share rss forum feed view:
normal
This is a sub-selection from [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI
reply to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

I have an update for Mabinogi... Seems I jumped the gun a little, there.

- Mabinogi (Works fairly well!) -- As first, I thought there was no debilitating lag in the game. Turns out that I was wrong. Once you get into any sort of fight at all (which is something I didn't test prior), the lag shows its ugly head. Seems that while the combat is turn-based (sort of), even if you input your commands in advance, you're never really able to execute them within an acceptable amount of time.
Let's say you just knocked down a random monster. The logical thing to do next would be to hit either Counterattack or Defense to brace yourself since they have invincibility time while getting back up. On a normal connection, you could pop the command in and execute it before the enemy got near you. On HughesNet, however, the enemy can easily reach you before you've gotten anywhere near finished executing your command!
Here's another very annoying example. You go to attack an enemy with a close-range attack. The enemy won't hold still for whatever reason. Rather than swing at the enemy and clip it as it squirms away, you end up perpetually chasing it until it decides to sit still or potentially attack first!

All this doesn't make the game unplayable, however. The game is still very much playable and enjoyable despite the lag and netcode goofs. Moving around works fine (unless you snag on something, which may happen if you're not careful), interaction works just fine, actions work alright. The usual lag rules apply as well. It's just slightly irritating, is all. Heh.
--
ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet
Modem Model: HN9000
Service Plan: ProPlus (525MB/day, 1.6 Mbps Down 250 Kbps Up)