share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

netflix: How many devices at one time?

Trying to convince my wife that maybe cutting the paid TV service cord could save us some cash.

So I'm trying to gather up some ammo in this effect.

1]Does netflix carry cartoon network cartoons [stuff like johnny test, chowder, etc] Disney stuff?

2]How many people in the house can connect at the same time with one account?
For example there are 4 of us here. 2 adults, 2 kids. Could we all stream stuff from flix at the same time?

We have 4 desktop pcs, 1 ps3, 1 wii, 1 laptop and an ipad. Hence why I am asking about the number of streams allowed at one time.

I know there is Hulu and a couple of other hulu like sites out there as well.

Thank you for the help in this effort, maybe with the right approach and right touch, I can convince her that streaming media is cheaper then paying for TV.
Add to that, we could "rent" movies instead of me going out and buying 4 or 5 a month.
--
Care Bear This: If anything I say offends you, then you have a problem. As I am a stranger to you, so my words should have zero emotional impact on you. If they do, please seek help from Dr. Phil.

gregz

join:2009-10-01

Answer your question, if it is not a movie, it is not on netflix. Most stuff is available on Hulu, RSS, etc, but you will need Play On. As for how many machines, only one per account, and if you where to connect with four streams at the same time, you would saturate your low speed Internet connection to the point that it would be like browsing on a 300 baud or lower modem.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

said by gregz:

Answer your question, if it is not a movie, it is not on netflix.
False.

said by gregz:

As for how many machines, only one per account
Also false. I share my Netflix account with family members that live elsewhere -- we've watched up to 3-4 streams at the same time on many occasions.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

gephc
Premium
join:2003-05-31
Minooka, IL
reply to Snakeoil

You can have up to six streaming devices registered to your account at one time, this includes computers. Computers can drop in and out easily from the website, so it's not really an issue.

I've done streaming with two devices simultaneously with no problems. If you try for six at once, you'll find out how good your internet connection really is.

Current TV episodes are not available from Netflix. But older collections are. (Johnny Test: Yes, Chowder: DVD only, not streaming.)
--
The world is coming to an end! Contribute something before it's all over, we only have ~4x10^9 years left, so do it NOW!
Foundation Beyond Belief

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Snakeoil

Netflix does have a lot of kids stuff in the instant watch. My daughter has been watching Bugs Bunny, Pink Panther, Veggie Tales, Bob The Builder, Barney, Thomas, etc... So kids shows aren't a problem.

btB

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Snakeoil

Netflix does have the Disney shows: Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life on Deck, and Hannah Montana. You can see for yourself what is available for streaming.

»instantwatcher.com/genres/1?orde···itle+asc

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
reply to Snakeoil

Netflix has a free trail available.
--
Purple Drink

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil

You need to factor into your math here that running several streams of video at a time for a few hours a day, you will likely exceed a monthly download cap if your broadband provider enforces one, or is contemplating one. This could force you to upgrade to a business level account which may be more expensive than what you now have. This will depend on your ISP and the competition that's available where you live.

Netflix does have TV shows, but not current season TV, if that's important. If you can wait a season or two to catch some of the shows you now watch on cable, Netflix can supply some of what you want on download. For other shows, you may have to get DVDs. Of course, some shows are available on Hulu, though they've been toying with the idea of going to a pay model, which may still be cheaper than cable.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Snakeoil

We cut the cord mostly, but we kept "limited basic" cable which is basically local broadcast channels. It's cheaper with Comcast to bundle basic TV with internet than it is to have internet alone. I don't know that we've watch the locals at all though, except for the news.

We have two Roku boxes and an HTPC. Between that and our plethora of PCs we have plenty of viewing choices. Lost, Heros, Prison Break...watched them all streaming from Netflix w/o commercials..and there are tons of other things to watch besides. Many broadcasters offer full episodes of their popular shows on their websites too. You can buy single episodes of current show from places like Amazon.

If there are shows that your kids really like, you could prob just by them a new DVD every month and still come out cheaper than cable.

If you are inclined, you could also find anything you want to watch via BitTorrent.

If you like to watch sports though, this might not be the best route for you. Although, I like to watch the UFC PPVs - which I discovered is a lot more fun at the local pub anyhow You can get Baseball on the Roku player.

BTW my wife and I are both power users, we have three teenagers with all their iPods XBoxes, PS3 etc. I'm on a 22/5 internet tier and use 180-200GB data a month.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:37
reply to sapo

said by sapo:

Yep
quote:
Who wouldn't like a free month of movies? Forward this email to your friends & family, and they'll get 1 FREE month of Netflix. They can watch instantly right on their TV via Wii™, PS3™, Xbox 360 or any device that streams from Netflix, or online on their PC or Mac.

This special offer for your friends & family expires 06/15/2010 so forward this email today
PM me if you want to try it. It's good for one out at a time usage, but streaming doesn't count toward that.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

Insder
There never was a second I in my name
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Salem, MA

said by tim_k:

said by sapo:

Yep
quote:
Who wouldn't like a free month of movies? Forward this email to your friends & family, and they'll get 1 FREE month of Netflix. They can watch instantly right on their TV via Wii™, PS3™, Xbox 360 or any device that streams from Netflix, or online on their PC or Mac.

