uniqs
Turbo Mach 5
join:2008-05-29
San Augustine, TX
ARRIS SB6183
TP-Link Deco

Turbo Mach 5

Decisions decisions on dsl modems

Hello! Been a bit since I posted here! Anyway I've looked through the forums trying to see what would be honestly the best modem to replace my SpeedStream 5100. I've had this modem probably for 5+ years and it seems it's starting to die. Used to disconnect frequently. They've taken the half-ringer out of my box, did some work on the line on the street (heck even put in a new one). That has greatly improved my connection but as I said, I believe this modem is starting to show its age as I will still randomly drop connection (not as frequent but still annoying). I replaced it once with a Netgear Wireless-N DSL Router BUT that failed (the router died in the end in less than a year. Don't get me started on their service). Anyway my question is:

Besides honestly replacing the 5100 with another one from eBay, I was looking at the modems on Newegg from Zoom and was wondering if those would work just fine. If my message seems...random...well I guess I'm not the best at saying what I need to say or explaining.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

My suggestion is the Netopia/Motorola 3347-02-1022 business-grade modem. This has wireless built-in, but, if you don't need that (your SpeedStream 5100 is wired-only), the wireless can be turned off. A very solid, reliable unit, and it is supported by AT&T (the Netgear and Zoom are not).