spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jrsaysbiteme
join:2005-09-13
Fort Frances, ON

jrsaysbiteme

Shaw just released a modem/Wireless router AIO

Just noticed this on there site and thought id mention it.

»www.shaw.ca/en-ca/Produc ··· Gateway/

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by jrsaysbiteme:

Just noticed this on there site and thought id mention it.

»www.shaw.ca/en-ca/Produc ··· Gateway/
Interesting, very interesting. Have to see how good it really is. Looks like 4 ethernet wired connections on back, plus wireless. Might just work well.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

I'm not sure about this product, what control do I have over it, I'd probably right now prefer my trusty old Time Machine/Airport Extreme.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by pkarlos_76:

I'm not sure about this product, what control do I have over it, I'd probably right now prefer my trusty old Time Machine/Airport Extreme.
True. Knowing Shaw, they have their own firmware loaded that won't let you do anything. Be interesting to check it out though, just to see what it's really capable of. Is this a compatible with Docsis 3, or just 2. Just curious if this can be used with Nitro, or just High, X-treme and Warp tiers.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

said by rustydusty:

said by pkarlos_76:

True. Knowing Shaw, they have their own firmware loaded that won't let you do anything. Be interesting to check it out though, just to see what it's really capable of. Is this a compatible with Docsis 3, or just 2. Just curious if this can be used with Nitro, or just High, X-treme and Warp tiers.
Site notes don't specify whether is N or G Wireless either, or the model number so we can check motorola site for the technical specs of it.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by pkarlos_76:

said by rustydusty:

said by pkarlos_76:

Site notes don't specify whether is N or G Wireless either, or the model number so we can check motorola site for the technical specs of it.
Fantastic. Calling Shaw would be useless to. Their tech's never know about new equipment or services. Maybe in a year they will know about it.
AnonShawUser
join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

AnonShawUser to jrsaysbiteme

to jrsaysbiteme
Now, I'm very glad I don't work there. I don't have to worry about configuring everyone's home wireless with that thing. Too many different applications to use, in setting it up. x.x

ASDF999
@shawcable.net

ASDF999 to pkarlos_76

Anon

to pkarlos_76
It's not a motorola device. It's made by SMC.

It is N compatible, and there's also a DOCSIS 3 version.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by ASDF999 :

It's not a motorola device. It's made by SMC.

It is N compatible, and there's also a DOCSIS 3 version.
Perfect, thanks for the info!

anonshaw1
@shawcable.net

anonshaw1

Anon

The SMC Gateway supports B,G and N, but only broadcasts at the 2.4 gHz range, no dual-band broadcast. It does have options for QoS, Port Forwarding, DHCP settings, DMZ, UPnP and various other standards that are found in most modern routing devices. The firmware running on it is not Shaw's, it's the original SMC firmware.

I've been running one at home for a few weeks now, the DOCSIS 3.0 version, and so far I've had no complaints. No wireless drops that I've noticed, which my crappy old D-Link router was notorious for, and with power boost my download speeds have been hitting around 40 mbps down, up from 20 with my old router. I'm assuming this has something to do with running the 3.0 instead of the Motorola 2.0, as channel bonding may be active even though I'm on an Xtreme account. Either way, decent piece of equipment. It's not purchasable from Shaw yet, and there's a monthly rental price of $3.95, but Shaw will troubleshoot network issues if something goes wrong instead of sending you to the router manufacturer.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by anonshaw1 :

The SMC Gateway supports B,G and N, but only broadcasts at the 2.4 gHz range, no dual-band broadcast. It does have options for QoS, Port Forwarding, DHCP settings, DMZ, UPnP and various other standards that are found in most modern routing devices. The firmware running on it is not Shaw's, it's the original SMC firmware.

