how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lastmile

join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

Wireless packet loss

Greetings all -- I have been starting to encounter packet loss via AT&T 3G service. I access the service via 3G watcher, AT&T Comm. Mgr. and mainly share the connection via Cradlepoint MBR1000. The service has been great for well over one year but it has been quite rough over past month.

I'm curious if a certain amount of packet-loss is considered normal on 3G wireless networks but I'm starting to suspect the issues could be congestion-related as it tends to climb throughout the day.

Forcing a 2G connection does seem to improve the reliability as the packet-loss is not as apparent.

Under no-load, packet-loss is almost at zero over many hours but once I start to put a load on it (browsing, downloading, VPN, etc), I start incurring anywhere from 20-50% packet-loss (>4000ms TTL) which makes the connection unreliable and unusable.

I've tried new sim cards and different laptop cards but the problem remains. I have tickets open with the provider now but I'm curious to know if there are suggestions or similar experiences in respect to "packet-loss" on wireless networks.

Thanks!