Search similar:

uniqs

xpkranger
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
Tucker, GA

xpkranger

Premium Member

Moving to Uverse from Comcast...any gotcha's?

After many years defending and lately tolerating Comcast we have finally decided to abandon Comcast in favor of Uverse. The internet service was fine from Comcast, but their customer service was abysmal and my wife finally refused to deal any further with Comcast. That and our bandwidth usage was creeping up on the 250 Gb mark due to Netflix, Hulu and other streaming after we killed the cable tv from Comcast. So, the install is this Friday. (A guy in an AT&T truck spent most of the afternoon on a pole outside my house yesterday.) Can anyone point out any particular things we should be on the look out for during or after the installation? Looking forward to good things, hope it lives up to the hype.
KookyMan
join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI

KookyMan

I just was approached today by a ATT Contractor to 'sell' me on ATT UVerse as they just lit the fiber on my road.

I second the request for "Gotcha's" and must add something that concerns me which is the UVerse AUP/TOS. While I sometimes grumble(to myself) about Comcast's AUP/TOS, I have to admit I have heard some nasty things about ATTs. Specifically its against the AUP to talk off topic on a forum.

How strictly does AT&T actually enforce every letter of the aup, or is it simply there 'in case' and its the troublemakers they use it on?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

ArrayList

Premium Member

said by KookyMan:

Specifically its against the AUP to talk off topic on a forum.
AT&T has no business with what I do on a forum unless it is their own.

I have U-Verse and am now going to start talking about baseball. Anyone watch the cubs game today?

boy i hope that AT&T doesn't hit me with a AUP/TOS violation. jk

As for gotcha's... My install was pretty straightforward. Just make sure your within 3500ft from the VRAD, I believe that is the distance. The installer will mess around at the VRAD and outside your house at the NID until they are able to get a good signal to the NID, then they will hook up the RG(Router Gateway). The RG is the modem. From there it depends on if you have tv or phone service as well. I haven't had either of those and can't comment on their install. If you have a good installer you will be fine.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to KookyMan

Mod

to KookyMan
said by KookyMan:

I have to admit I have heard some nasty things about ATTs. Specifically its against the AUP to talk off topic on a forum.
Where in the TOS does it say anything about that???

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to xpkranger

MVM

to xpkranger
said by xpkranger:

After many years defending and lately tolerating Comcast we have finally decided to abandon Comcast in favor of Uverse. The internet service was fine from Comcast, but their customer service was abysmal and my wife finally refused to deal any further with Comcast. That and our bandwidth usage was creeping up on the 250 Gb mark due to Netflix, Hulu and other streaming after we killed the cable tv from Comcast. So, the install is this Friday. (A guy in an AT&T truck spent most of the afternoon on a pole outside my house yesterday.) Can anyone point out any particular things we should be on the look out for during or after the installation? Looking forward to good things, hope it lives up to the hype.
If you have any ungrounded (2 prong) outlets that the U-Verse equipment will plug into, you might have a problem depending on the installer you get.

xpkranger
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
Tucker, GA

1 edit

xpkranger

Premium Member

Thanks everyone! Just completed the install. The tech was friendly and professional, seemed to know what he was doing. The only hiccup came when he wasn't able to get the twisted pair to sync directly with the RG. He wound up using the coax instead. I said I was fine with that so long as it didn't affect my bandwidth. He said it wouldn't unless I wanted to drop below the 18 Mb tier. Voice set-up seems seamless except I don't seem to have caller ID. Will work on that.

@JimThePCGuy - I'd heard about the grounded outlet thing and was ready for it. My house was built in 1962 and the original wiring does not include a ground wire. However one outlet in my office was added at a later date and (to my amazement) it had a ground wire that worked! (tested with a ground tester) It simply needed a new 59 cent three-prong plug. In the interest of full disclosure though, I didn't actually use that outlet though. I used a more convenient outlet (that I replaced with a 3-prong outlet at the same time) but was not grounded. If he ever tested the ground, he didn't mention it. The RG does not seem to have any kind of a wiring fault indicator, so it's not like it just won't work if it's not grounded. Before the electricians get upset, I know it should be grounded and I am in the process of getting quotes to have the whole house brought up to modern code.

KookyMan
join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI

KookyMan to Dennis

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

said by KookyMan:

I have to admit I have heard some nasty things about ATTs. Specifically its against the AUP to talk off topic on a forum.
Where in the TOS does it say anything about that???
It appears its been updated.. I remembered an article about it a year plus ago. (After researching, it was the TOS as implemented in 2007, which actually stated(paraphrased):
AT&T the right to suspend your account and all service "for conduct that AT&T believes"..."(c) tends to damage the name or reputation of AT&T, or its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries." )

Is the current TOS/AUP at this address: »www.att.com/u-verse/att- ··· internet It mentions an AUP ("Incorporated by reference" to a URL that no longer exists). If it is, let me ask: Is there anything in the AUP that says you can't run a server? (Web or otherwise?) I can't find it but it seems everything I search for regarding AUP or TOS sends me to redirects back to the main page.

goetzpage
@comcast.net

goetzpage to xpkranger

Anon

to xpkranger

I currently have both an ATT phone number, and a Comcast cable phone number (as well as Comcast cable TV and internet service). I'd like to switch to a high-end uverse bundle of TV, internet, and landline service. But I still need the Comcast cable TV.

In terms of gotchas, I've read on some forums that uverse installers require that any other copper lines into the house must be cut.

If this is true, I would lose my Comcast phone line and TV services. Is it really the case that ATT uverse only allows copper wires into a house that carry only their service ?

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

No AT&T only wants you to cancel other services that use their lines, they don't care about lines owned by another company.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 edit

JimThePCGuy to goetzpage

MVM

to goetzpage
Before U-Verse I had:

2 POTS lines (one with lineshare DSL)
1 Comcast coax cable (HSI and Cable TV)

After U-Verse I have:

2 Pots lines (one with lineshare U-Verse (TV and HSI))
1 Comcast coax cable (HSI and Basic Cable TV)