I've been running one at home for a few weeks now, the DOCSIS 3.0 version, and so far I've had no complaints. No wireless drops that I've noticed, which my crappy old D-Link router was notorious for, and with power boost my download speeds have been hitting around 40 mbps down, up from 20 with my old router. I'm assuming this has something to do with running the 3.0 instead of the Motorola 2.0, as channel bonding may be active even though I'm on an Xtreme account. Either way, decent piece of equipment. It's not purchasable from Shaw yet, and there's a monthly rental price of $3.95, but Shaw will troubleshoot network issues if something goes wrong instead of sending you to the router manufacturer.
When will it be purchasable? I'd definently like to try it out. What kind of upstream speeds are you seeing with it? Just wondering if you are seeing more than 1Mb upload with the 3.0 one.

anonshaw1
@shawcable.net

anonshaw1

Anon

RustDusty, there hasn't been any mention of when it'll be on sale, and with Shaw's movement towards renting modems instead of selling them, I don't know if it'll happen in the future.

I'm still seeing around 0.98 mbps from Speedtest.net on my upload speeds, but that makes sense due to the fact that the upstream signal doesn't utilize channel bonding, only the downstream.

So far I have no complaints with the device, and haven't seen any issues crop up on the wired or wireless side. Only real grievence I have was the fact that it took about 10-15 minutes to initially lock in before it was usable. Beyond that, it's a decent piece of hardware. Doesn't have the same features as a dual-band $150 D-Link or LinkSys device, but for what I need it for it performs well enough.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by anonshaw1 :

RustDusty, there hasn't been any mention of when it'll be on sale, and with Shaw's movement towards renting modems instead of selling them, I don't know if it'll happen in the future.

I'm still seeing around 0.98 mbps from Speedtest.net on my upload speeds, but that makes sense due to the fact that the upstream signal doesn't utilize channel bonding, only the downstream.

So far I have no complaints with the device, and haven't seen any issues crop up on the wired or wireless side. Only real grievence I have was the fact that it took about 10-15 minutes to initially lock in before it was usable. Beyond that, it's a decent piece of hardware. Doesn't have the same features as a dual-band $150 D-Link or LinkSys device, but for what I need it for it performs well enough.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for all the information. Wonder when Shaw will start doing upstream channel bonding. Figured they would try to roll out Docsis 3 a little more quickly, but apparently not. I'm overall happy with my Shaw services, just would love to get some more upload speed. I used the Warp for a while, but the price just isn't justified for 1 more Mb upload speed and a tad more data.

bobmr
@shawcable.net

bobmr to jrsaysbiteme

Anon

to jrsaysbiteme
Just got off the phone with Shaw, after 25 minutes on hold.
Friday May14 CSR advised they will not accept order until Monday may17th

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by bobmr :

Just got off the phone with Shaw, after 25 minutes on hold.
Friday May14 CSR advised they will not accept order until Monday may17th
Bummer! Hopefully some will post a review of the new hardware once they use it for a while. Like to know it's a good piece before I purchase.

bobmr
@shawcable.net

bobmr

Anon

Called Shaw and the CSR said the modem is
SMC8014WN-RES which is DOCSIS2.o

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by bobmr :

Called Shaw and the CSR said the modem is
SMC8014WN-RES which is DOCSIS2.o
I guess they have a Docsis 3 one as well. That might be just a rumor though.

bobmr
@shawcable.net

bobmr to jrsaysbiteme

Anon

to jrsaysbiteme
Any idea as to the delivery time from order placed to delivery?
Ordered Monday CSR said would be sent UPS. Now Friday

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by bobmr :

Any idea as to the delivery time from order placed to delivery?
Ordered Monday CSR said would be sent UPS. Now Friday
Should be there today or early next week you'd think. Usually doesn't take that long to ship small items with UPS.
Shawesome2
join:2010-05-13
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2 to rustydusty

to rustydusty
»smc-bb.com/product/SMCD3 ··· urce=258

This is a link to the SMC site/Docsis 3.0 Wireless N Gateway.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by Shawesome2:

»smc-bb.com/product/SMCD3 ··· urce=258

This is a link to the SMC site/Docsis 3.0 Wireless N Gateway.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks a lot!

