All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

prairie
@sbcglobal.net

prairie

Anon

[E-mail] Anybody else having problems with Comcast email?

Since Comcast made changes to their security settings last Saturday (April 17th 2010), emails are not being delivered (although they are in the sent folder) and some emails are not being received (both through Outlook and directly on line).

I know now 6 people with this same issue in Northern Illinois.

No luck getting any answers from Comcast Tech Support.

Thanks!

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

I'm not seeing any problems using Outlook 2007 or webmail.

I'm not sure what changes Comcast made to their security settings last Saturday -- I wasn't aware of anything. To what changes are you referring?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to prairie

Premium Member

to prairie
Do you get weird error messages like this in your inbox periodically?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 25.7 hour(s):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently.

Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta13.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.27.243]
Received-From-MTA: dns; omta22.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.30.89]
Arrival-Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:41:10 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822;
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net
Action: delayed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 462 Conversion required and prohibited. Closing connection
Last-attempt-Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:25:43 +0000

prairie
@comcast.net

prairie to Oregonian

Anon

to Oregonian
Hi,

Comcast changed from McAfee to Norton. In addition, our company uses Comcast Business Class DSL and had been using their outgoing mail server. However, as of Saturday all mail from our domain was being blocked (without any notification) because we did not host our domain with Comcast and did not use a @comast e-mail address.

One of my co-workers having problems with her Comcast account (she was not able to send or receive) was told my Comcast that her problem was with her "stationery"...direct quote from Tech Support: " It was your office number that was getting filtered." She deleted her office phone number from her signature (but left in her mobile phone number and fax number) and could now send mail but doesn't know if she can receive. So I am guessing that added some additional filters?

Thanks

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

The change from McAfee to Norton was, IMHO, a good one for Comcast to make. I have been using Norton Internet Security and have been very happy with their programs as of late (they used to be bloated, but Symantec has remedied that situation). The Comcast Security Suite supplied by Symantec should work very well.

I am wondering if Comcast changed your outgoing mail port from port 25 to port 587? They seem to be doing that throughout their system -- sometimes with no notification. The only way to find out is that you can't send mail and their Technical Support has you change the outgoing port and, viola, you are back sending mail.

I doubt that Comcast is filtering specific outgoing mail based on an included telephone number in the signature or blocking you from sending mail because you are not using their email addresses -- haven't heard of that happening.

So, it sounds like you and your coworker are now able to send mail and the issues have been resolved?

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to prairie

Premium Member

to prairie
Comcast changed from McAfee to Norton.

The anti-virus program that Comcast offers free of charge was changed. That has nothing to do with security settings on Comcast's end.
In addition, our company uses Comcast Business Class DSL and had been using their outgoing mail server. However, as of Saturday all mail from our domain was being blocked (without any notification) because we did not host our domain with Comcast and did not use a @comast e-mail address.
You should call Comcast business support. Perhaps you're being blocked becuase the system thinks you're spamming.
One of my co-workers having problems with her Comcast account (she was not able to send or receive) was told my Comcast that her problem was with her "stationery" So I am guessing that added some additional filters?
If that's the case, it would be on your end, Comcast is not monitoring your email for suspicious phone numbers and stationary.

Loose Wire
Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Denver, CO

Loose Wire to prairie

Premium Member

to prairie

Had a Problem as Well..............

Make sure "Use Secure Authentication" is unchecked (off) in your outgoing e-mail settings.

prairie
@sbcglobal.net

prairie to nerdburg

Anon

to nerdburg

Re: [E-mail] Anybody else having problems with Comcast email?

Our tech consultant talked directly with Business Class Comcast Support...they told him they made changes to their security settings (not just the switching from McAfee to Norton).

Business Class Comcast support also told him that our mail was being blocked because they did not host our domain.

Interesting enough the person having problems with her "stationery" was told to delete her business phone number from her Signature Block...she did that and Bingo she could send mail...there was not a problem leaving her mobile phone number or fax number in the signature block...crazy.

All 6 of the people were back to "normal" today with their Comcast e-mail...apparently enough people called in that Comcast realized there was a problem and got it taken care of.

mel
@comcast.net

mel

Anon

I've been experiencing outgoing mail problems since "upgrading" to Comcast's NSS from McAfee, too. I had a tech on livechat today, no help. I'm going to try switching to port 587, but that may be a problem for one of my mail forwarders (I have a personal mail domain as well as comcast.net mail.)
Filtering for phone numbers? hmm... I'll look for that to see if there's a trend amongst certain phone numbers. I'm thinking not because mail to same contacts with same signatures go out sometimes, not others. Mail does usually go through after disabling NSS and restarting Outlook. I'll follow up with results after switching outgoing mail port to 587.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

1 recommendation

ropeguru to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:

In addition, our company uses Comcast Business Class DSL and had been using their outgoing mail server. However, as of Saturday all mail from our domain was being blocked (without any notification) because we did not host our domain with Comcast and did not use a @comast e-mail address.
You should call Comcast business support. Perhaps you're being blocked becuase the system thinks you're spamming.
Or maybe the packets are really confused thinking they are traveling down a copper pair for the DSL but actually on coax for cable.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But to actually add to this thread, OP, did you take a look at this:

»Last night Email would't send until I removed

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

Quaoar to prairie

to prairie
I've not received ANY notifications about email security changes. My email has run flawlessly for years.

Now, tonight, my outgoing emails are flagged for inappropriate security settings. I changed nothing, but repeatedly tried to send. The emails finally were sent with nothing on my part on my end changing.

Comcast's internal email staff must have created a problem, and then corrected it.