join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Dropped audio

I have a PAP2T connected to voip.ms. It seems that the party on the other end of the call gets frequent short blips of lost audio. It is rarely enough to interrupt the conversation, it's just annoying. The connection sounds fine on my end most of the time.

I have a cable modem with 10Mb down and 1 Mb up. The problem happens whether I am using the internet or the VOIP connection is the only thing using my connection.

Over the last several months I have been doing tests with »www.voipreview.org/voips ··· ter.aspx. I am not sure if this is a reliable test to use or not.

Below are today's results:

The Quality of Service has always measured as poor. My Jitter is usually higher.

I have two questions:

1) What do I need to tell my ISP to have them try and fix this?

2) If my ISP is unable to fix this, is there anything I can do on my end to improve my connection?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

For an additional opinion, I would look at (BOTH OF) these:

»www.speedtest.net/
»www.pingtest.net/

You say, "I have a cable modem with 10Mb down and 1 Mb up". Is that the maximum for the modem, or is that what your ISP is supposed to be delivering? Your true speeds are way lower, as I am sure you noticed.

Your MOS score of 3.8 is not great at all.....

I doubt that your ISP is going to care much. They would want to sell you their own phone service.

Unless there is a competitor ISP that you could threaten to switch to....

But as far as your end: What router do you have? Does it have good QoS functions?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Go here: »myspeed.visualware.com/ . Choose a server near you. Click VoIP. Click "Click to start test". After test runs, select the graph and post it.
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952

Any of these tests are between you and the test server, which has little to do with the quality of the path between you and voip.ms (or any other provider). It assumes the "last mile" is the weak link. That's not always the case.

You could have problem free phone service and horrible test results.

You can use the results as another data point, but they are not conclusive.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 edit

Stewart

said by voiptalk:

Any of these tests are between you and the test server, which has little to do with the quality of the path between you and voip.ms (or any other provider).
Not always. For example the Los Angeles test server (not coincidentally) is myspeed.phonepower.com, on the same subnet and in the same data center as the PP media servers.

(Because of the way Visualware is set up, if you go to myspeed.phonepower.com directly, you see only a speed test.)

Edit: Of course, it's possible for your Internet routing to change between calls, or even during a call, but a series of tests should still allow a valid assessment.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to voiptalk

Premium Member

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

Any of these tests are between you and the test server, which has little to do with the quality of the path between you and voip.ms (or any other provider). It assumes the "last mile" is the weak link. That's not always the case.
Yes, you are right I am assuming that the "last mile" is the weak link. However, I have tried changing my server from US3 (California) to US2 (Texas) and the problem still happens. When I do a traceroute on each of these servers from my location, they take completely different paths (as expected).

This is what led me to believe that the problem is with my last mile.
crazyk4952

crazyk4952 to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

Go here: »myspeed.visualware.com/ . Choose a server near you. Click VoIP. Click "Click to start test". After test runs, select the graph and post it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't get that page to load. I have tried on a couple of different computers and the Java applet just sits there refusing to do anything
crazyk4952

crazyk4952 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

For an additional opinion, I would look at (BOTH OF) these:

»www.speedtest.net/
»www.pingtest.net/

I usually test a little higher with the speedtest.net site

Whenever I have used the pingtest.net site in the past, I always get a "B" rating and it measures my jitter around 13ms.
said by PX Eliezer704:

But as far as your end: What router do you have? Does it have good QoS functions?
I currently have a Linksys WRT54G2 with the DD-WRT firmware. I have my QoS set to give the PAP2T the highest priority.
crazyk4952

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Here is something else that I just noticed.

When I call my DID from a landline to check my voicemail, I head the audio dropouts during the voice prompts and the message...

Maybe the problem is with voip.ms?
crazyk4952

1 edit

crazyk4952

Premium Member

OK so the problem does not seem to be my internet.

I have recently purchased a toll free DID from voip.ms. Any incoming calls received on my toll free DID work perfectly, no dropped audio at all. In fact, the audio quality seems much better!

However, whenever I get calls on my primary DID (non toll free), these are the calls that get the dropped audio.

Both DIDs can be routed to the main voip.ms account that is registered to Line 2 on my ATA and have different results (the primary DID gets dropped audio and the toll free DID sounds perfect).

I have filed a trouble ticket with voip.ms, but frankly it has gotten nowhere with a lot of back-and-forth. They keep implying it may be my ATA or the CODEC I am using (G.711).

So I tried routing each DID to a DISA (thus eliminating the ATA altogether). So I tired calling my primary DID from a POTS line, and what do ya know, dropped audio packets... without it being routed to the ATA!

I do not know much about how VOIP works on the back-end, but it really seems to be a problem that happens on voip.ms's end.

I welcome any feedback that anyone has

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

You may want to test by routing both DIDs to the Echo Test.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

You may want to test by routing both DIDs to the Echo Test.
I have tried that and I still get the dropped audio.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

Have you tested with every VoIP.ms server?

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

Have you tested with every VoIP.ms server?
I have tried the california server and the dallas server and saw no difference between them.

I could try all of the other servers, but it takes me a couple of days to test this (since I do not have access to another non-VOIP line at home) and it is a minor PITA to rerecord my outgoing voicemail greeting everytime I change to a new server...
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101

Premium Member

I have a voip.ms DID that exhibits the same loss (short blips) of audio. I suspect that it is in the lower priced DID as mine is one of the .99/mth numbers vs. one of the 1.49/mth DIDs. I assume this is a "value" route vs. a "premium" route. The fact you toll free number works seems to support a route issue.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by Jet101:

I have a voip.ms DID that exhibits the same loss (short blips) of audio. I suspect that it is in the lower priced DID as mine is one of the .99/mth numbers vs. one of the 1.49/mth DIDs. I assume this is a "value" route vs. a "premium" route. The fact you toll free number works seems to support a route issue.
Well actually, I pay the higher rate for my DID ($6.95/month). So I don't think it has much to do with the price you pay.
drak0
join:2009-05-16

drak0 to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
These issues are why I'm scared to port my main business DID from callcentric to voip.ms - I love voip.ms' routing features but I don't fully trust them... yet Right now I'm just forwarding my CC DID to them for routing (and it's been working great). I'm also using them for outbound (premium) calling and they has been fantastic!

I'd love to find out what the issue is to this problem... please keep us up to date.

It's not a premium vs. value issue as inbound calls do not have that distinction...

Good luck!

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 edit

crazyk4952

Premium Member

I will post back here if this issue gets resolved. I may try to call their support line today, if I have time since the online support has not been able to resolve this issue.

As far as Callcentric goes, if this issue does not get resolved, I may port over to them. I wouldn't mind even forwarding this back to voip.ms, but then I would not be able to get E911 through voip.ms anymore and I need E911.

Edit: Callcentric has had a few issues lately. For instance, my ATA is unable to connect to them right now. This is at least the 2nd time in the last few days that they have been down