uniqs

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four

Premium Member

How accurate are Amazon's estimated shipping dates?

Specifically, large items like furniture shipped via their free Super Saver Shipping. I ordered a new computer desk the other night, expecting that it would only take the usual 5 - 9 business days to ship, when according to the email they sent me, the item has an estimated delivery date of May 12. That seems an awful long amount of time for something being shipped UPS ground out of Buffalo, NY. It shipped yesterday.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Check your tracking # on ups.com

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four
On Amazon's site, way off, they are way too conservative.

Use the tracking number from UPS. That should be very accurate.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Gbcue:

I have no doubt that Amazon and other large retailers are tied directly into their shipper's "systems". There should be NO discrepencies. Of course, the clock doesn't start ticking until the item ships.
Hall

Hall to Doctor Four

MVM

to Doctor Four
said by Doctor Four:

Specifically, large items like furniture...
How "large" ? UPS Ground service has a size limit and these may not be shipping by UPS but instead by a freight (i.e. semi-truck) carrier.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by Gbcue:

I have no doubt that Amazon and other large retailers are tied directly into their shipper's "systems". There should be NO discrepencies. Of course, the clock doesn't start ticking until the item ships.
Surprisingly, they're not.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to Doctor Four

to Doctor Four
I find that it varies, depending on whether it is an item stocked/sold by Amazon or by some 3rd party. 3rd party sellers can be fast, or very slow.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Malta

n1zuk

Premium Member

If it is "Super Saver Shipping", then it is most likely from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller.

The deal on the free Super Saver Shipping is that they delay sending your order out for several days. There's a cost benefit to Amazon for them to do this, plus it gives customers incentive to pay for ground shipping.

The delay + typical shipping times = quoted delivery date.

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter to Doctor Four

to Doctor Four
I think they still quote way too conservatively. The estimate at the time of ordering is almost always later than the actual ship and delivery date. Once it is shipped the delivery estimate is accurate but they don't provide reliable information until actually shipped.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four
Although it was a small package with their free shipping, I received it before their estimated ship date.
nocannothave
join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA

nocannothave to Doctor Four

to Doctor Four
said by Doctor Four:

Specifically, large items like furniture shipped via their free Super Saver Shipping. I ordered a new computer desk the other night, expecting that it would only take the usual 5 - 9 business days to ship, when according to the email they sent me, the item has an estimated delivery date of May 12. That seems an awful long amount of time for something being shipped UPS ground out of Buffalo, NY. It shipped yesterday.
\

After your order ships, it will be delivered within 5-9 business days.

The transit time is 5-9 business days. The time to prepare the shipment is a few more ahead of that. May 12 sounds aboot right.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to Doctor Four

MVM

to Doctor Four
Every time I have ordered from Amazon and picked the free shipping it quotes me a 2 week delivery date. However I have an Amazon warehouse literally 5 miles away and any package that ships from there will take 2 days before they ship it, and then 1 more day of travel time. So 3 days after ordering I get my package. If it ships from another warehouse add another day or 2 for added travel time, for a total of 4-5 days after ordering. Despite this they still always quote me 2 weeks ETA.

Siko
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Mechanicsburg, PA

Siko

Premium Member

Same here
I usually receive my items the next day since ther is like 3 disribution centers with twenty miles of where I live...

darkwing5736
join:2010-05-05
united state

darkwing5736 to Doctor Four

to Doctor Four
I just strated selling on amazon, once I get my first order, I'll find out just how accurate it is.....