uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1

Domain name registration

If it is a wrong question for this forum, MOD, please move it.

I have not been doing domain name registration for several years, and I just to need to create a domain name for a friend. I tried godaddy. The thing is, whatever I tried, lets say, abcde.com, it was available, then the next page will say my session has timed out, it was either in my cart or I had to start over again. Well, the cart was empty. When I started over again, the very same name was taken and interestingly, I could buy it (from godaddy I presume) for $69.99. I did it several time (with different names) with the same result. WTF. Can anyone render his/her personal/bussiness experience on that?

I am not going to respond to any responds, just to collect info.

TIA.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

It's a clever way to make them some more money.
Try another domain name provider...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey
reply to ChiTang

I use name.com

SirMeowmix_I

@eliablehosting.com
reply to ChiTang

I use SimpleURL.com, a reseller for eNOM I believe, $12/yr and the behavior you speak of is called "taste-testing" and ICANN did not like it one bit.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to ChiTang

You can use whois.org or samspade.org, or »ws.arin.net/whois/ (or a myriad of other sites) to lookup WHOIS information. If, as in your example, acbde.com is not registered, whois.org and samspade.org, among others, will let you know that.

Technically a registrar should not provide invalid information, though I don't know how far you would get actually reporting it.

Squatting for the sake of squatting is frowned upon and - last i checked - against the rules. It is nearly impossible to prove though except in the situation of a well known business or personality. Every now and again cyber squatting cases come up in court.

Whatever service you are using sounds fishy and is not one I would ever visit again were I in your shoes.

There are many legit registrars.

Expand your moderator at work

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to ChiTang

Re: Domain name registration

I switched from Godaddy to Namecheap long ago, not a problem.

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
Alhambra, CA
reply to ChiTang

Well, thanks to all the input.

I ended up using simpleurl.com, one year domain registration plus 1 mailbox for $24.00/yr.

My friend had a medical practice, he closed down his clinic and worked for a big hospital now, his patient record and billing record is handled by another company. The company will email him the info upon request but the company only email to an address with his own domain. He only needs it for 1-2 years.

Again, thanks.
--

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

name.com with google apps (free) turned on would have given you the same for about $9/yr

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
Alhambra, CA

I checked b4 but couldn't find email service without a hosting service.
--

kieranmullen
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

You don't need a hosting service to use google apps email...just a domain company that allows modification of dns records domains are all less that $10 nowadays

Expand your moderator at work