Premium Member
join:2008-12-15
Friday Harbor, WA

rockisland to aroberti

Premium Member

to aroberti

Re: Verizon pushing crapware to Blackberry

FWIW - I've complained to Verizon.

In a series of emails, they first told me how to uninstall of the additions (which, of course, CAN'T be done).

Then they apologized and said that these applications were to "improve and enhance [my] Blackberry experience" and that I could "hide" the icons.

So I replied that perhaps they should let the OWNER of the phone choose what would "enhance" their experience and that having to hide UNWANTED stuff was ridiculous.

Finally said they would send the feedback on up the corporate foodchain. I said "thank you" - my contract is up in less than 6 months and that I'd be interested in how Verizon chooses to proceed in the future.

**sigh** I suppose enough people use this crap so Verizon gets sufficient revenue from this sort of behavior that they will continue to choose for their customers what goes on their phones.

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium Member
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY

tmaertin

Premium Member

A couple of things I have discovered:

1) these "enhancements" can actually be removed by deleting them from Options/Advanced Options/Service Book. however, every once in a while they will get reinstalled and you need to removed them again.

2) i question whether Verizon Wireless can actually push down these "enhancements" legally. i read the EULA from Verizon Wireless (»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ment.jsp) and am concerned particularly with this section:

"My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. You don't own the software in any SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card that you may use with your Service. The SIM card software is licensed to you for use with the Service only, and we may change it remotely and without notice. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, it can be used for Prepaid Service only during the first six months after activation and cannot be reprogrammed for use with any other carrier's wireless service even if it's no longer used to receive our Service."

Myself and a co worker (who has an HTC incredible with the same issues) read this as Verizon controls the SIM card and all software associated to it but not the device. My issue is the Blackberry Curve 8330 I own does not have a SIM card. I own the device and should have full control of all software associated. Verizon is violating their own contractual terms by doing this.

I do understand the point of view that Verizon should control what software has access to their network - and if they don't want to grant network access to something I install that is their call. But do not push down extra software on me, especially on a device that has only 96 mb of storage memory.

I just wanted to get other people's take on this - I will update how my pursuit of this with Verizon Wireless goes. i plan to be an annoyance