeek
I've seen this many times. There ARE good sub-contractors out there. It's a shame there are so many bad ones people often stereotype the entire lot in a negative light.

Wikked
Premium
Des Moines, IA

1 edit
reply to Wikked
Tech just left and modem came back online!!! replaced the drop and everything is fine now!!

When the guy hooked up the neighbor's service he cut part of our line and spliced it and then the modem couldnt talk with the headend, but now its perfect!

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to twansenne
said by twansenne:

said by Anonymous:

AFAIK...That's not new. It has been that way for several years in my system, or maybe it was just a rule my TOM made.
This policy was implemented 2 months ago in Des Moines area.
--

Hacker52404

@mcleodusa.net
reply to Wikked
Been that way for at least 5 years in Cedar Rapids, spliced drops were not allowed under any circumstances.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
The policy was up to 2 splices were allowed. They changed it 2 months ago.
--