spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

justme2010

@charter.com

Is Direct TV with charter internet the best route to go?

Who out there has direct TV and charter internet? I would just like some opinions on this. We're considering a switch to them for our TV and to just keep charter for internet. I have calculated that after the choice ultimate package goes COMPLETELY out of promotion in 2 years time and combined with the 79.99 non-promotional price for charter 25meg we would still be paying less than what our charter bundle is now. Our charter bundle is 180 and includes basically every single channel including the movie channels and of course the 25meg internet. Once you add on our extra receivers and taxes it will easily come to 230. I really don't care about having the movie channels at all, but I DO care about HD and direct TV beats charter in that department hands down. I have friends and family with Direct TV and their HD channels look great and not to mention their receivers are up to date and look like something you'd have in the year 2010. The scientific atlantic boxes feel like relics from ten years ago.

Just want to know if anyone who has done this and regrets it, but it just seems like the best route to go. Our last satellite experience was with Dish Network, but that's been a long time ago and long before hdtv.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
I have DirecTV and love it... I have 4 HD DVR's networked and can stream my shows through any receiver.

I don't regret the decision at all (I previously had Charter TV and hated it and the crappy boxes)

DirecTV DVR's have at least a 320GB hard drive in them (most have 500GB hard drives) and the picture quality is very good.

If you're interested there are plenty of promotions going on ($100 referred credit and whatnot) just send me an email (paulson @ ifixipodsfast.com)

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to justme2010
I have Dish Network with Charter Internet, I have 4 HD DVR's (1 is the new 922) with all channels 155 HD channels for 130.00 a month. If you care about HD and subscribe to premium channels (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc) you want Dish Network. If your into sports like NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc go with Directv. Also Dish has more national HD channels.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to justme2010
If you can afford it, satellite is superior to cable.
I like (for now) that I do not have to have a box on each TV with cable. 8 converters would be spendy. That will soon change with SDV.

I do have to say that Charter has gotten better. I left dish strictly for cost reasons. With the bundle packages available, it really didn't make any sense to keep dish too. If I was loaded with dough, I'd still have dish.

I commonly see customers with Charter phone / internet and satellite TV.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

andunn

join:2001-09-06
Linn Creek, MO
I also have Directv and Charter internet. I will never have cable through Charter. The picture quality is SO much better, has more HD offerings than Charter, has the most Sports packages, and will be launching a few 3D channels in a couple of months.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by andunn:

I also have Directv and Charter internet. I will never have cable through Charter. The picture quality is SO much better, has more HD offerings than Charter, has the most Sports packages, and will be launching a few 3D channels in a couple of months.
3-D is overrated and will require a 3-D TV.

Xelloss

join:2007-03-02
Paso Robles, CA
reply to justme2010
Yes it is, we are sitting here with 6 boxes, 4 DVRs and 2 standard receivers, also sporting 2 dishes cause the way you need DVRs, one dish can have 8 boxes, and a DVR counts as 2 and it was just easier to do 2 dishes because of how our house was prewired.

These boxes are the best that I have uses, I hate moxi and I hate scientific Atlantic. All those Boxes run 25 bucks a month vs 1 DVR with Charter for 20 bucks a month, we have the HD package, we pay under 90 a month for all that. +50 for Charter 25mbps so $140 total. The boxes came out to 400 bucks total.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to justme2010
Directv is above and beyond Charter in every way for tv services. We have Directv for tv. Charter for phone and internet. Directv tv has better customer service, better boxes and more HD offerings. We had Charter with all the trimmings including all HD channels. Had it for about 2 years. The pricing got way out of control and Directv seemed to offer a lot more for less money. We made the switch and have been happy since. Will never go back to cable again. We also have all the trimmings with Directv including all HD channels. With the exception of movie channels. We order ppv's instead. Trust me. You will be pleased going with Directv if you decide.

andunn

Linn Creek, MO

1 edit
reply to justme2010
3-D is probably just a fad, but I'm still going to enjoy seeing how they do movies and sporting events using this technology

tacoma
Bleeding Dodger Blue
Premium
join:2001-05-18
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to justme2010
add me to the directv/charter club

justme2010

@charter.com
reply to justme2010
Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty sure Direct TV is the route we're going to go. Now to just contact charter and tell them we're canceling everything except for internet, that should be fun.

