Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Stefania

Premium Member

Failed a drug test...

I just recently got a call that I had failed a saliva drug test for a potential job. They said I tested positive for marijuana. I'm absolutely 100% certain that this is a false positive, I know what I've ingested in my body and marijuana is not one of those things.

The questions I have are ... is this going to be stored in some database that I failed a drug test? Are my future employment options with this company pretty much screwed now? and is there anything I can do, such as get retested to clear my name?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

2 edits

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Talk to them again is all I can say. I did a little searching, and this a site claims there's tons of reasons people can test as a false positive.

»www.ipassedmydrugtest.co ··· ives.asp
quote:
Over-the-counter NSAIDS: lbuprofen; Advil, Nuprin, Mediprim, Motrin, Bayer Select Pain Relief Formula, Excedrin IB Caplets, Genpril, Haltran, lbuprin, Midol 200, Pamprin, Trendar Cramp Relief Formula, Cramp End Tablets, Medipren, Rufln, Naproxen, Aleve, Ketoprofen, Orudis KT. Prescription NSAIDS: Anaprox, Tolectin, ifenoprofen, flurbiprofen, oxaprozin, Ansaid, Clinoril, Dolobid, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Meclomen, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Orudis, Relafen, Voltaren. Over-the-counter allergy preparations, sleep aids and antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan, Promethegan. Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Dronabinol, Edecrin.

quote:
Currently there are more than 250 over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs that can cause false positives.
The question is their tests smart enough to rule out the false positives. It has been proven people have been falsely fired, and not given jobs from false positives, even the Mythbusters proved tests can be tripped from poppy seeds.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
Your results are not stored... it's private information. To share it would pretty much allow you to win a lawsuit against the company.

If the job is important you may want to have an independent company perform a test. Give those results to the company that wants to hire you and ask if they will have you tested again... perhaps at a location that does a better job.

You may also want to ask the testing company if they would retest you as you know you are clean. I'd think they might do this as reporting incorrect information might amount to slander/libel.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

even the Mythbusters proved tests can be tripped from poppy seeds.
wasn't that on an episode of seinfeld?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

No clue as I never really watched that show, I actually saw the episode of Mythbusters years ago, and the test makers were claiming they couldn't provide a false positive from just eating poppy seeds, well that was embarrassing for the test makers when they did. Which is why I find it funny when companies offer poppy seed products to their employees when they have free food, I've even seen them offered to people before they take drug tests ironically in the past.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QLgw7Uz4

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

Your results are not stored... it's private information. To share it would pretty much allow you to win a lawsuit against the company.

If the job is important you may want to have an independent company perform a test. Give those results to the company that wants to hire you and ask if they will have you tested again... perhaps at a location that does a better job.

You may also want to ask the testing company if they would retest you as you know you are clean. I'd think they might do this as reporting incorrect information might amount to slander/libel.
It's not slander or libel because all they are stating is that their tests seem to indicate possible drug use. They're not stating definitively that he is using any drugs.

-Tzale
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

2 edits

Bobcat79 to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
said by Stefania:

is this going to be stored in some database that I failed a drug test?
No.
said by Stefania:

Are my future employment options with this company pretty much screwed now?
Yes.
said by Stefania:

is there anything I can do, such as get retested to clear my name?
It sounds like that's just a screening test. Tell them you want a more accurate test. I don't know, maybe a urine test. Do some research on the accuracy of various tests.

EDIT: If you go to »www.labcorp.com/wps/port ··· testmenu and search for "THC", you'll see all the tests are blood or urine. I suspect a saliva test is not very accurate. The people giving the test should know that and should ask you to take a more accurate test.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
Go figure. An acquaintance of mine told me the other day that his place of employment gave him a random drug test, and he was scared to death because he had smoked some pot the night before.
He passed.

I agree with those who say to ask for another test, and insist you didn't touch the stuff....whether you care a whole lot about that particular job or not.
It's a matter of principle, ya know?

Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

Stem Bolt to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
said by Stefania:

I just recently got a call that I had failed a saliva drug test for a potential job.
Ask for a urine/blood drug test. Most likely it would be more accurate then a quick saliva test. I would think with saliva, people's body chemistry are different. Ask for a piss test.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
I bet it's just some B.S. excuse they came up with so it's easier for them to not hire you..

it's an employers market out there.. shoot if you go into an interview (that is IF you are lucky to get called in) and you have a pimple, or you missed a single chin hair while shaving that is reason enough for them to reject you.

mistakenID5
join:2000-11-07
Salt Lake City, UT

2 recommendations

mistakenID5 to Stefania

to Stefania
Wow, I didn't know anyone was still doing saliva tests. Standard is urine and or hair sample. A hair sample can show results as far as six months back.

