how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

[MA] MWRA Aqueduct Failure

Yeah, I've been gone for a bit, but I happened on by today while there is a public service shout-out for Bostonians.

If you live in an MWRA (MA Water Resources Authority) community east of Weston, Gov. Patrick has issued a "boil water" order for your community. A major aqueduct in Weston, MA has failed catastrophically, and the MWRA is using other supplies to service the region now.

»www.mwra.com/ -- assuming you can even access the site.

I live out in Framingham, which is an MWRA community but well west of Weston, so I'm alright, but those in Boston, Cambridge, Newton, Waltham and others may want to take care.

As I was out with friends in East Boston today, we went shopping and saw all the shelves at Shaw's mostly depleted, with makeshift notes about limits of drinking water sales today.
--
-Frosty, KB1PVK

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
kudos:2
It's all good in Cambridge - we have our own separate water supply.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey
reply to Frostbite
Bedford flipped a switch and changed over to drawing from Burlington so we weren't affected either.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
reply to Frostbite
I've seen images of the break on the news. Holy s**t, what a gusher! It looks like a river just opened up in the middle of the road.

I haven't heard reports of property damages or anything but with that gusher, there had to be!

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to Frostbite
And now they're saying the water was safe to drink all along. Man, I'll bet people are pissed about that. Probably would have been better if they didn't say anything about that....

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to Dominokat
Well, the location of the burst is near the river, not really near any homes, as I understand it. The water that gushed out went straight for the Charles River.
--
-Frosty, KB1PVK

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Frostbite
My drilled well (300 feet down) can refresh at 35 gallons per minute. The average house uses about 4 gallons per minute. So, I have plenty of water. Unfortunately, I have to keep up a $2300 water softening system as well as a radon reduction system. But the end result, I do end up with "good" water and have plenty of it!

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey
When are you putting in the pool?