spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jgdempsey6
join:2007-01-14
Ottawa, ON

jgdempsey6 to jeltz

to jeltz

Re: Anyone experiencing high packet loss?

I'm not on TechSavvy (yet), but on 3web/CIA DSL, in downtown ottawa,
this is what I got last night on my line quality test: »/lineq ··· /2639340
makaveli21
join:2008-10-03
Nepean, ON

1 edit

makaveli21 to jeltz

to jeltz
I am also experiencing very high packet loss. I'm also not with teksavvy yet, with acanac at the moment, located in Nepean
»/lineq ··· /2639224
hopefully this gets resolved soon

internets
@shawcable.net

internets

Anon

I heard through the grapevine that bell is going to try a patch tonight. Just a heads up

PunkChildP
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP to makaveli21

Premium Member

to makaveli21
@jgdempsey, makaveli21

If you guys change the username and password to test@test and test for your account.

You might be on the 10.7.213.X BAS IP.

Bell is apparently still looking into this and have not pinpointed the issue.

@internets
Let's see if they found the problem.
makaveli21
Nepean, ON

makaveli21 to jeltz

to jeltz
yea u are right 10.7.213.22
i hope their patch works
MaDSpartus
join:2002-05-14
Ottawa, ON

MaDSpartus to jeltz

to jeltz
9 days and counting (maybe more?), still not fixed.

if this is a bell issue how come bell customers are the only ones unaffected?

teksavvy, 3web/cia, acanac are all affected, but my neighbours in the same apartment building on bell are fine

joatmon
@cisco.com

joatmon to jeltz

Anon

to jeltz
I'm having the same issue (along with my neighbours, also TSI customers). We are located in Kinburn, ON (NW corner of Ottawa)
TechWrangler
join:2010-04-29
Chelsea, QC

1 edit

TechWrangler to jeltz

to jeltz
Like the OP, I'm in Chelsea Quebec and have been suffering through crippling packet loss and latency for more than a week. I get my DSL from TekSavvy via the National Capital Freenet and am on the 69.196.181.XX subnet. The only thing I have to add here is that a Sympatico customer next door is getting a great connection.

I understand that TekSavvy gets their feed from Bell and are at their mercy, so I'm not angry at TekSavvy. But I am wondering how Bell can make things so smooth for their own customers while letting their obligations to the smaller providers be abandoned. I am also wondering how the packet loss I'm experiencing has been so consistent for a whole week. I've run the pingtest.net test a hundred times and it is always a 20-30% loss, whether it's the middle of the night or the middle of the day. If the problem is an overloaded router dropping packets, you'd think there would be more variation in the results.

If I was a paranoid person, it might have crossed my mind that Bell might be putting the screws to their competitors. Luckily I'm not, so I haven't even thought about it.

TW
jgdempsey6
join:2007-01-14
Ottawa, ON

jgdempsey6

TechWrangler, Just because your not paranoid, does not mean they are NOT out to get you... Bell certainly doesn't seem to be in a rush to fix the problem..

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hey guys,

Last update we receive goes as follows....

Bell are going to try 3 things tonight.

1- They are going to reboot the box, this will cause timeouts.
2- If that does not correct the packet loss, ATM slot is getting replaced (it's the card which has affected users getting packet loss).
3- if that doesn't correct the issue, then they're replacing the card which is pointing to "the cloud".

This is the game plan for tonight. Keep in mind that most likely since this is maintenance, this could be done between Midnight & 6AM

Thanks for your patience,
Martin
MaDSpartus
Ottawa, ON

MaDSpartus

this is great to hear, but its somewhat disappointing to hear that it takes 9 days before trying:

"1- They are going to reboot the box, this will cause timeouts."

perhaps they just say that for redundancy sake....I hope

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I'm presuming the "box" is the ATM, which isn't something they normally reboot.

Packet Loss
Packet Loss
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Guelph, ON

Packet Loss to jeltz

Premium Member

to jeltz
Thanks for notify us about this. Apparently, I didn't have connection lost but more like slow down.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

This affects people who, when connecting using username test@test, get the IP 10.7.213.xxx only!

If you are not in Ottawa... this is a completely different problem.

Please call in or post in the »/forum ··· avdirect

Thanks.
MaDSpartus
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

MaDSpartus

C:\Users\Alex>ping google.ca -n 100

Pinging google.ca [66.249.91.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 66.249.91.104: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57
*SNIP SNIP*

Ping statistics for 66.249.91.104:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 92ms, Average = 29ms

FIXED!

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

*crossed fingers*

Lets hope that does it. We should see for real in the morning. But for now... Greeeat!!

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

I'm presuming the "box" is the ATM, which isn't something they normally reboot.
It's basically a line card in a ERX (bas13-ottawa23 to be exact) that they had to reboot/fix. I don't know yet which one they rebooted but I do know that it was either one of the ATM card facing the customers or the gige card facing us.

I've got confirmation from a reliable source that it's fixed...finally.

We had to involve other wholesalers on this case to put more pressure on Bell and I'm glad that they finally listened.
TechWrangler
join:2010-04-29
Chelsea, QC

TechWrangler

Working perfectly this morning! Thanks to all those that worked on this problem.

TW
jeltz
join:2002-11-01
Chelsea, QC

jeltz to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

We had to involve other wholesalers on this case to put more pressure on Bell and I'm glad that they finally listened.
Things seem much faster. My VOIP sounds MUCH better. My ping test confirms it.

It seemed to take a really long time to identify the problem and for Bell to fix it. Hopefully the following questions are being asked:
What has been learned and what sorts of things need to change to better deal with this type of situation?

paul@vex:~$ ping google.ca -c 60 -n
PING google.ca (66.249.90.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 66.249.90.104: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=30.8 ms
64 bytes from 66.249.90.104: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=35.0 ms
64 bytes from 66.249.90.104: icmp_seq=59 ttl=57 time=30.5 ms
64 bytes from 66.249.90.104: icmp_seq=60 ttl=57 time=34.4 ms

--- google.ca ping statistics ---
60 packets transmitted, 60 received, 0% packet loss, time 59061ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 30.013/32.836/36.369/1.975 ms
makaveli21
Nepean, ON

makaveli21 to jeltz

to jeltz
Woohoo it's working great now, thanks everyone for posting and getting bell to finally fix it!!

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

dataiv to jeltz

to jeltz
Interesting that bas13 was having issues recently... back in the fall, bas4 was having issues and it took me 2 months to convince TekSavvy and Bell that the problem was not with my line (and to convince Bell that it wasn't TekSavvy's problem).

Anyway eventually I got moved to bas14-ottawa23 and the problems went away instantly. No problems since (knock on wood).

Then a Bell tech proceeded to call me and say "that he had done some tweaking of the line settings to make my line better" when in fact my line had been moved to another bas and the problem was already solved... while I was on the phone with him, I noticed that he dropped me to 5mbit/512kbit interleaved. Luckily I still had him on the phone and I said no, put me back to what it was at, 5mbit/800kbit fast path. He still claimed he did something by changing these settings and that it was his doing that fixed the entire problem. Honestly.......... that was my first real experience dealing with anyone DSL-related from Bell and I hope to never have to do that again!