I would ask for a urine test just to be able to throw the negative test in their face and to let them know a saliva test doesn't cut it.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

3 recommendations

Camaro to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
ah you poor person you my friend have been caught up in one of the biggest invasions of privacy that most people forget about, like most people said ask for a different test if you want the job the bad enough,don't worry about being on some list somewhere it would be so illegal to begin with that no one would stand for it,and for the people who say that drug testing should be required then ponder this,most people who indulge in whatever already know every way around a drug test except a blood test and no run of the mill company will be paying for that type of test,just food for thought.

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

Mr_Derp to Stefania

to Stefania
said by Stefania:

I just recently got a call that I had failed a saliva drug test for a potential job. They said I tested positive for marijuana. I'm absolutely 100% certain that this is a false positive, I know what I've ingested in my body and marijuana is not one of those things.

The questions I have are ... is this going to be stored in some database that I failed a drug test? Are my future employment options with this company pretty much screwed now? and is there anything I can do, such as get retested to clear my name?
If they've tested you and you pissed dirty(at least according to them), I wouldn't even try clearing your name or whatever.
They've made their judgment and that's the end of that.

Move on, find a better company to work for that doesn't piss test.

Failing that (if everyone does pee tests in your area), find a better company to work for that does piss tests properly.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
You're not going to be in a database. Your hiring opportunities with this company may be greatly reduced. With that said, ask to take a urine test as soon as you can arrange it.

Walk into a local Labcorp or Quest Diagnositcs service location. Your potential company should give you a requisition, or may even setup the appointment for you.
Bobcat79
Premium Member

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Cal Labcorp/Quest first. Drug tests are usually only done at certain times of the day.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Mr_Derp

MVM

to Mr_Derp
said by Mr_Derp:

said by Stefania:

If they've tested you and you pissed dirty(at least according to them), I wouldn't even try clearing your name or whatever.
They've made their judgment and that's the end of that.

Move on, find a better company to work for that doesn't piss test.

Failing that (if everyone does pee tests in your area), find a better company to work for that does piss tests properly.
It wasn't a urine test, it was a saliva test.

I would call and ask to be retested. Tell them its a false positive.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to Stefania

to Stefania
IIRC, they are supposed to have you fill out a form listing everything you've taken within the past 24/48 hours or longer. This includes prescription and OTC drugs. If they didn't have you fill that out, then I'd be questioning whether or not they really did the test right. I've never heard of a saliva drug test.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
It's very possible to test positive if you've been near someone smoking it, especially if you were breathing through your mouth for any reason.

If say; you walked past somebody on the street a few blocks from the clinic, and breathed some in. You were in an area that previously had someone smoking. Since particulates may still be wafting about in undetectable concentrations but enough collectively to trigger sensitive testing methods.

There are a number of other things that may trigger a false positive as well.

Either way you have the right to ask for a re-test if you believe that you have a false positive, you can also seek to get a second opinion. If it turns out that you test positive on a majority of occasions perhaps you need to be more perceptive of your surroundings in the future, or reconsider your smoking habits and denial issue.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121 to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

You're not going to be in a database. Your hiring opportunities with this company may be greatly reduced. With that said, ask to take a urine test as soon as you can arrange it.
Of course OP is in a database. It may not be a national publicly available registry, but that company will keep his name on file and their reason for not hiring him. If that company gets bought out, the new parent company may merge those records into their database. What if OP is working for a competitor who merges with that company and suddenly gets caught in a cross-check of their records?

I would throw an absolute shit fit to get this situation resolved and do whatever it takes to clear my name.
McRat
join:2009-09-09
Corona, CA

McRat

Send a polite letter to their HR dept indicating the test result is false. Don't get wordy. "The test result is incorrect."

Many companies will do a second test if your JD is in need.

