spc
Search similar:

uniqs
msimonds8
join:2008-06-17

msimonds8

Repeater that works with FIOS actiontec router

Was wondering if anyone can help

I have fios actiontec router, which is on the corner office of my house. I want to purchase a repeater or access point so I can extend my wireless better throughout my house.

Has anyone been able to do this and if so, can someone give me a compatible device to purchase?

I am new to this and i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong forums, but this is the best place that I found to post this question.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

~Mike

JoeIac
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
MA

1 edit

JoeIac

Premium Member

Hi,
my suggestion would be to not use a repeater, but if your house is wired with coax, to take advantage of MoCA and put another actiontec (usually ~$25 on ebay) in another room that has coax.

This FAQ details how to get an actiontec into another room, »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax? and also points out how to keep the wireless on, so that it functions as a wireless access point.

I have been extremely successful in doing this at both my home, and at a family vacation home, where the router is in the basement, and an actiontec connected via coax has been deployed upstairs.

And as a plus, if the SSID's and WEP / WPA / WPA2 keys are identical, then the computer will seamlessly roam between access points.

Now, if you are looking for a regular repeater, i have not heard of any reported incompatibilities with the actiontec, but due to the simplicity, and the better performance of the solution i just outlined, it seems to be the one people generally stick to. If you want suggestions for a pure-repeater, I'm sure others will be by soon to offer them, but i figured that this would be a good start.

- Joeiac

Edit:
sounds like repeaters will NOT work with the actiontec or westell

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to msimonds8

Premium Member

to msimonds8
A repeater will take the wireless signal and broadcast it again like an acceess point. An access point will be better since it will have a wired connection to the router. I use dlink DAP1522 boxes. They can be set as Access Points or wireless Bridges. I currently have three set up as access points and and four set up as wireless bridges. I'll probably add a fourth access point and another wireless bridge. By having several Access points I can make sure I always get 100mbs+ speeds from my wireless connections anywhere in my condo.
msimonds8
join:2008-06-17

msimonds8

I purchased a Buffalo air navigator router & access point for this, but I cannot figure out how to configure it as an access point.

Are you using your access points with Fios?

If so, how did you get it to repeat the signal or bridge the connection

I would appreciate any help or guidance

~Mike
msimonds8

msimonds8

Let me also add that I the fios router is in the corner of my house, in an office.

I need to use something that will allow me to make my wireless stronger... that is why I want to use a repeater, but this Buffalo will not bridge wirelessly. If I have to connect it to my router then it will sit in the same room as my router and give out a signal, which is as weak as the fios router.

This does not help my issue at all

fiosuserny
@verizon.net

fiosuserny to msimonds8

Anon

to msimonds8
I never had any luck running any wifi hardware in repeater mode. What I've done instead is to use a pair of powerline adapaters:

»www.netgear.com/Products ··· ers.aspx

One adapter is connected through a short Cat 5 cable to my Actiontec router. The other adapter is plugged in to an outlet in the other end of our house. Then any generic WAP (I'm using and old DLink WAP) is connected to the remote end and presto....strong wifi signal in the other end of the house.

It works here...FWIW.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to msimonds8

MVM

to msimonds8
Repeaters do not work with the Actiontec or Westell routers supplied by FiOS.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to msimonds8

MVM

to msimonds8
As birdfeedr See Profile said, the Actiontec does not support wireless repeaters, so you are going to need a WAP in another part of the house and some way to connect it to the Actiontec.

Options are:
•Run cat5 between the Actiontec and the WAP
•Use a MOCA bridge. You can find used Actiontecs on ebay for less than $20 that will function as both a MOCA bridge and a WAP. Definitely the cheapest solution.
•Powerline networking, as previously suggested.
•Get a pair of routers that support wireless bridging. Connect one to the Actiontec, use the other as your WAP.
Keep in mind that wireless bridges cut your wireless throughput in half.
•Another option is to replace the Actiontec antenna with a high-gain antenna. May be sufficient if the current signal is marginal.
jammmin
join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

jammmin to msimonds8

to msimonds8
Get the Trendnet WAP. It works great and it is highly recommended. Very simple to install. Great coverage throughout my entire house.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33156232

bobd1950
Homer
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Pine Brook, NJ

bobd1950 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I put an aftermarket 15 dollar ant. from RadioShack.. And it works like it should. No drops ever.Even in 100+ ft, back yard thru multiple walls /2nd floor.
bobd1950

bobd1950 to jammmin

Premium Member

to jammmin
»www.amazon.com/dp/B00134 ··· -2865-20
List Price: $63.99
Price: $36.99