Xellous, I'm curious, how much are you paying for 25meg exactly? Charter told me out of contract price for 25meg was 79.99. And I seriously doubt they'll give us a discount on internet without bundling with their wonderful TV service. On the website they offer 54.99 for 6 months on 25meg by itself but we're not new customers.

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
With a two year contract it would be like...$54.99 or so.

That's what I would recommend doing.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
reply to justme2010
said by justme2010 :

Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty sure Direct TV is the route we're going to go. Now to just contact charter and tell them we're canceling everything except for internet, that should be fun.

Xellous, I'm curious, how much are you paying for 25meg exactly? Charter told me out of contract price for 25meg was 79.99. And I seriously doubt they'll give us a discount on internet without bundling with their wonderful TV service. On the website they offer 54.99 for 6 months on 25meg by itself but we're not new customers.
there offer 24 meg for 54.99 if you sign contract for 2 years

justme2010

@charter.com
Wow, thanks for telling me that. The website says its only for 6 months. I guess we need to get on the phone with them monday. I figured we wouldn't be offered special promotions without bundling with telephone or TV.

chblock

join:2001-01-27
Reno, NV

3 edits
Interesting, I had the opposite experience with DirecTV and am much happier with cable.

When I first contracted with DTV, the rates were better and the channel line-up was bigger. After Murdoch took ownership circa 2005, it all went to hell. They raised my rates quite a bit and channel packages got more expensive.

Another disadvantage I experienced with DirecTV is that I found they use more MPEG compression than cable so I would see more visual artifacts in the picture. Although, I think that's been resolved since I was with them.

I got too many outages from storm cloud cover and snow on the dish. There was nothing more annoying than going out in the middle of a storm to clear the dish. You can use a dish heater to avoid that, but it's just another equipment hassle and you can still get weather outages form heavy cloud cover.

Another issue is dish placement, you have to have a clear view of the Southern sky. A neighbor's tree or structure can cause an unreconcilable problem. If you live in a building that does not permit wall or roof mounting, you're out of luck if you don't have a South facing patio. I had to use a fairly high mounting point on the chimney because of a neighbor's tree in my last place.

For me, I wouldn't go with a dish over cable without a real compelling reason. Maybe for sports programming or if you don't have cable access. The reliability isn't there and installations can be a problem. The rates aren't really that much cheaper, at least for DTV in my area. I don't know about Dish network. I hear they have better rates than DirecTV, but I haven't checked myself.

My rates are pretty awesome with my current package and Charter has already renewed my promotional rates for me twice. I just call them up when my promotional discount runs out and ask for a new one. They give it to me. I have the full bundle and my 20/2 Mb internet is $30 a month. It's even better than 20/2. It regularly registers 30/2 when I speed test it. Compared to when I had DSL, AT&T plain ol' telephone service, and DirecTV, I'm still saving almost $100 a month three years later. And, my internet connection is over 4 times faster to boot.

I recently replaced my HD box in the Master bedroom and they gave me a brand new Motorola unit, really state of the art looking little thing. In my case, I would have to disagree about them using crappy outdated equipment.

I'm pretty happy with Charter in almost every regard.

MoneyMay

@charter.com
I thought it was just me who saw Charter's TV service as crap. I used to have FiOS, but recently had to move long-distance to where Charter and Satellite are my only options. FiOS craps on Charter in picture quality and HD channel selection. I have no issue with Charter internet though.

chblock

Reno, NV
Well, yea, FIOS is optical, much higher bandwidth. Charter still uses a lot of MPEG compression to broadband all those channels, but less than satellite was using when I had a dish.

I imagine FIOS probably rules in picture quality and performance. Stands to reason with the much higher bandwidth. Unfortunately, it has pretty limited availability. If I had it in my area it would likely be my first choice, even if it wasn't the cheapest game in town.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by chblock:

Well, yea, FIOS is optical, much higher bandwidth. Charter still uses a lot of MPEG compression to broadband all those channels, but less than satellite was using when I had a dish.
Satellite now uses mpeg-4 compression. Cable still uses mpeg-2. The problem with Charter and most cable companies is the high amount of analog channels they still provide. Comcast is the only cable company making an effort to get rid of most of it's analog channels.

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN
reply to chblock
I am not with you on that. My Directv is far above Charter. Picture quality is much better given MPEG2 VS MPEG4.

I have had 2-15 Outages in nearly two years. I am sure here in Minnesota I receive far more snow than Reno. I have had down pours with no loss of signal while my Charter Cable did drop.

Equipment is far better on Directv and the easy of hooking a External hardrive via SATA and not USB like Moxi. You were lucky to get a new box.

All DVR's with Directv have remote scheduling which is limited with Charter.

Not sure how you got 20/2 for $30 as they are charging me $39.99 for 24 Mo's with Triple Play. My bill between Charter and Directv dropped when I went to Triple Play.

Charters digital basic is more than Directv Choice Ultimate. Choice ultimate comes with move channels.

If you use HD there definitely is no comparison. I am fortunate to have many HD channels with Charter but its nothing compared to Directv.

BF69 is correct in that Charter needs to dump its Analog channels. My in-laws have Comcast and not not getting any additional charges for there 3 tv's that needed boxes. Heck Comcast is making out because now they want Digital boxes on all TV's to utilize OnDemand and the two new flat screens they just bought.

chblock

Reno, NV

4 edits
I am not with you on that. My Directv is far above Charter. Picture quality is much better given MPEG2 VS MPEG4.
Yea, that is the one thing about my cable connection, I do feel there could be a little less compression. DTV must have made great strides with MPEG4. It wasn't very good before that. I have a TiVo and it does OTA and which provides the best picture quality other than Blu-Ray or downloaded 1080p content, zero compression, but yea, I would like to see less of it over the cable.
I have had 2-15 Outages in nearly two years. I am sure here in Minnesota I receive far more snow than Reno. I have had down pours with no loss of signal while my Charter Cable did drop.
I can't give exact numbers, but I definitely feel cable is more reliable. In the last 3 years, I've not had any outages occur when I was actually trying to watch a show. Used to happen too often with the dish. Maybe there was a problem with my dish installation, I don't know, but it was a drag.
Equipment is far better on Directv and the easy of hooking a External hardrive via SATA and not USB like Moxi. You were lucky to get a new box.
Well, my TiVo blows doors on the Moxi and any offering from the satellite companies. The only downside is I don't get VoD, but the TiVo does Netflix, Blockbuster, and a bunch of other online content providers. Plus, I own my TiVo so there's no box rental. I do have to pay Charter a small rental fee on the cablecard though. With satellite there's no option, if you want to use a DVR, you have to use *their* DVR.
All DVR's with Directv have remote scheduling which is limited with Charter.
So does TiVo.
Not sure how you got 20/2 for $30 as they are charging me $39.99 for 24 Mo's with Triple Play. My bill between Charter and Directv dropped when I went to Triple Play.
Yes, it is $39.99 for the 24 month promotional rate. I'm on the 12 month full bundle promotional rate which has deeper discounts. And, I've been able to renew it twice already.
Charters digital basic is more than Directv Choice Ultimate. Choice ultimate comes with move channels.
Yea, it is, but Charter has expanded the line-up a bit. DTV probably does have better packages right now.
If you use HD there definitely is no comparison. I am fortunate to have many HD channels with Charter but its nothing compared to Directv.
The HD line-up does seem a bit sparse with Charter. However, I have access to online HD sources through the TiVo so that helps. I haven't compared the HD line-ups betwen the providers so DTV may very well be superior in that regard.
BF69 is correct in that Charter needs to dump its Analog channels.
+1

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Xelloss
said by Xelloss:

Yes it is, we are sitting here with 6 boxes, 4 DVRs and 2 standard receivers, also sporting 2 dishes cause the way you need DVRs, one dish can have 8 boxes, and a DVR counts as 2 and it was just easier to do 2 dishes because of how our house was prewired.

These boxes are the best that I have uses, I hate moxi and I hate scientific Atlantic. All those Boxes run 25 bucks a month vs 1 DVR with Charter for 20 bucks a month, we have the HD package, we pay under 90 a month for all that. +50 for Charter 25mbps so $140 total. The boxes came out to 400 bucks total.
Not sure why you have 2 dishes, have 6 hr2x DVR's on a single dish, have only seen a second dish added if one of the specialty foreign packages have been added or it is a Dish system and not a Directv

Use Charter for internet, Directv for HD, 6 HD DVR's cost is a lot less then what Charter would hit me for the same configuration, and now have MRV over DECA where I can watch a program recorded on any DVR on any set in the house. Add to the fact I can add a TB external Esata drive for no surcharge to the DVR's and it is perfect.

putty600

join:2001-11-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to justme2010
I'm a very happy DirecTV and Charter Internet customer. Both are rock solid and stable, and DirecTV is continuing to add HD channels. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with Charter cable with its analog channels and old Moxi's. Their Internet service has been totally bulletproof at my location. Only one outage in three years, and I work from home so we get a pretty high amount of online time each day.

andunn

Linn Creek, MO
said by putty600:

I'm a very happy DirecTV and Charter Internet customer. Both are rock solid and stable, and DirecTV is continuing to add HD channels. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with Charter cable with its analog channels and old Moxi's. Their Internet service has been totally bulletproof at my location. Only one outage in three years, and I work from home so we get a pretty high amount of online time each day.
I agree!

jilted6

join:2001-08-14
Ponchatoula, LA
reply to justme2010
I use a TiVoHD with my charter hdtv and the box is awesome. I put a 1tb drive in it and i can hold entire hd seasons for viewing later.

I had the entire season of 24 from last year on there until a month ago.

Xelloss

join:2007-03-02
Paso Robles, CA

1 edit
reply to wingrider01
said by wingrider01:

said by Xelloss:

Not sure why you have 2 dishes, have 6 hr2x DVR's on a single dish, have only seen a second dish added if one of the specialty foreign packages have been added or it is a Dish system and not a Directv

Use Charter for internet, Directv for HD, 6 HD DVR's cost is a lot less then what Charter would hit me for the same configuration, and now have MRV over DECA where I can watch a program recorded on any DVR on any set in the house. Add to the fact I can add a TB external Esata drive for no surcharge to the DVR's and it is perfect.
You are aloud 8 tuners per line, DVR counts as 2 tuners.

The way our house is wired we have 2 lines from the dish going to living room and splitting off to 3 rooms, and the other line goes to kitchen and bedroom, thus 2 Dishes was easier because we didn't have to change or add any wiring to the house.

Otherwise I think they would have to run more lines from Dish to sources or whatever, was pretty complicated. They could of changed something I heard they have a new splitter that supports 16 tuners per line, but I had my system installed a year ago.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
said by Xelloss:

said by wingrider01:

said by Xelloss:

You are aloud 8 tuners per line, DVR counts as 2 tuners.

The way our house is wired we have 2 lines from the dish going to living room and splitting off to 3 rooms, and the other line goes to kitchen and bedroom, thus 2 Dishes was easier because we didn't have to change or add any wiring to the house.

Otherwise I think they would have to run more lines from Dish to sources or whatever, was pretty complicated. They could of changed something I heard they have a new splitter that supports 16 tuners per line, but I had my system installed a year ago.
Using a two SWM16's each with two 8 way splitters for a total of 36 tuners to a single dish.

Diagram I used for the for the setup is here

»www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177308

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
reply to oneoone
said by oneoone:

I have Dish Network with Charter Internet, I have 4 HD DVR's (1 is the new 922) with all channels 155 HD channels for 130.00 a month.
Nice promotional pricing you have there.