spc
Search similar:

uniqs

james_leslie
@verizon.net

james_leslie

Anon

[speed/latency] Slow Speeds

My speed is acceptable if I am just out looking at websites, etc. However, I do a lot of downloading of large files (1 -3 GB). Right now I am downloading a 2.8 GB file. The speed is showing as 161KB/sec. This is about average for me. The speed first starts out in the 250 KB/sec range, but within 30 or 40 seconds drops down to the 150 - 172 KB/sec range. The file I am downloading has now taken over 4.5 hours. I have subscribed to Verizon's DSL service that advertises up to 3 MB service. I am getting significantly less than this. I would expect to be getting from 60 up to 85 percent of the advertised speed, depending on time of day and traffic. What can I do to improve this speed? I have read about Fastpath, is that a partial solution or not? I previously had subscribed to the up to 750 K service. When I upgraded, I did not receive a new modem. Could using the old modem be a contributing factor? We have Verizon phone service, and I would like to stay with you. We also have Comcast for our cable TV service. If I cannot find a good resolution to improve speed performance, I will be forced to switch to Comcast - which I do not want to do. I like Verizon - I do not like Comcast, who jacks up my cable service charges one or more times a year. Please offer some viable solutions to me so that I can remain a loyal Verizon customer.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

What modem do you have? Which program are you using to download the files? Can you register on this website, visit the Tools section and perform a line quality test?