All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

adisor19
join:2004-10-11

adisor19

That's it ?!

WoW that really blows in terms of speed.

Bell and Tellus's HSPA+ network currently does sustained 10Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up and Verizon with LTE only manages that ?!

Adi
glinc
join:2009-04-07
New York, NY

glinc

Of course, no one in canada uses broadband.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to adisor19

to adisor19
Should be no surprise. Current gen WiMAX also gets that range as they are essentially the same technology.

»/archi ··· -wmx.net

The challenge for all 4G carriers will be providing enough backhaul to sustain 5Mbps+ with many users sharing.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to adisor19

to adisor19
TMO and ATT are pushing similar out with HSPA+. TMO after all has the fastest 3G in the USA regardless of what the ATT ads say.
DarnellP
join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

DarnellP to xenophon

to xenophon
said by xenophon:

Should be no surprise. Current gen WiMAX also gets that range as they are essentially the same technology.

The difference, of course, is that VZW got that speed on a network with likely no other users on it while some Clear users are getting those speeds and more on a commercially deployed network.
xenophon

xenophon

True, when Sprint first demo'd WiMAX in Chicago, they showed up to 11Mbps.

BTW, many of the current WiMAX devices are capable of over 25Mbps but you need the backhaul and MIMO antennas to achieve it outside of a lab. Nextgen WiMAX also claims much much higher performance but it will mean nothing w/out massive backhaul and MIMO. At least Clear has the spectrum, 4X more than ATT/Verizon.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

TMO and ATT are pushing similar out with HSPA+. TMO after all has the fastest 3G in the USA regardless of what the ATT ads say.
Correct. Since Feb-March I get well over 10Mb/s on TMO.

elias
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

elias to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

Are you sure? PCWorld did a test a few months ago and found AT&T to be faster than T-Mobile.

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· est.html

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to kamm

Premium Member

to kamm
said by kamm:

said by hottboiinnc4:

The robust T-Mobile nationwide 3G network, hard at work!
xenophon

xenophon to kamm

to kamm
said by kamm:

Care to post results? I haven't seen any results over 3Mbps...

»/archi ··· ?cid=305

kamm
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to elias

to elias
said by elias:
said by hottboiinnc4:

Are you sure? PCWorld did a test a few months ago and found AT&T to be faster than T-Mobile.

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· est.html
t's because A) they are clueless and/or B) TMO started "flipping the switch" in February.
kamm

kamm to Gbcue

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:
said by kamm:
said by hottboiinnc4:

The robust T-Mobile nationwide 3G network, hard at work!
Exactly. Why?
kamm

kamm to xenophon

to xenophon
Check my older posts like this: »[T-Mobile] Impressive 3G results

I'll post a capture later here.
xenophon

xenophon

Impressive if they can sustain that with many users sharing. In the end though, 3.5G and current rev of 4G would probably be about the same if you supply the same backhaul and have same number of users sharing.

kamm
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

said by xenophon:

Impressive if they can sustain that with many users sharing. In the end though, 3.5G and current rev of 4G would probably be about the same if you supply the same backhaul and have same number of users sharing.
I agree. TMO is doing a very smart move: maxing out HSPA+ gives them option to go over 20Mb/s if they want, something LTE won't match for a long time.
xenophon

xenophon

Yeah, while LTE/WiMAX are 4G technologies they are not fully implemented as 4G yet. IMO, it will take MIMO antennas to fully execute 4G. 3.5G has some life in it until 4G is fully implemented.

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

WiMAX devices are already equiped with MIMO...
xenophon

1 edit

xenophon

said by w0g:

WiMAX devices are already equiped with MIMO...
At the site, user device or both? I don't think any commercial user devices have MIMO yet, even fixed home base stations. I could be wrong.

Edit: Not to put you on the spot but I just searched around and didn't find any consumer devices that have MIMO antennas. Which ones have it?