spc
Search similar:

uniqs

amess
@telus.net

amess

Anon

[DSL] ADSL2+ modems that don't suck

Back in the days of the original Alcatel SpeedTouch Home, ADSL modems didn't need to be regularly power cycled to keep them running. Now, I've been afflicted with a Thomson Speedtouch that crashes every three days like clockwork.

Are there any ADSL2+ modems on the market that are as reliable as ADSL modems used to be before consumerization?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I use one of these. It's very reliable.

»www.tp-link.com/products ··· D-W8920G
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly to amess

Premium Member

to amess
Like you, I am also interested in purchasing a very reliable ADSL2+ modem. But I am only looking for a modem. Preferably without a router/wireless capability as I want to use my WRT600N for that.

I am currently renting one from CenturyLink and I hate the idea of paying them any more than I need to.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

1 edit

Zac

Premium Member

One suggestion, Try out the Thomson Speedtouch 516. I have 2 of them and they have both been rock solid, never had to reboot either of them. Not sure what modem Thomson you have, but the 516v6 is great.

»www.speedtouch.ca/pdf/Da ··· 16v6.pdf

Great modem, no wireless or built in router, Just an ADSL2+ modem.
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly

Premium Member

Update: I ended up buying a TP-Link DSL Modem/Router (TD-8817: »www.tp-link.com/products ··· =TD-8817) from Fry's for about $30. It works perfectly after following some of the instructions listed on the CenturyLink forum. Luckily, CL uses DHCP and not PPPoE and setup was pretty much a breeze.