spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nadizo

join:2003-04-07
Flushing, NY

Need help...How to limit Ipad and PS3 bandwith?

I have a question

I have the Linksys WRT54G and I have an Xbox 360 Connected with an ethernet to the Wireless Router, I have a PS3 and an IPAD using wireless bandwidth and of course I have the laptop I am on now using wireless bandwidth.

My problem is when my roomates start using the Ipad and PS3 or whatever my laptop and XBox 360 start to lose a little bit of speed. So my question is lets say I was my Laptop or Xbox 360 to get all the juice from the router or modem...Does that require port fowarding and does it really help? Or is there something else I can do to limit the Ipads connection and give it more to my xbox 360 or laptop?

Theres just so many things in this house running at the same time i feel like its murdering my speeds...Let me know please.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

said by nadizo:

I have a question

I have the Linksys WRT54G and I have an Xbox 360 Connected with an ethernet to the Wireless Router, I have a PS3 and an IPAD using wireless bandwidth and of course I have the laptop I am on now using wireless bandwidth.

My problem is when my roomates start using the Ipad and PS3 or whatever my laptop and XBox 360 start to lose a little bit of speed. So my question is lets say I was my Laptop or Xbox 360 to get all the juice from the router or modem...Does that require port fowarding and does it really help? Or is there something else I can do to limit the Ipads connection and give it more to my xbox 360 or laptop?

Theres just so many things in this house running at the same time i feel like its murdering my speeds...Let me know please.
There are ways to do this quite effectivly but they require more then novice knowledge of your router.

First, you would have to install DD-WRT on your router - see www.dd-wrt.com - there are excellent forums and information on how to do this for your SECIFIC model of router.

Next, there is a tool which creates what are called firewall scripts using 'iptables' commands which allow you to limit up and down bandwidth on a per IP or MAC basis. I use these extensivly to protect my Vonage service and limit other users like xbox and certain step kids . DO a search for DD-WRT script generator for more information on this tool

If you are comfortable modifying the firmware on your router - then please press on - either here in this forum or on the dd-wrt forums.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

You don't need a script to limit the speed going to a MAC address. You can do that directly within DD-WRT's QoS administration page. Just enter in the MAC address of the devices in question and you can set the bandwidth to whatever you like. Ensure that your Linksys device is DD-WRT compatible and read the documention before you attempt to flash your device. The WRT54G V7 cannot be flashed as it uses Atheros technology and does not have enough space for DD-WRT firmware.
--
Asus P5Q-E / Q9450 @ 3.6 / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 8500 / XFX 9800 GX2 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by XT0RT:

You don't need a script to limit the speed going to a MAC address. You can do that directly within DD-WRT's QoS administration page. Just enter in the MAC address of the devices in question and you can set the bandwidth to whatever you like. Ensure that your Linksys device is DD-WRT compatible and read the documention before you attempt to flash your device. The WRT54G V7 cannot be flashed as it uses Atheros technology and does not have enough space for DD-WRT firmware.
The built in QoS is extremely ineffective - it gives some basic prioritzation but thats it. Also only limits downlink.

The effective method is to disable QoS and use IPTABLES scripting.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

I think the IPTABLES scripting is overkill for devices that don't use the Internet 24/7. Myself, I have a notebook, two PC's, an iPod touch, and a roomates' netbook. v24-preSP2 handles it just fine and limits both upload and download as per this quote from the wiki:

quote:
Detailed breakdown of traffic

If you'll like to know the specifics, traffic are allocated based on the following percentages of uplink and downlink values on each class:

* Exempt: untouched
* Premium: 75% - 100%
* Express: 15% - 100%
* Standard: 10% - 100%
* Bulk: 1.5% - 100%

Unless the user is avid at custom scripting within a *nix environment, scripting is pointless and he could end up having to re-flash again.
--
Asus P5Q-E / Q9450 @ 3.6 / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 8500 / XFX 9800 GX2 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by XT0RT:

I think the IPTABLES scripting is overkill for devices that don't use the Internet 24/7. Myself, I have a notebook, two PC's, an iPod touch, and a roomates' netbook. v24-preSP2 handles it just fine and limits both upload and download as per this quote from the wiki:

quote:
Detailed breakdown of traffic

If you'll like to know the specifics, traffic are allocated based on the following percentages of uplink and downlink values on each class:

* Exempt: untouched
* Premium: 75% - 100%
* Express: 15% - 100%
* Standard: 10% - 100%
* Bulk: 1.5% - 100%

Unless the user is avid at custom scripting within a *nix environment, scripting is pointless and he could end up having to re-flash again.
I have done extensive testing of QoS, traffic prioritization and other flow control methods using dd-wrt over the past few years. The built-in QoS is basically ineffective for controlling bandwidth usage.

It is marginal for maintaing working QoS - as anyone who uses a VoiP (vonage, others) on a home network where torrents, video streaming, etc occur on a regular basis.

IPTABLES "programming" (and I use quotes because you dont need to do any programming) is the only effective bandwidth control.

SImply spend a little time and google tcp-vegas, qos, dd-wrt, wrt script generator

Most folks that NEED working QoS abandonded the stock QoS years ago.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

join:2009-09-25
Houston, TX
reply to nadizo

said by nadizo:

Check your router to see if it will run Tomato. If so, use this thread for information on establishing some traffic shaping.
»[Tomato] Optimizing QoS for Gaming