My guess is this company is one of them, because few will tell you that you failed the test.
Bobcat79
Premium Member

Bobcat79

Premium Member

You're the third person to mention a re-test. A re-test will not help, as he will likely test positive again. He needs a more accurate test, like a urine or blood test.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

*she
DMWCincy
join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

1 recommendation

DMWCincy to Stefania

to Stefania
I had a friend that failed a urine test for a job a few years ago. My friend is a fanatical water drinker. He drinks a ton a water a day and no cola or juices. he does drink beer at night but not too much. The urine test came back that he failed due to trying to dilute the test by drinking high volumes of water. He was pissed since it was over 5 yrs since he last touch any drug. He called up the company and had a discussion with the guy he interviewed with and work out for him to take another test. He drank less water and a few colas and passed the test easily.

To sum up, if you really want this job call and talk it out with the company. See if they will go for a urine/hair test and that you will glady take a new test. Worse is they say no but you never know...you may get a second chance.
Bobcat79
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by DMWCincy:

I had a friend that failed a urine test
He was pissed
Pun intended?

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to DMWCincy

Premium Member

to DMWCincy
said by DMWCincy:

I had a friend that failed a urine test for a job a few years ago. My friend is a fanatical water drinker. He drinks a ton a water a day and no cola or juices. he does drink beer at night but not too much. The urine test came back that he failed due to trying to dilute the test by drinking high volumes of water. He was pissed since it was over 5 yrs since he last touch any drug. He called up the company and had a discussion with the guy he interviewed with and work out for him to take another test. He drank less water and a few colas and passed the test easily.

To sum up, if you really want this job call and talk it out with the company. See if they will go for a urine/hair test and that you will glady take a new test. Worse is they say no but you never know...you may get a second chance.
Did he fail? Sounds like it was inconclusive.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
said by Tzale:

It's not slander or libel because all they are stating is that their tests seem to indicate possible drug use. They're not stating definitively that he is using any drugs.
"Possible drug use"... that is a grey area if I've ever heard one. Do companies hire people who are labeled as "possible drug users"? Why not... since it's also possible that they are perfectly clean. It's because they assume that the tests are accurate, as they should be. It's never the case where going to court is an automatic win... I'm not saying it is (I could 100% slander someone and argue that I was "joking", giving my opinion, etc... there are always two sides to the story). What I was saying is that the drug company will probably want to avoid a court case by simply retesting the person... especially if the person has a good indication that the test was incorrect.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

4 edits

Jeff to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
said by jester121:
said by Jeff:

Of course OP is in a database. It may not be a national publicly available registry, but that company will keep his name on file and their reason for not hiring him.
I thought it was implied that when the OP asked about a "database" she was suggesting a public database. As her follow up question asked about her liklihood of employment with this company.

This is why I said she will not be in a database, as my impression was she was talking about a public database. What records the company keeps internally is an entirely different subject matter.

I'd want my name cleared as well, which is why I suggested she demand a urine test ASAP.
McRat
join:2009-09-09
Corona, CA

McRat to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

You're the third person to mention a re-test. A re-test will not help, as he will likely test positive again. He needs a more accurate test, like a urine or blood test.
A re-test is will help if it shows negative.

Pragmatically, if he wants the job, ask for a retest. He has nothing to lose.

Companies do the cheap test because it is cost effective. Cost effective does not mean the same as cheap. It's simple math. The complete panel is three times more money, yet can still show false positives.

Testing is done to hundreds of thousands each year. False positives happen, but it's rare or the test would be gone. It would be too expensive to use that test. Lose 1 trained employee to a bad test, $30,000/yr * 3 labor factor * 10% profit = $9,000 lost profit on average. Employee retention is critical to profitability for trained job descriptions. Why do they test? For the same reasons.

But here's how it really works. Most people who flunk test 1 flunk test 2 and test 3. They go to rehab to keep their job, and they leave rehab early or come back to work and flunk the next test and are discharged.

If you are flunking 2 sequential drug tests, you have a lot more to worry about than poppy seeds, the politics of testing, or working for any specific company. Seek help.
DMWCincy
Fairfield, OH

DMWCincy to Gbcue

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

said by DMWCincy:

Did he fail? Sounds like it was inconclusive.
Well basically it was inconclusive. The papers stated that he failed the test due to being inconclusive. Probably the only reason they gave him another test.

craig70130
Premium Member
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
One of my clients is a drug testing firm. They do whatever their customer wants - hair, urine, saliva. The saliva is cheaper and a 'quick' test but not as accurate and my customer won't put those test results in writing for fear of a possible lawsuit. They'll only give the results verbally over the phone.