Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig

Re: DD-WRT will fix small/tiny NAT table in Linksys WRT54Gv6?

said by dellsweig:

Finally) do you have any idea what a NAT table is?
I see/saw a FAQ about one is.

I point to »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
said by dellsweig:

1) Why do you think you have a small tiny NAT table
2) What problem are you really having and why do you think its NAT table related
Those two questions seem to be almost the same.

If I port forwarded in my Linksys WRT54Gv2 running tomato firmare, in MS Flight Sim 2002 I could for example:

#1 Follow chocolatesoftware.com -> fshostspy -> help where it says Joining a Game. This includes connecting (joining the session).

#2 Then if I good still connect to the net. For example, go to google.com

#3 But with this router (Linksys WRT54Gv6 with it's current firmware), if I enter the IP Address and click search I can not access to net (OR access to the router's controls). The only that I can access the router and or the net, is to turn off and back on the power to this router.
said by dellsweig:

3) What if any change would you expect if you were able to increase the size of the NAT table
I am not sure of how to answer this for sure, but I can try: Be able to enter an IP Address in MS Filght Sim 2002, press search, and not get kicked offline (or not able to access to the router's controls).

--

If you have a better answer to what is going on then a small/tiny NAT table in this router, please tell me.

PS. Current firmware of Linksys WRT54G v6 is Linksys firmware v1.02.5.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

dellsweig

MVM

said by aefstoggaflm:
said by dellsweig:

Finally) do you have any idea what a NAT table is?
I see/saw a FAQ about one is.

I point to »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
said by dellsweig:

1) Why do you think you have a small tiny NAT table
2) What problem are you really having and why do you think its NAT table related
Those two questions seem to be almost the same.

If I port forwarded in my Linksys WRT54Gv2 running tomato firmare, in MS Flight Sim 2002 I could for example:

#1 Follow chocolatesoftware.com -> fshostspy -> help where it says Joining a Game. This includes connecting (joining the session).

#2 Then if I good still connect to the net. For example, go to google.com

#3 But with this router (Linksys WRT54Gv6 with it's current firmware), if I enter the IP Address and click search I can not access to net (OR access to the router's controls). The only that I can access the router and or the net, is to turn off and back on the power to this router.
said by dellsweig:

3) What if any change would you expect if you were able to increase the size of the NAT table
I am not sure of how to answer this for sure, but I can try: Be able to enter an IP Address in MS Filght Sim 2002, press search, and not get kicked offline (or not able to access to the router's controls).

--

If you have a better answer to what is going on then a small/tiny NAT table in this router, please tell me.

PS. Current firmware of Linksys WRT54G v6 is Linksys firmware v1.02.5.
First - I hesitate to follow your links - gaming and gaming related activities just dont happen on my network

My guess is you have a port forwarding issue - hat the security of the NAT on the linksys is hiding the private addresses on the inside of the NAT (as it should).

Simply find out what ports your game needs forwarded, forward them and you should be good to go.

It is BASIC network security NOT to be able to "see" inside addresses from the WAN.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by dellsweig:

First - I hesitate to follow your links - gaming and gaming related activities just dont happen on my network

My guess is you have a port forwarding issue - hat the security of the NAT on the linksys is hiding the private addresses on the inside of the NAT (as it should).

Simply find out what ports your game needs forwarded, forward them and you should be good to go.

It is BASIC network security NOT to be able to "see" inside addresses from the WAN.
Nice theory/concept, but no.

#1 When I was behind my new router (DX-E402 V1 10C2225B)

#2 I was not forwarding ports in this router.

#3 After I go to MS Flight SIM 2002 and start searching for sessions:

While I can not find a session to connect to without port forwarding, my connection to the router and to net still works.

--

That was the trouble with my Linksys WRT54G v6, it killed my connection to the router and to net.

Thankfully, the Linksys WRT54G v6 is not the primary router*.

Primary router* = the one that is handling the public IP.