spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SamanthaMe

@comcast.net

[Connectivity] Arris TM702G

I'm a new Comcast cable & voice customer, and at install they came with an Arris TM702G/CT cable modem. It is a DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA modem with two lines for VoIP, on lease from Comcast.

The trouble is, I don't want to lease, I want to buy my own, but Comcast said I can't and that no one sells it. Looking online, I cannot find this modem for purchase. Is there an alternative / comparable modem I can purchase instead that offers the same features / specifications?

Thanks in advance.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:5
said by SamanthaMe :

I'm a new Comcast cable & voice customer, and at install they came with an Arris TM702G/CT cable modem. It is a DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA modem with two lines for VoIP, on lease from Comcast.

The trouble is, I don't want to lease, I want to buy my own, but Comcast said I can't and that no one sells it. Looking online, I cannot find this modem for purchase. Is there an alternative / comparable modem I can purchase instead that offers the same features / specifications?

Thanks in advance.
a simple search would have told you no....only certain shops let you buy them...most dont.....

its a safety/lawsuit issue.....due to 911.....if comcast keeps phone equip in house, there can be no issues whena 911 concern is raised (he said she said crap)

SamanthaMe

@comcast.net
Thank you for the post. No comments on your "simple easy search" reply ....

So the Arris TM702G can't be bought from elsewhere. Is there an alternative / comparable to it? Different manufacturer? There was no comment as to that.

Also, sorry, but the reasoning with 911 / lawsuit issues doesn't make much sense. They told me when I signed up with them that I could either lease or buy one. Not the case.

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA
said by SamanthaMe :

Thank you for the post. No comments on your "simple easy search" reply ....

So the Arris TM702G can't be bought from elsewhere. Is there an alternative / comparable to it? Different manufacturer? There was no comment as to that.

Also, sorry, but the reasoning with 911 / lawsuit issues doesn't make much sense. They told me when I signed up with them that I could either lease or buy one. Not the case.
Very very very few comcast markets allow you to purchase the Emta from them. There is no emta provider that I know that sells directly to a consumer like cable modems do. Sorry that's the best info that I can give. However don't buy anything off ebay or craigs list. Those are 99.9999999999999% likely to be stolen

SamanthaMe

@comcast.net
Thanks much for the reply and advice. I really appreciate it! Not happy about the news, but thanks anyway!!!

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to SamanthaMe
Why not lease? I'm a new customer and it's only $3/month....

Leasing has it's advantages over owning... Just consider the $36 per year like an extended warranty...If the Modem dies they replace it and provision the replacement free of charge.

Plus, there's zero chance of them thinking that they own your purchased modem as has happened from time to time to different people b/c of billing snafu's

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to gar187er
"its a safety/lawsuit issue.....due to 911.....if comcast keeps phone equip in house, there can be no issues whena 911 concern is raised (he said she said crap"

That's bull. I came from cablevision and they have no problem letting customers purchase their own modem, whether they have voice or not. CV does not charge a lease fee for their modems, so it's not an issue.

All a customer has to do is call CV and they will provision it. Comcast uses that as a bogus excuse to extort $5 from every household.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

1 edit
said by dubenezic:

That's bull. I came from cablevision and they have no problem letting customers purchase their own modem, whether they have voice or not. CV does not charge a lease fee for their modems, so it's not an issue.

All a customer has to do is call CV and they will provision it. Comcast uses that as a bogus excuse to extort $5 from every household.
Guess you haven't looked at the Cablevision TOS lately have you because you're only partially correct.

In digging deeper in to the Optimum Voice TOS (»www.optimum.net/Terms/OV) They DO say that they do not charge a monthly fee for the use of the provided modem, HOWEVER they also say that while one can be purchased for use.... it has to be purchased from them. No where in their TOS or AUP do they say that they allow a Cablevision/Optimum customer to go to their corner electronics store and purchase and hook up their own modem...

It looks like they are doing the same as Comcast by keeping everything under their control even if it's for different reasons... lol

said by »www.optimum.net/Terms/OV :
Equipment required: Optimum Voice service requires a voice-enabled cable modem. Cablevision will supply a voice-enabled modem without charge for so long as Subscriber remains an Optimum Voice Subscriber or until Cablevision changes this service offering. Upon termination of either Optimum Voice or Optimum Online Service for any reason, Subscriber may be asked to return the Cablevision supplied (excluding purchased modems) voice-enabled cable modem within thirty (30) days or Subscriber will be charged an equipment fee equal to the fee charged by Cablevision at the time the voice-enabled modem was supplied by Cablevision. Alternatively, Subscriber may purchase a voice-enabled cable modem from Cablevision. The cost for the purchase of the voice-enabled modem will be charged to Subscriber's Cablevision service bill. In the event Subscriber purchases the voice-enabled cable modem from Cablevision and terminates services within thirty (30) days, Subscriber may return the modem for a full credit of the purchase price.
Also found here: »www.optimum.com/voice/index.jsp is a small link that reads "See Optimum Voice details."

said by »www.optimum.com/details.jsp?note ··· _details :
Optimum Voice is a cable modem service available exclusively to Optimum Online customers providing unlimited calling to the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and requires Internet access via Optimum Online to complete activation. An Optimum Voice-ready cable modem will be provided for the term of your service. Upon cancellation of both the Optimum Online and Optimum Voice services, customer must return the modem or be subject to a non-return fee of $100. If keeping your current phone number, a number activation fee may apply to residential accounts. Optimum Voice does not support directory listed numbers, pay services or third-party billing. Call Forwarding and Find Me are not available outside the continental United States. Voicemail and International Calling require consumer activation via the My Optimum Voice Web portal. International calls are billed via credit or debit card and a minimum charge is required at set-up. Flat rate international calling plan also available. Per minute charges apply for calls made to destinations in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada using remote access. Remote calls made from pay phones are subject to a $0.35 per call charge, in addition to the per-minute charge. Optimum Voice uses household electrical power to operate and will not function in the event of a power outage (a back-up battery can be purchased separately at optimumstore.com). 911 will not operate if you lose power. 911 service requires that customer provide notification to Cablevision if cable modem is moved to a different address. Cablevision does not support the use of any Optimum Voice service as a connection for (i) emergency medical alert systems, (ii) all high security monitoring systems (UL 681 or similar) or (iii) fire alarm systems (UL 864 or similar). Customer must maintain alternate phone connection for such connections. If keeping your current phone number, a transfer charge may apply to residential accounts.
After reading that, I think that Cablevision's Digital Voice is a crock... At least the Arris modems we have with the Comcast offering come with a battery back up and any time the battery fails, you send it back to Comcast and they will send you another one......wait for it.....free.