Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango to esther4

Premium Member

to esther4

Re: [Skype] Beware Skype Auto-recharge

It is indeed difficult to determine fault. However, if I were the OP, Skype would also lose me as a customer.

As PX said, Skype should have a maximum on the number of auto-recharges per day. Over 10 auto-recharges in 12 hours is absolutely suspicious. Skype's systems cannot possibly be "so secure" if this slipped by whatever they do for fraud prevention.

And, auto-recharge should NOT be turned on by default under any circumstances.

m.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

I'm sure that Skype's fraud detection is up to par with that of their former majority owners, eBay !!

shamrin
join:2001-01-08
Lexington, KY

shamrin to Mango

to Mango
Actually they do have a monthly limit on the auto-recharge that is, I guess, meant to prevent utterly unchecked fraud. It would be a stretch to call this fraud prevention as running through the limit in a single day is permitted (and it's without regard to normal calling or billing patterns). I have the sense it is set at the limit that Skype has the bollox to tell fraud victims that they have to pay anyway. It is apparently set at $100 if you are denominated in dollars and £100 if you are in GBP as I was.

/sch
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Well, thank heavens for that anyway! Glad it saved you something!

But IMHO you do have something to pursue with your credit card issuer.

Please let us know the outcome.
esther4
join:2009-06-26

esther4 to shamrin

to shamrin
I think publishing here the Taiwanese phone numbers that caused you these losses, would be a good idea.
There may be some readers from Taiwan in this forum.
Internet is full of surprises, one thing leads to another and this might be a turning point.

shamrin
join:2001-01-08
Lexington, KY

shamrin

said by esther4:

I think publishing here the Taiwanese phone numbers that caused you these losses, would be a good idea.
There may be some readers from Taiwan in this forum.
Internet is full of surprises, one thing leads to another and this might be a turning point.
It's no skin off my nose if the mods don't mind, the number is +886973660248 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +886973660248      end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
shamrin

shamrin to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
You're going to love this.

Skype are now going to cancel my account in 2 days because my account balance has gone to zero (due to the fraudulent calls they refuse to refund) so I need to recharge the account. I decided to use my Citibank card because I can create virtual account numbers for it and they are at least a little safer. The transactions to add $10 to my Skype account were getting rejected over and over by Citibank. I called Citibank and spoke to their fraud department who told me that they do not accept charges from Skype due to the recent high fraud rate on transactions coming from Skype. They told me I need to use a different card.

Wow! I'm thinking of starting a new thread on this with the title "Massive fraud on Skype" so that it's more googleable

/sch

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

For some reason auto recharge stopped working on Skype. We really didn't care since we could use Google Voice after 7PM, so I never pursued why it stopped working. Now I wonder if this is why.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to shamrin

Premium Member

to shamrin
This article is interesting

"Skype Operated by Thieves and Liars/Website Not Secure/No Customer Support"
»www.my3cents.com/showRev ··· id=76786
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704 to shamrin

Premium Member

to shamrin
said by shamrin:

You're going to love this.

Skype are now going to cancel my account in 2 days because my account balance has gone to zero (due to the fraudulent calls they refuse to refund) so I need to recharge the account. I decided to use my Citibank card because I can create virtual account numbers for it and they are at least a little safer. The transactions to add $10 to my Skype account were getting rejected over and over by Citibank. I called Citibank and spoke to their fraud department who told me that they do not accept charges from Skype due to the recent high fraud rate on transactions coming from Skype. They told me I need to use a different card.

Wow! I'm thinking of starting a new thread on this with the title "Massive fraud on Skype" so that it's more googleable

/sch
I think you should !!