how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssetta

join:2003-09-17
Natick, MA

Comcast DVR at Best Buy

I was in Best Buy today, and I saw they have these DVR boxes on the shelf in boxes. It's like you buy them there, and they're designed to work with Comcast. But the question is, can you actually BUY them, or do you just pick them up there, but you still have to rent them? Because if they made it so you don't have to rent them, that would be great.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Good heavens, why didn't you just ask while you were there?

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to ssetta
Comcast doesn't have to authorize them to work. I think you can get a Tivo with no problems.

Comcast makes a fortune renting boxes. If they didn't we wouldn't have them. Same thing with cable modems. $$$

ssetta

Natick, MA
reply to darcilicious
I did, and I brought it up with a friend, and he was like "Are you sure it's not that they just have them there and you still have to rent them?" Because, I mean, I've never really heard of this being done where you can just buy a Comcast DVR box. I couldn't find anything online about it. Has anyone here ever heard of this?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
So what did the Best Buy employee say when you asked?

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
I don't think he did.

ssetta

Natick, MA
reply to darcilicious
He explained that like these are the ones that they sell in the store, though you can rent them if you wanted to, and they're designed to work with the Comcast service. But my question is, why would Comcast still rent them out if you could buy them in a store and not have to pay a rental fee? I'm sure that if it really was true that you could buy it in the store, nobody would ever rent them and so then what would the point of renting them out be?

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ
What would happen if you moved out of a comcast area? Some people might not want the high upfront cost.

Who replaces the box when it goes bad. They go bad all the time.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to ssetta
said by ssetta:

I was in Best Buy today, and I saw they have these DVR boxes on the shelf in boxes. It's like you buy them there, and they're designed to work with Comcast. But the question is, can you actually BUY them, or do you just pick them up there, but you still have to rent them? Because if they made it so you don't have to rent them, that would be great.
WOW!! 7 replies in this thread and no one has the right answer yet?

The boxes they have in Best Buy are just models only. That is, if they are the Motorola boxes (or Cisco, Depending on where you are)

They're just there to show you the service, let you "put your hands on them" and if you're wanting, sign up for service. You still get a "rented" box from a comcast tech when they come to your home to install it for ya.

However, it MAY be possible that they have a different set up in your area if they have actual company DVRs in boxes. To this day, they do not sell you the box UNLESS it's a Tivo, which you buy, and rent a cable card. It's POSSIBLE that your area lets you bring the box with you and it's activated for you.

But yea, you should have asked them there. But, Comcast doesn't sell DVRs.. or, I should say, Best Buy doesn't sell DVRs other than Tivo.. the rest are still rented/leased through Comcast.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to ssetta
said by ssetta:

You are able to buy and own them in best buy Canada

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Yes in Canada you can buy the boxes but not in the USA.
--
Caddy

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
reply to ssetta
I was at the Best Buy in Joliet, IL Saturday and 2 Comcast reps where there. If you signed up at the store, they would issue you a brand new DCX 3400 HD-DVR which they had on hand.
--
Who?...Me?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
Self-install kit, availability differs from market to market. Some areas require a truck roll for new service. The box is still "rented", even though a Best Buy employee handed it to you, you are still leasing it through Comcast.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
Which is actually no different than when you "purchase" a leased DirecTV receiver at BB these days. (that's why there's that big "you are purchasing leased equipment" sticker on all DirecTV boxes) Even though you bought it thru BB, DirecTV still owns it, & you must return it upon termination of service.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
reply to ssetta
Is there a big Comcast kiosk in the store? Comcast has "store-in-store" locations with Best Buy in some areas where they have a nice, elaborate counter in the store. That's probably why the boxes were there.

chewch99

join:2008-04-20
united state
You probably walked into a best buy that had a Comcast Connection Center in it. In these stores Comcast has reps and customers can start service or existing customers can upgrade their service, add a HD box or HD DVR, etc. You take the box with you, but it's still a rental and you can not buy the box.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to ssetta
Semi-related, for those that are used to getting a STB from a local Comcast office, they come pre-authorized. Usually you just plug them in at home, and they are good to go (sometimes you keep to call and have the automated system activated).

For those that get them thru the mail, or apparently now, at a Best Buy, there is a fairly intensive interactive process with a live agent in order to get them activated and working. So, even if you could steal a box from BB, it would be a brick once you got it home.

