how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ineedhelpz

join:2010-05-01

http://192.168.2.1 NOT WORKING!

Hey guys, I need some help.
Yesterday, I put a WPA thing on my router. It took 5 minutes to implement. But In that 5 minutes I thought it wasn't going to work. That's when I changed it a couple times.

Now I got my password on and every computer works in the house except for my mother's.
The IP got changed to. - How do i change it back to 192.168.2.1 because I need it to change a couple things.

Or is there a way I can change everything back to the first time I got this??

thanks.

Mem

join:2002-01-03
White Plains, NY

2 edits

The router manufacturer and model would help... but usually there is a small reset switch on the back that you can press in for 5 or so sec. and the router will be back at factory defaults. That's if you are referring to getting the router back to defaults.

Otherwise, there should be an admin page wher you assign the router IP, something like Network->LAN->IP Address and Subnet mask.

Since the other computers work it sounds like it is just the one computer that is misconfigured.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to ineedhelpz

hmmm...all you did was enable WPA and no other changes? Then 2 things.

1 is to make sure the wireless card of the computer not working supports WPA. Some older and cheap odd brand name ones don't, as they may not allow the firmware to be loaded to support WPA(even though there is no physical change to the hardware necessary). If it's actually WPA2, older hardware will not support it, even if the chip allows loading of newer firmware, as this requires an actual change to the chipset to support AES.

2 is to make sure the keys match. Passphrase mode sometimes will not work right at syncing keys. You may need to enter the actual key on the host and the client, if this happens.

And oh yes, make sure the driver version is new enough to contain firmware that supports WPA, if your card is an older card.
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

francedol

join:2010-01-05
reply to ineedhelpz

When you mentioned 192.168.2.1 - believe you are referring to a Belkin router ... arent u?? if yes, please reply me stating wat is the OS on your mom's comp ...XP, Vista, WIN 7 .. i dont think you need to reset router since all other computers works fine.. all you need to do is remove preferred networks and associate w/l.. reply back if you need further assistance

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

Too many assumptions. My router also happens to have a factory default of 192.168.2.1, but it's not a Belkin. It does use a Broadcom chipset, like many Belkins do, however. I also don't run any version of Windows, I run Linux. While not too many moms run it, more and more are running OS X due to ever increasing threats against Windows and family desiring a more trouble-free computing experience for those family members who only know very basic security, if any. Which brings up something interesting: I believe OS X defaults to trying to connect to any open AP in range, IIRC. An open AP does not necessarily have internet access behind it. In this case, it may connect but 192.168.2.1 would be "not working" if that router had a different default address. I am not sure the Win7 default for wireless but you could probably chime in with that one. Just another small possibility.
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux