Search similar:

uniqs

bfloeagle
join:2001-02-09
Depew, NY

1 edit

bfloeagle

RR 30/5 Ubee - Disable password reset?

I just got RR 30/5 and the new Ubee modem. Things are looking good but I have been noticing that the Ubee modem is "forgetting" the password I set on it frequently. I reset the modem, change the settings, change the password and all is good, but when I try again the next day, my password does not work. AFAIK, the settings are still in tact as my DHCP setup (not the OOTB one) is still working and the wireless is still disabled...

I did some hunting on these forums and saw some people mention that the Ubee is not to be configured by the user, only by Time Warner. Searching on the Google shows that this happens to a lot of other people as well and they end up just reseting it, using the default username and password, then they are on their way until another change happens where they need to reset the modem again.

I'd rather not have to reset the router/modem everytime I want to check in on it or make a setting change. Does anyone know why the Ubee does this? It is phoning home to RR and getting a password reset every once in awhile?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Let's get you moved over to our Road Runner forum for some help with this.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bfloeagle

Premium Member

to bfloeagle
"Does anyone know why the Ubee does this? It is phoning home to RR and getting a password reset every once in awhile?"

You are correct, the modem is being reset to a Time Warner controlled user name and password. You can put your own router behind the modem and control your network that way. Call Tier 3 and ask them to put your modem into bridge mode and disable the wireless.

Hob

bfloeagle
Depew, NY

bfloeagle

Thank you for confirming. That's actually what I had setup before so when I got the Ubee, it just because another router in front of my router.

Odd question though, be gentle. How do I get directly to Tier 3 support? Every time I've had to call tech support (granted, only two times in the last year and it was a wide spread problem), they assume I know nothing and lets just say that the phone call is not pleasant.

Thanks again!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

When you get through on the service number tell the agent that you need to speak with Tier 3 Buffalo, or send me your Account number by PM and I will have one of them call.

Hob

bfloeagle
Depew, NY

bfloeagle

Called, asked for Tier 3, rep checked that I really needed to go to Tier 3 (hardware change is a good reason I guess ), spoke to the new rep, two router reboots later, no wireless and in bridge mode. I still can't believe how easy that was.

THANKS!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Glad that worked for you.

Hob