Jeff

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to ssetta
Not that i know but im guessing this goes inline with comcasts attempt at self installing everything. In other words they make the sale and hope it works. But yea its still going to be a rental box.

dubenezic

Jersey City, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to fiberguy
"WOW!! 7 replies in this thread and no one has the right answer yet?"

I try to avoid Best Buy whenever possible.

guest_anon

@mycingular.net
reply to jwhite4
@Jeff,

Ever since Comcast begun encrypting almost all their channels, I could no longer rely on my HDTV's built-in HD tuner. Previously, I need not pay Comcast any cable box rental fees since I just use my HDTV's tuner.

Now, with all the channels being encrypted, it seems Comcast can by default re-coup this rental revenue. This is unfair.

Why can't an end user have the right to purchase (or acquire via any other means) and own their cable box?

It seems the end user is now forced to pay a monthly charge to Comcast for the rest of their lives if you wish to watch TV. The Federal govt should prevent this type of practice to gouge rental revenues from end users and offer us an option to own our cable boxes.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by guest_anon :

@Jeff,

Ever since Comcast begun encrypting almost all their channels, I could no longer rely on my HDTV's built-in HD tuner. Previously, I need not pay Comcast any cable box rental fees since I just use my HDTV's tuner.

Now, with all the channels being encrypted, it seems Comcast can by default re-coup this rental revenue. This is unfair.

Why can't an end user have the right to purchase (or acquire via any other means) and own their cable box?

It seems the end user is now forced to pay a monthly charge to Comcast for the rest of their lives if you wish to watch TV. The Federal govt should prevent this type of practice to gouge rental revenues from end users and offer us an option to own our cable boxes.
Comcast owns the lines. It is their system, not yours. They can do whatever they want. If they want to make you use a box they rent to you, they can. If you don't like it, you can go to another provider.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

And we have a winner!! lol

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to guest_anon
That's what CableCard was for, except it's a failure.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to guest_anon
said by guest_anon :

Cable did all they could to make cable card a failure. The new allvid solution should help bring things back to normal. Really box rentals are a cable gravy train. Why competition in this market is not allowed is strange..
--
They Live... We Sleep...

“Spreading the wealth around” never results in a better outcome for people. It always results in destruction.

CaliGuy5

join:2008-01-22
Fremont, CA
reply to adkinsjm
said by adkinsjm:

That's what CableCard was for, except it's a failure.
It's a failure, except mine works. After all the stories I was hearing about getting a CableCard to work, I was expecting a long, if not impossible process. I went to the Comcast office, got a CableCard, came home, inserted it into the CableCard slot in my Toshiba tv, called Comcast to activate it, they did and within about 5 minutes it was working and has since for the past year. I must be the exception.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

said by guest_anon :

Cable did all they could to make cable card a failure. The new allvid solution should help bring things back to normal. Really box rentals are a cable gravy train. Why competition in this market is not allowed is strange..
I have installed 5 cables cards with no problems at all. I am not a technical person.
--
Caddy

goldy5

join:2000-11-14
Augusta, GA
reply to guest_anon
Actually the dcma says you can but a loophole in says that comcast doesn't have to accept and activate it even if it is exactly the same box they are renting. Which is why you don't see many makers selling directly to the public.
--
Never chase a dragon with a butterfly net. It annoys the dragon and will probably get you burnt!

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by goldy5:

Actually the dcma says you can but a loophole in says that comcast doesn't have to accept and activate it even if it is exactly the same box they are renting. Which is why you don't see many makers selling directly to the public.
if it a Motorola or SA box they won't activate it. They are not sold to the general public in the USA. If you have a Motorola or SA box it probably is is stolen. That why Comcast will not activate it.
--
Caddy

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

said by DaveDude:

said by guest_anon :

I have installed 5 cables cards with no problems at all. I am not a technical person.
Well 3 techs from comcast took 4 tries to get mine working, i guess your better then most comcast techs.
--
They Live... We Sleep...

“Spreading the wealth around” never results in a better outcome for people. It always results in destruction.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

Why?

If you are a knowledgeable customer (which you should be), you don't deal with the salesfolks at all (except to ask for directions, as the layout of each store may differ). I've shopped at BB for a decade (several different ones), and I do my due-dilligence beforehand, and only deal with the salesfolks for directions, and then take my own purchase to the register.

There's nothing wrong with big-box retailers (including BB or even Wal-Mart); however, that is no excuse for not using your brain beforehand.