spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wingman99
join:2003-12-18
Opelika, AL

wingman99

AT&T Dsl can you use your own modem

Just wondering for the 19.95 a month do you have to pay for equipment monthly? What DSL modem do you receive and can you use your own DSL modem? Do you have to load there software on your pc or can you manually setup the DSL modem.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

You can use your own modem, and it can be manually set up.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to wingman99

Premium Member

to wingman99
said by wingman99:

Just wondering for the 19.95 a month do you have to pay for equipment monthly? What DSL modem do you receive and can you use your own DSL modem? Do you have to load there software on your pc or can you manually setup the DSL modem.
AT&T does not lease modems to residential customers. You will have to purchase your own modem, either directly from AT&T, or from your favorite reseller.

AT&T periodically offers a rebate to new customers to reimburse the cost of the initial modem purchase from them, but I don't know if such a rebate is currently being offered. The main caveats for the "free" modem, are that it is usually only for traditional line-share customers, with DSL Direct customers being ignored, and it is usually a mail-in rebate which is often not honored unless you complain loudly that you did not receive the rebate (as is the case with most mail-in rebate offers from almost any company).

Unless the default AT&T supplied modem has very recently changed, it is the Motorola 2210. You will find some posters here who will tell you it is a piece of crap, but I have two of them (both well past the warranty date) that work with no problems for me. If you opt for the home networking package, you will get a 2wire 2701HG-B which is a wireless router with a built-in 4 port switch.

You can use any other ADSL(2) compatible modem you wish, but don't expect AT&T to support it (and you can be sure that your non-supported modem will always be blamed for any problems you have when you contact support).

No software is required to activate or use AT&T DSL service. Follow the instructions here: »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Register new account and select a username/password without using install CD. to initially setup your account.
wingman99
Opelika, AL

2 edits

wingman99

Thanks, if i use my own modem what do i need to set the pppoa or pppoe and vpi vci

Does it have to be a Motorola 2210 from AT&T for them to give support.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

and it is usually a mail-in rebate which is often not honored unless you complain loudly that you did not receive the rebate (as is the case with most mail-in rebate offers from almost any company).
Not 98% or better of the companies I have every dealt with. Guess you just enjoy dealing with scum bags.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:
said by NetFixer:

and it is usually a mail-in rebate which is often not honored unless you complain loudly that you did not receive the rebate (as is the case with most mail-in rebate offers from almost any company).
Not 98% or better of the companies I have every dealt with. Guess you just enjoy dealing with scum bags.
Well, this is an AT&T forum isn't it?
NetFixer

NetFixer to wingman99

Premium Member

to wingman99
said by wingman99:

Thanks, if i use my own modem what do i need to set the pppoa or pppoe and vpi vci
PPPoE is the official method. You may be able to use PPPoA if the modem/router combo you select supports it, but again, don't expect AT&T to support it if you have problems since PPPoE is the official method.
said by wingman99:

kiDoes it have to be a Motorola 2210 from AT&T for them to give support.
No, it can be any of the modems that AT&T/BellSouth has used in the past, but you may need to try calling in multiple times to get a CSR that will provide telephone support for anything except the Motorola 2210, 2241, or 334x, the Westell 6100 or 327W, or the 2wire 2701HG-B. You actually may be able to find a CSR that will work with you for any modem you happen to use, but you would definitely need to shop around for a friendly/knowledgeable CSR. Typically, if you aren't using one of the currently shipping modems, the first thing that you will be told by a tier 1 CSR is that you have a problem with the modem, and you must replace it.

The answers to many of your questions can be found here: »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ
wingman99
Opelika, AL

wingman99

Thanks for your help

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

1 edit

wizkid6 to wingman99

to wingman99
said by wingman99:

you pay either in installments or the full price up front on your phone bill

and, yes, hello from a fellow Opelikan!!!
wingman99
Opelika, AL

wingman99

If I purchase 2210 on ebay do you still have to purchase one from AT&T

Hi there fellow Opelika

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

No. After resetting from factory defaults, you just configure it as usual.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:
said by Hayward0:
said by NetFixer:

Well, this is an AT&T forum isn't it?
Well if you meant the ATT modem rebate specifically yes got mine filed on time and doc's as required.

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673

ATT want to bill me $100 until the modem is paid off. Then I offer to cancel and they sent me a free modem.

Just get one off fleabay. They are cheap.

Got to the FAQ here and find the modem. For me, I would just get the Motorola 2210 and use my own favorite router with 3rd party software cause good is good.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel to wingman99

Premium Member

to wingman99
Word of caution on the 2210's, they have had a recall on all units that has a S/N starting with the number 4. Ran into issues with that particular modem saying it couldn't register an ATM connection. Got it replaced by an AT&T tech with an 2210 that S/N started with a 1 and have had no issues since.

I haven't experienced this problem but have seen a few threads about the 2210's as a whole are really prone to overheating. Found the link »Motorola 2210-02-1002 / 2210-02-1006 modem is junk!

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Motorola 2210-02 modems with serial numbers from 33820052 to 40108032 were defective.

Motorola has corrected the problems with the 2210-02 modem and the newer ones are just fine.

If it has an 8 digit serial number above 40108032 it is not from the defective batch.

If it has an 12 digit serial number it is not from the defective batch.
wingman99
Opelika, AL

wingman99

Thanks for the extra information.

GlennH
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Golden, CO

GlennH to wingman99

Premium Member

to wingman99
Any specific recommendations on a modem to buy? Would this work?

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25112005

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to chong673

Premium Member

to chong673
said by chong673:

ATT want to bill me $100 until the modem is paid off. Then I offer to cancel and they sent me a free modem.

Just get one off fleabay. They are cheap.

Got to the FAQ here and find the modem. For me, I would just get the Motorola 2210 and use my own favorite router with 3rd party software cause good is good.
I said something this reply has anything to do with?

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel to GlennH

Premium Member

to GlennH
As far as recommendations go, anything that works really. The one you have linked there should work.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to GlennH

Premium Member

to GlennH
said by GlennH:

Any specific recommendations on a modem to buy? Would this work?

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25112005
Anything listed as ADSL2+ is ideal. If it only lists ADSL (G.DMT) then it will still work but honestly it is very old and not recommended.