This special offer for your friends & family expires 06/15/2010 so forward this email today
PM me if you want to try it. It's good for one out at a time usage, but streaming doesn't count toward that.
I find that I don't even use my Netflix subscription for the physical DVDs anymore. I had the 3 at a time plan, but downgraded to the 1 at a time with unlimited instant streaming and never looked back. I've actually had the same DVD sitting on my desk to return to Netflix (Fool's Gold, the worst movie ever) and my rental date for that was 12/30/2009. I use the instant streaming on my XBox360, and also on another family member's 360 and Wii, and it's quite a good system. Some shows are available in HD also, which looks great coming from my HDMI-hooked up 360, despite killing my bandwidth (3mbps down, so what can I expect).

Although I will say I find it weird that Netflix charges me tax (8.99 * 6.25% sales tax is 9.55 a month), since I don't believe they are headquartered in Massachusetts, but oh well.
--
The one, the only, the Insder. :: Fighting phishing for life.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Snakeoil

It used to be it depended what plan you had. If you had the 1 out at a time, you were allowed 1 device for streaming, 2 out at a time, 2 streaming devices, and on upwards from there. Sounds like that could be different now?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit
reply to gregz

And you got this info where? Wow. I guess I'd better tell the husband to stop watching the instant queue stuff on his computer, the Wii and the laptop hoooked up to the tv downstairs. Shame on us for trying to use more than one device.

The husband and I were talking about this the other night. We've been really taking advantage of our subscription, especially with the British shows. We just finished watching The Sarah Jane Adventures and have a few of the Classic Who stories on instant queue. I figured that for the cost of the dvds we've been renting, we'd have probably spent well over $100 if we went to Blockbuser or Hollywood Video. For the monthly subscription, it's not bad. We've also been using Netflix to pick up the slack with Rent Anime. For whatever reason Rent Anime doesn't have the first box set of Honey and Clover, but they have two and three.

BTW, streaming on the Wii rocks!

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Cutting Edge Com..
reply to Insder

Although I will say I find it weird that Netflix charges me tax (8.99 * 6.25% sales tax is 9.55 a month), since I don't believe they are headquartered in Massachusetts, but oh well.
Pretty sure they have a warehouse in every state by now I can't imagine they don't have one in Boston at least.... any physical facility counts not just headquarters.

Just getting around to checking out the instant movies myself now that i finally dumped the old 640k DSL Not as much selection as i was hoping for with all their hype tho

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to gregz

quote:
As for how many machines, only one per account,
Maybe it is just your account but we stream different shows on separate computers from one Netflix account simultaneously without any problem.

btB

@pacbell.net
reply to Snakeoil

I forgot to mention that for the Disney shows that are on Netflix and are still being produced, the newest episodes are actually available via streaming.

gregz

reply to Grail Knight

said by Grail Knight:

quote:
As for how many machines, only one per account,
Maybe it is just your account but we stream different shows on separate computers from one Netflix account simultaneously without any problem.
I got rid of my account, because Netflix offers nothing, and I can get the same stuff if I want to watch something on Hulu, and OnDemand. Why waste money on extras.

gregz

reply to mareastrum

You take into account what is being done on the connection (browsing, downloading, watching video streams, online gaming on xbox and PS3, and you can watch your speeds drop to the point that it is not worth eating up all of that bandwidth.

I personally find watching movies online on a computer a waste of time.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY
reply to gregz

Netflix streaming offered me one thing NO other source on the internet had.

Ballykissangel.

That in and of itself was worth it.
--
Sriram Satish
NYU Stern School of Business
Faculty of Arts and Science CIT

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to gregz

Be that as it may one account can be used to stream to various media players at the same time which was I believe the crux of the matter.

As for wasting money that depends on the customer. Personally I have a little extra to waste.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Snakeoil

There policy seems to have changed I guess from when I last read it in there help section. Fromt he Streaming device page:

"You may watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices:
Including personal computers and Netflix ready devices. You may also use this page to manually de-register devices you no longer wish to use for watching instantly. A deactivated device can be reactivated later if you wish to resume using it. "
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Insder
There never was a second I in my name
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Salem, MA
reply to hurfy

said by hurfy:

Pretty sure they have a warehouse in every state by now I can't imagine they don't have one in Boston at least.... any physical facility counts not just headquarters.

Just getting around to checking out the instant movies myself now that i finally dumped the old 640k DSL Not as much selection as i was hoping for with all their hype tho
Valid point, I think they have a warehouse down in Worcester so yes, physical presence. Damn taxes! As for the instant view movies..the Starz partnership that Netflix has means they get a decent amount of movies about 3-6 months after DVD release..I find it handy for when I'm around and nothing is on TV. I primarily use it for TV shows though, I have found a TON of new shows that I love through Netflix.

As for Netflix not being worth it due to Hulu and OnDemand..I can hook up a Netflix player for multiple people and let them watch it by simply adding things to my queue and away they go. My parents use a Roku that I got them for X-Mas (80 bucks), my girlfriend uses her Wii with the disc, my brother uses his laptop, and I use my XBox 360 and laptop as well. Not all in the same house, obviously, but the fact that I can share my 10 dollar account between that many people so we have something to watch is priceless.
--
The one, the only, the Insder. :: Fighting phishing for life.

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to gregz

There has been no noticeable drop in speeds for us. I can stream a tv show on the Wii while the husband does his dailies on WoW and there isn't any problem. Or I can stream a show from the Wii while surfing from my laptop; again, no noticeable drop in speed.