how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

afd3175

join:2010-05-06
Miami, FL

EOL/Comcast Obsolete cable modem error

Everytime i try to connect on the internet (wireless or with the ethernet cable(directly to the Modem) it takes me to the following page"
»eol.comcast.com
and gives the following error:
"Unable to access the network due to an obsolete cable modem"

The modem we have is a SB4200 which is connected to the desktop computer in one room. The internet works perfectly on the desktop but when i try to hook up the ethernet cable to my laptop or connect wirelessly via my netgear router it gaves me the obsolete modem error.

The SB4200 modem is in the list of comcast approved modems. If the modem was obsolete why would it work for the desktop computer and not the laptop?

Any advice..

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

Are you power cycling the modem everytime you swap it out of the desk top?

dead_screem

join:2004-09-10
Carol Stream, IL

4 edits
reply to afd3175

said by afd3175:

The SB4200 modem is in the list of comcast approved modems. If the modem was obsolete why would it work for the desktop computer and not the laptop?

Any advice..
you must be looking at an obsolete list.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

The official list, the SB4200 is indeed EOL, time to upgrade.

As for why it works on one and not the other, no idea. Are you power cycling the modem between swaps like jjv suggests?

edit: does your desktop have DNS servers defined or set to auto DHCP? If you do have them defined, it could explain why only the desktop works.

afd3175

Miami, FL

You are right , it is EOL. I did not see the right column in the list.

I am not sure i understand about the power cycling but i can check if in the desktop PC the DNS servers are defined or set to auto DHCP. I think its set to auto DHCP, i remember from the the last time i checked ipconfig/all.

Do u guys know if there is a way i can change network settings & make my laptop work the same way too?

Thanks..

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

You need to get a new modem. If you lease, you should have already been contacted about this and been sent a new device. If not, call 1-800-comcast. If you own your own device, I recommend you buy a DOCSIS 3.0 device (Best Buy, Amazon, etc.).
--
JL
Comcast

dead_screem

join:2004-09-10
Carol Stream, IL
reply to afd3175

said by afd3175:

I am not sure i understand about the power cycling
before connecting the modem to another computer you have to unplug the modem from electrical outlet and wait a second or two, then connect the ethernet cable to a different computer, then re-plug it in to the outlet.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to afd3175

said by afd3175:

Do u guys know if there is a way i can change network settings & make my laptop work the same way too?

Thanks..
Honestly, the laptop is working correctly, its the desktop that probably has the hard coded DNS addresses. If you are renting the modem you can exchange it at any Comcast office or if you own it, its time to upgrade. Unless you just bought it from someone else, the amount you've saved over the year(s) will more than offset the new modem. Any local Best Buy and a few other stores sell current approved modems, although bigger discounts can be found online.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine an e-mail was sent out previously, the next step being the redirect you are seeing and at some point I imagine it will stop working completely - hard coded DNS or not.

afd3175

Miami, FL
reply to jlivingood

Thanks!

I was thinking of buying a Motorola SBG900 wireless modem which i think is 75bucks at radioshack.

Would you recommend any other modems ?

Thanks..

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

1 edit

Don't buy that one! You're better off with a decent modem and a separate router. Most folks have been buying the Moto 6120 which is around $80.

Foxy

join:2010-04-10
Eugene, OR

1 edit
reply to afd3175

The Motorola SBG900 was eol almost a year ago. See »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ I had one and just replaced it with an SB6120. The router performance on my SBG900 was horrible from day one -- not good on wired connections and a terrible loss of speed on wireless.

HunterZ

join:2003-07-16
Kent, WA
reply to afd3175

SB6120 is the only modem I'm hearing people talk about being worth buying unless you can't afford it.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to afd3175

Maybe we need to post the definition of Obselete:
1.no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
2.of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
3.(of a linguistic form) no longer in use, esp., out of use for at least the past century.Compare archaic.
4.effaced by wearing down or away.
5.Biology. imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals, as of the opposite sex or of a related species.

afd3175

Miami, FL

Thanks for the info guys, I was going to buy SBG900 today but just checked the list and saw that it has been obsolete since a year now.

The reason I was gonna get SBG900 is because it has the wireless feature too.
Is SB6120 modem wireless?

Also, two of my friends in the same locality who have comcast HSI have been using SBG900 and dont seem to be getting the obsolete cable modem/EOL error?

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

No the 6120 does not have wireless features, however most people here will tell you staying away from the gateways are the way to go. Truth is it's probably better for you to buy a modem and router then to get a combo device.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to Jasonfn22

said by Jasonfn22:

Maybe we need to post the definition of Obselete:
1.no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
2.of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
3.(of a linguistic form) no longer in use, esp., out of use for at least the past century.Compare archaic.
4.effaced by wearing down or away.
5.Biology. imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals, as of the opposite sex or of a related species.
How 'bout simply "abandoned by CC" in particular ?

Foxy

join:2010-04-10
Eugene, OR
reply to afd3175

said by afd3175:

Thanks for the info guys, I was going to buy SBG900 today but just checked the list and saw that it has been obsolete since a year now.

The reason I was gonna get SBG900 is because it has the wireless feature too.
Is SB6120 modem wireless?

Also, two of my friends in the same locality who have comcast HSI have been using SBG900 and dont seem to be getting the obsolete cable modem/EOL error?
The SB6120 is not wireless -- you need to add a separate wireless router to it. Other than cost, that is a good thing; the combined modem/wireless routers are NOT a good thing. However if you aren't convinced, the current version of the SBG900 is the SBG901 and that is on Comcast's supported list. I wouldn't go near it based on the lousy router component of my SBG900 and based on Motorola support at two levels telling me that my experience was normal. Regarding your friends not getting a "obsolete cable modem/EOL error", I didn't either with the SBG900. It was still usable a month ago although the router performance was lousy -- but that wasn't an eol issue. Based on my experience Comcast doesn't notify you when a modem is placed on the eol list.