Rivalman
Rival
join:2004-01-18

Rivalman to jrsaysbiteme

to jrsaysbiteme
I got one the other day actually. Works great! I've noticed a more consistent ping for sure. I got the docsis 3 version of it. Just went to the local Shaw retail store and picked it up, they don't have them for sale at this moment as someone else has already mentioned.You can only rent them right now, but I thought I'd try it out. So far so good!

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by Rivalman:

I got one the other day actually. Works great! I've noticed a more consistent ping for sure. I got the docsis 3 version of it. Just went to the local Shaw retail store and picked it up, they don't have them for sale at this moment as someone else has already mentioned.You can only rent them right now, but I thought I'd try it out. So far so good!
Might just have to do that! Too bad they couldn't offer Docsis 3 along with the modem/router . Looks like Comcast is 90% covered by Docsis 3, we're at maybe 10%.

bobmr
@shawcable.net

bobmr to jrsaysbiteme

Anon

to jrsaysbiteme
I wish I had gone to the store. Ordered May 17th today's the 26th and still waiting for delivery, must be coming via horseback

Rivalman
Rival

Rivalman

Ya, I actually decided to go pick one up when I saw your original post about how long you've been waiting. I'm only 10 mins away from one of their retail outlets so I figured it would be worth it.
Plus, they wanted to charge me $40 to have a tech come out and install it! No dice!
Besides, if you can't hook up a wireless router on your own then maybe having the option is good.

Just a word of experience though, don't be in too much of a hurry for it to pick up signal and get everything running the first time you power it on. It took a good 10ish minutes to configure itself on the first bootup. After that, if I unplug it now and plug it back in it only takes about 2 minutes.
Just saying don't call in right away and ask them what's up until you've given it a good 15 mins.
I'm on the extreme tier and the DL light goes blue to let me know that there may be some channel bonding going on, I think?

The one weird thing is, that there is no release and renew option on the i.p. portion within the router pages. No biggie really, but just odd.

bobmr
@shawcable.net

bobmr to jrsaysbiteme

Anon

to jrsaysbiteme
Still no modem, contacted Shaw again and finally got a tracking number, was shipped yesterday may be delivered Monday 31st.
Order placed 17th so either original order was lost or never happened,
The one and only retail store in Vancouver is way downtown and for a 69 year old or anyone else to get to not easy .
bobmr

bobmr

Anon

Finally arrived yesterday (may31) 2 weeks from original order seems to work fine iPhone even connects.
jrsaysbiteme
join:2005-09-13
Fort Frances, ON

jrsaysbiteme

Post some up close pictures please.
babybunnies
join:2010-01-17
Kelowna, BC

babybunnies to jrsaysbiteme

to jrsaysbiteme
Just picked one of these up today at Shaw Retail, and it plugged in easily, was easy to configure, and gives me faster speeds than my old modem - I'm getting about 850 kbps upload now, and download about the same as before at 22 mbps on extreme.

I have both a wired connection and my wireless turned on, and they both work great. Phone connected through right away, no problems after I selected the correct wireless connection.

The admin password is auto generated (and is a sticker on the device) so other folks in your neighborhood who know what the default password is on routers (routers such as linksys, dlink, and telus 2wire have default admin passwords) won't be able to access it - there are no default passwords.

The setup page looks quite extensive, with lots of support for different options, although I haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

My media player also hooked up right away, and seems to stream to my tv a little smoother than my old router, but that is to be expected with the N type router.

So far, both wired and wireless connections have been very stable.

Rivalman
Rival

Rivalman to jrsaysbiteme

to jrsaysbiteme
Here is a link to SMC's website showing the modem/router that Shaw is supplying. I think they are giving this one to anyone who is on the Extreme tier, not sure about people on regular high speed.

»www.smc.com/index.cfm?ev ··· pid=1680

So far, mine is working great. Although, I'm no longer on a 68.xxx.xxx.xxx ip, I'm now on a 174.xxx.xxx.xxx ip. Does that mean anything?