Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

[TIVO] New Link to Register your RCN TIVO on TiVo.Com

There was multiple threads and feedback about the confusion of where to go to register your RCN TiVo and tie in a email address to your TiVo TSN. Thankfully we were able to get a specific URL so that RCN customers can go directly to in order to accomplish this task.

That URL is :

www.tivo.com/rcn
--
Jason Nealis,
Sr. Director, Video Product and Video Operations

benjamin
All propositions are of equal value
Premium
join:2000-12-20
New York, NY

The appropriate link does easily get overlooked when on the regular registration page, so this is a great idea. Nice work!

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to rcnman

said by rcnman:

There was multiple threads and feedback about the confusion of where to go to register your RCN TiVo and tie in a email address to your TiVo TSN. Thankfully we were able to get a specific URL so that RCN customers can go directly to in order to accomplish this task.

That URL is :

www.tivo.com/rcn
does the e-mail address have to be an RCN e-mail or can I use a different e-mail (such as Yahoo or Hotmail) to register my Tivo at that link?

SidR

join:2010-03-19

any email address will do -- needn't be rcn.com.

stevesdc

join:2010-05-18
reply to rcnman

That URL redirected me to a "standard" TiVO registration page without any special RCN link; I entered the number and my email address but received no message back to consider registration. What should I do next?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
reply to TitusTroy

it can be any email address however, the phone number and zip have to match with what we have on record, We send that info over to TIVO during the activation and if it doesn't match you won't be able to activate your TCO account.
--
Jason Nealis,

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to rcnman

tried registering at that link but it is not accepting my registration...I keep getting the following error message:

"We're sorry, but we could not find your customer record based on the information that you entered. Please verify your information and try again. If you have tried unsuccessfully several times and still need assistance, please call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486."

I'm positive the Tivo service number I entered was correct along with all other info

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

TitusTroy : PM me your TSN...

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to stevesdc

thanks for the help Jason...I was finally able to register this morning

said by stevesdc:

That URL redirected me to a "standard" TiVO registration page without any special RCN link; I entered the number and my email address but received no message back to consider registration. What should I do next?
I also didn't receive my confirmation message on my Tivo box right away...after waiting for 30 minutes I followed the troubleshooting tip on the Tivo site which got everything working:

If you have not yet received your message, please follow these troubleshooting steps:

1.Wait 10 minutes from the time you pressed the button on the previous page.

2.On your DVR, go to 'TiVo Central' > 'Messages & Settings' > 'Settings' > 'Phone & Network' > 'Connect to the TiVo service now.'

3.Wait for the connection to complete. The connection can take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours to finish. For help with connecting to the TiVo service, see How do I connect to the TiVo service?

4.Once the connection has completed, wait an additional 5 minutes for the message to be processed.

5.Press the TiVo button on your remote control, and your message should be displayed. You can also find it by going to 'TiVo Central' > 'Messages & Settings' > 'Messages.'

6.Read the message and enter the "special confirmation phrase" below.

jmackie1982

join:2010-06-30
reply to rcnman

Jason,

Please help I can get through the entire process but when I attempt to put in the confirmation phrase the page refreshes and I have no clue what is going on.

Please help.

-Jordan

Watrat

join:2003-02-20
Watertown, MA

1 edit

Exact same issue I am dealing with here
I have been trying several different web browsers and different addresses but when it comes time to enter the pass phrase it refreshes to a blank space. I have been on the phone with RCN and they want me to call Tivo now.

Watrat

Watertown, MA

Have spent the better part of an hour with Tivo and they insist its an rcn issue. Something is getting lost in the translation of my old Tivo account from 2000 and trying to activate these RCN boxes. What doesn't make sense, though, is that I am logged out of my tivo account. Could something not me registered properly on the RCN side..if the settings have to match exactly?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Please send me your tsn's so I can dig into this. This isn't right.

--
Jason Nealis,

Watrat

Watertown, MA

Jason. I sent you a PM last night. Woke up this morning and all seems right with the world. My account on tivo.com is how I want it and am able to do remote scheduling.

