spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matthopp

join:2009-05-14

Frontier - When uploading, download speed is terrible.

Can someone explain to me what's going on with my Frontier Internet Service?

If I'm browsing the web, or downloading something I get the normal speeds I should get, however, if I try to upload a file somewhere (FTP/YouTube/etc) the entire time the upload is going on, download and browsing are extremely slow.

Now, I understand that packets have to go back and forth even when I'm downloading a webpage, but I've never seen anything like this before. It's like while I'm uploading, the connection can't handle data coming down the pipe.

Is this normal?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
This is normal network operation. The TCP Protocol uses ACKs to talk to the server you are downloading from to let it know that you are receiving data. The amount of bandwidth these ACKs take up depend on your downloading speed. When saturating your upload entirely, these ACKs become delayed, and as a result the server throttles back the connection speed. This is a simple way to put it.

The solution? You can use a router that supports Quality of Service to prioritize certain data types to be sent out first. You can also use a program on your PC if at all possible to throttle the upload speeds a little bit.

On my Frontier line, whenever I max out my download, the latency to the first hop goes from 15ms to 160ms-300ms, and download speeds go from 3200kbps down to 1000-2000kbps, and this is without Quality of Service unless the SpeedStream is doing something. My Verizon line has QoS performed on it through the modem. When the upload is being saturated and the download is requested, the modem slows upstream traffic slightly for the network, allowing ACKS to get out fast enough to keep the download speeds at full speed.
--
This is a signature, eaten by spring.

matthopp

Figured as much. I've just never seen it this bad on any Internet connection before. Maybe the gigaset just handles prioritization really poorly.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
The Gigaset the last I checked has no QoS settings what so ever, so it has nothing to do with it. I have an SE567 in service on a Verizon Business DSL connection mainly to retire a Westell 2200 which is 7+ years old now. I've checked the ins and outs of that modem away from the hidden pages and there are no QoS settings except for the ATM options in the VC settings (which won't do anything in the first place as changing those will make the service not work). On this SE567 I have, I can max the upload and the download will slow down just slightly, though not horribly.

One thing I can say though, there are options within programs such as Firefox for TCP Socket buffer. In Firefox I've found the option for network.tcp.sendbuffer to be set too high for a 384kbps connection, so I generally turn it down to 10000 or even use 0 as a value for it. Keeps the latency nice and low as well as helps with the speed. Try adjusting that if you use Firefox (Opera has such an option as well, though it is determined in Kilobytes) and using HTML-based uploaders. Now what this option does is pretty much common sense. It will buffer data into the network to an extent for it to be uploaded, and will keep filling the buffer of data waiting to be sent. This of course delays packets.
--

matthopp

I'm not seeing the network.tcp.sendbuffer or even network.tcp as a setting in about:config in Firefox... hrmm.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Click for full size
Send Buffer option
It's there, I can assure you. If it isn't what version of Firefox are you running?
--

matthopp

3.6.4 - Macintosh (wonder if that makes a difference?)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Not sure. I don't have access to a Mac at the moment to find the value in about:config.
--