how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbruno

join:2003-07-03
Fruitland, MD

[CDV] CDV modem

I was just wondering if you get Comcast CDV and you have your own modem, do you have to use Comcast CDV modem to get the service? or can you have your own modem + a separate CDV modem? I know this is a weird question to ask, but I just do not like the ARRIS modems they handout to you. Does anybody know if they are Docis 3.0 capable?

Thanks

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

1 edit
You can use your own modem if you like for internet.

And yes, the Arris 702 is a D3 eMTA.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7
reply to mbruno
Here's the link to the manual for the 702g which is what they gave me when I got the triple play bundle:

www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_docs/TM702_User_Guide_Std1-3.pdf

mbruno

Fruitland, MD
said by Logan 5:

Here's the link to the manual for the 702g which is what they gave me when I got the triple play bundle:

www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_docs/TM702_User_Guide_Std1-3.pdf
Does Comcast not have any other CDV modems they can use? Like the Motorola version?

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
Not that I'm aware of but it would probably be better if you just used whatever D3 modem you want for data & get a separate CDV modem for the phone if you're gonna use the voice..

If you use your own equipment, MAKE SURE you save your receipts showing proof of ownership or else Comcast may try and tell you it's theirs if you leave their service....

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to mbruno
thompson/rca emtas are also used...motos are phased out....they kinda suck.....

arris is the preferred emta...

id still get a stand alone modem.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to mbruno
And just out of curiosity, what do you have against Arris? I've always found them to be a very good.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2
reply to mbruno
I love Arris...

I hate the french*...

Motorola Never should of made MTA's

*Before anyone screams discrimination the other techs will know what i mean and to clarify i mean Thompson/RCA

Arris makes very dependable equipment and their battery consumption is quite low.
--

Rule #10: Men enjoy danger. That's why they never cook - but they will barbecue. Get him a monster barbecue with a 100-pound propane tank. Tell him the gas line leaks. "Oh the thrill! The challenge! Who wants a hamburger?"

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to mbruno
motorola has a D 3 modem with the digital voice and a wireless version as well but I am not sure comcast uses them but they can provision just about any modem as long as its made cable.I just love this guys comments about motorola and how they are junk he probably left out all the details about how it was damaged or why he is not happy with it.Kinda like driving your ford for how ever many miles and never changing the oil and when you have problems go online and tell everybody how ford engines suck lol.Motorola is rt there at the top if not at the top of quality anything.They don't sell motorola and knock off stores or thrift shops their fella their is a reason why.

mbruno

Fruitland, MD
Somehow I can see Comcast giving me a hard time with this setup. When I first signed up with Comcast, I had my own modem and the tech. kinda of acted like it was a big deal to call dispatch to get it hot on the system so I could use. I mean $3 is not a big deal to rent it but now that it is $5 to rent, the small cost do add up.

Besides, I had my own modem so why rent one. I hardly see Comcast giving me anything in return except higher prices every single year. I guess at some point in time I will have to see if I am willing to pay the price for their service.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Jasonfn22
The guys are talking about Motorola eMTAs. The only ones I ever saw...sucked. Moto modems are great tho.

ats

join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA

1 edit
from troubleshooting point dont like moto emta,doesnt have the diagnostics like arris and rca(specially now that theres no more vsm) does aside from being huge compared to the other 2.

O.T

we just had an email saying dc couplers are no longer allowed on new installs, neither a 3way splitter(only 2 or 4), do other systems have the same restrictions?

Cool_Bro

@comcast.net
reply to mbruno
A little OT but seems like a good thread to ask this.

Does Arris make just regular cable modems and not just eMTA's?

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
said by Cool_Bro :

Not sure but you can take a look here: »www.arrisi.com/products/index.as ··· ndex.asp and see for yourself...

I wouldn't want to make it TOO easy for ya...

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
Great White
reply to mbruno
Perks of being a technician is you see all of the equipment. The stuff that is damaged, the stuff that is faulty and the stuff that ages very quickly and the stuff that ages over time.

My comments are not rash or unjustified but when i get Maintenance referrals that turn out to be the G.D motorola MTA then it makes a person beleive that motorola's (MTA's) are garbage.

said by user=jasonfn22 :

]
They don't sell motorola and knock off stores or thrift shops their fella their is a reason why.
Ah, you are so correct here. But wait... they also don't sell cisco/sa, or arris, or ambit, or any other reputable brand of modem in thrift stores or knock off stores.. so where does that have a impact on the topic.

What i have said and i reiterate that Motorola does not know how to get a MTA right, let me further add that Motorola also does not know how to get a wireless gateway right. When you see as many as we do cycling back through DC to be returned to the vendor as they are DOA/DID/DOM then these comments are completly justified.

Also, as nerd said it was about MTA's nothing about modems.
--

Rule #10: Men enjoy danger. That's why they never cook - but they will barbecue. Get him a monster barbecue with a 100-pound propane tank. Tell him the gas line leaks. "Oh the thrill! The challenge! Who wants a hamburger?"

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
What is the problems with the Motorola's, I just got CDV 3 months or so ago and I got a refurbished Motorola (I know it is refurbushed because it still has an Insight sticker on the top)
Yes I am in a former Insight now Comcast area.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 edit
way more problematic then arris

takes forever to lock....then wont lock...then you beat it with a hammer cause your 30 miles away from your office, only to see it lock....but at that point its so damaged from repeated hammer strikes you cant plug a phone into the rj45 jack, so you have to hard wire a phone into the guts of the emta, then you try an incoming test call only to see the computer thats connected via ethernet; the monitor is flashing with the ringing of the phone...

make a couple phone calls, get an arris; replace it....locks right up...no violence needed!

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
Great White
reply to mbruno
So true... See you never know what we do before it comes into your house.. We kick the livin' crap outta them before we knock on your door

mbruno

Fruitland, MD
said by Tordek:

So true... See you never know what we do before it comes into your house.. We kick the livin' crap outta them before we knock on your door
Yea that sounds about right!

CT3s

join:2009-10-05
Barrington, IL
reply to Cool_Bro
said by Cool_Bro :

A little OT but seems like a good thread to ask this.

Not in our system. That actually sounds like the worst idea ever. Did someone explain why???

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:

Not that I'm aware of but it would probably be better if you just used whatever D3 modem you want for data & get a separate CDV modem for the phone if you're gonna use the voice..
I use the Arris combo modem/CDV eMTA device from Comcast and it works just wonderful.
--
»Please vote for my sister's band

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
Austin, TX
said by fonzbear2000:

I use the Arris combo modem/CDV eMTA device from Comcast and it works just wonderful.
If it's DOCSIS 3 that's the 702g. If it's DOCSIS 2 is the 502g.

I use the 702g... I like it. My only nitpick is the 'hidden' diagnostic pages that no one understands WHY they're hidden behind a password because you can only view the data, you can't change it....

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Cool_Bro
Yes, Arris make the "Touchstone" as a regular cable modem or a telephony modem.

Arris makes a lot of stuff for the broadband industry and as far as I'm concerned, it's excellent.