PS. I dealt with someone named Lorenzo, I think that was his name, at RCN and he was really patient and helpful. Wasn't able to fix my issue, but was really cool over the phone and didn't try and rush me off.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Sorry I missed the pm, I'm actually here in Boston this week working with everyone on the launch. I've escalated with TiVo on the extreme lag we are seeing on confirmation emails and I had heard they are getting better be maybe not. TiVo has been a great partner sonic very confident they will get it resolved.
--
Jason Nealis,

Watrat

Watertown, MA

Welcome to Paradise...I mean Boston I am not sure what the issue was although it could have been related to me having an account with tivo.com years ago. Also, noticed that when I did register the two boxes it gave me a name that was a sort of combination of my middle initial and first name. That seemed to stump RCN and the Tivo folks. Once Tivo changed my name to my actual name things seemed to kick in.

HDphile

join:2008-10-06
Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

Unfortunately I have the same issue as TitusTroy

"We're sorry, but we could not find your customer record based on the information that you entered. Please verify your information and try again. If you have tried unsuccessfully several times and still need assistance, please call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486."

Any help?

TitusTroy

New York, NY

said by HDphile:

Unfortunately I have the same issue as TitusTroy

Any help?
send an IM to rcnman with your TSN#...he probably needs to unlock something in your account...that's what he did to fix my registration issue

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Shoot your TSN to me and I'll have a look...

HDphile

join:2008-10-06
Washington, DC

Sent!! Thanks! Can't wait to use more features of the Tivo.

TurboCC

@rcn.com
reply to rcnman

rcnman...

Could you please help with getting my Tivo Premiere to work...

I used www.tivo.com/rcn then it stops you dead in your track and you have to wait for "confirmation phrase'... the first one sent after 48 hours would not work... then I went through the process yet again and after over 24 hours, I get the phrase...but then I think the issue is with being to continue registration instead of going through the 1-2-3 (send message to DVR) which I think kills the phrase that I just receive and am trying to enter.

Believe me... my day-job is computing and I've never seen anything as confusing all the way back to the days of Mainframe or DOS...

I can send you my TSN as needed.

THANKS!

claygreenber
Premium
join:2007-08-02
Washington, DC

Just call Tivo or do an online chat at tivo.com and they'll set up the email address for you.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
reply to TurboCC

said by TurboCC :

rcnman...

Could you please help with getting my Tivo Premiere to work...

I used www.tivo.com/rcn then it stops you dead in your track and you have to wait for "confirmation phrase'... the first one sent after 48 hours would not work... then I went through the process yet again and after over 24 hours, I get the phrase...but then I think the issue is with being to continue registration instead of going through the 1-2-3 (send message to DVR) which I think kills the phrase that I just receive and am trying to enter.

Believe me... my day-job is computing and I've never seen anything as confusing all the way back to the days of Mainframe or DOS...

I can send you my TSN as needed.

THANKS!
Please send me your TSN, and I agree this is frustrating and I've been hammering TiVo on getting this resolved. Soon RCN will launch a new way to register your tivo with them thru MYRCN which from our early testing the process will take under 15 min for you to get your phrase.

Jason
--
Jason Nealis,

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TurboCC

You'll need to register (it's free) to utilize our instant message system, TurboCC.

rcnman See Profile can assist you that way

»Site FAQ »IMs and Privacy

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to rcnman

what happens if I change out my Tivo box...will I have to re-register it?

jay22381

join:2009-09-28
Allentown, PA
reply to rcnman

i get my tivo install tomm cant wait im in the lehigh valley.

TitusTroy

New York, NY

1 edit
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

what happens if I change out my Tivo box...will I have to re-register it?
??...I'm going to assume the answer is Yes as the Tivo box itself (TSN#) is tied into each account

midtownwest

join:2010-08-10
New York, NY
reply to rcnman

Thanks! Got the new box today. The RCN rep was efficient and enthusiastic. I had the reported problems registering the box with Tivo. I was able to get the passphrase sent to my box, but when I input it on the Tivo website I got stuck in an infinite loop. However, I was able to sweet-talk the rep into activating the account over the phone. (I didn't want to ask RCNMan for a favor on my first day with the box.)

I have already downloaded several music videos, scheduled recordings from my phone, web, etc.

I'd love the HDUI, but I can wait. Once it is available, we should be able to turn it on or off in the Tivo menus.

goldbeab

join:2008-05-31
Brighton, MA
reply to rcnman

Jason, any update on registering through MYRCN? I'm stuck in the same loop from hell that TurboCC was going through and I can't register using the tivo.com/rcn link.