join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

IPv6 help

First of all I am kinda Newbie to IPv6.

I want to use IPv6. My router will do it. I do not want to set up a tunnel to HE as that requires a fixed IP on my end which as a cox home user I cannot have. I dont think tunnels will work with ddns.

If I just plug my computer directly into the cable modem it automagically gets all the IPv6 tunnel info from cox and just works by assigning a single IPv6 address to the computer.

However I have a bunch of devices currently behind a router and cant hook them all to a switch and to the cable modem as Cox does not support more then 3 devices this way.

So I want to hook more then 3 devices to Cox and do IPv6 as a home user. Turns out this is nearly impossible it seems as all the solutions require a fixed IP and a tunnel to HE..

What I think I want to do is to get a block of IPv6 addresses from the cable co so I can assign them to my computers connected to the router. I think I also need the following info for my router.

I need these for the Cox network. I think.

IPv6 Tunnel Endpoints
Server IPv4 address: xx.xx.xx.xx
Server IPv6 address: 2001:xxx:x:xxx::1/64
Client IPv4 address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Client IPv6 address: 2001:xxx:x:xxx::2/64
Available DNS Resolvers
Anycasted IPv6 Caching Nameserver: 2001:xxx:xx::2
Anycasted IPv4 Caching Nameserver: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Routed IPv6 Prefixes and rDNS Delegations
Routed /64: 2001:xxx:x:xxx::/64
FourWheelKid
join:2006-03-03
Lafayette, LA

FourWheelKid

Don't think Cox supports IPv6, at least not residential. *Maybe* business, but that'd be a long shot.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

I can plug a computer directly into the cable modem and the computer gets automatically assigned a full set of IPv6 parameters and works on IPv6 with no configuration needed at all.

So Cox is supporting IPv6 via a automagically configured tunnel.

Ikyuao
join:2007-02-26
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

Want to know if DHCP is not necessary be required for IP6v parameter set?

Just curious about that.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1
Click for full size
This is what I see.

To my knowledge Cox is not running IPv6 on the last mile of their network, and they aren't allowing anyone to request/purchase IPv6 blocks.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to xymox1

MVM

to xymox1
said by xymox1:

I can plug a computer directly into the cable modem and the computer gets automatically assigned a full set of IPv6 parameters and works on IPv6 with no configuration needed at all.

So Cox is supporting IPv6 via a automagically configured tunnel.
there are no ipv6 options available (as far as i know) through cox internet. are you sure that you are not seeing the link-local interface come up? i'm not as versed with ipv6 as i should be, but there are several important "interfaces" that are required for true dhcpv6 to occur (link local and autoconfiguration interfaces).

it is entirely possible to run an he.net tunnel on a cox residential connection (in fact, i'm doing so now). i terminate the he.net tunnel on my cisco 871 and then use a windows 2008 server to handle the ipv4 and ipv6 dhcp to my ubuntu systems (i also run a domain and some other services using this device). from there, i monitor the tunnel using cacti and have it alert me when the packetloss through the tunnel is 100% for so many consecutive snmp queries to the tunnel interface. at this point, i compare my public ip address against what is in he.net's database and reconfigure as necessary. as long as you're not on a section of plant that is being reconfigured/split/etc. your ip should stay fairly constant.

q.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

The automagic occurs with a tunnel apperently supplied by cox. So the modem and all is IPv4. I want to be able to access this tunnel and get a block of addresses for my router to provide to my computers. -- i think -- heheh...

So anyone can try this.. With Vista and W7 I think you can just plug your computer directly into your cable modem, wait for it to get connected to the net, restart your browser, and go to »v6.testmyipv6.com/ and it will work. So will »ipv6.google.com. Its magic..

With XP you have to install IPv6. This is real easy. Get to a command prompt, start>run>type cmd and press enter. Then type "ipv6 install". It will install it. Your done. No need to reboot. You do gotta restart your browser. I have not uninstalled it, so you would have to figure that out.

All my computers will do this. IPv6 works out of the box automagically configured. Does not even require a reboot.

It sets up a 6to4 tunnel to cox.. I think... Maybe to HE via cox..

Once working. From the command prompt you can do a few things. Most important is ipconfig, but you also have ping6 and tracrt6

Im going to use my exact addresses here. YES I know its not good to put these up, but they are for a computer that will not be facing the net anyway.. Also the exact number will be important to discussion. The machine has been unpluged from the modem now anyway..

From a ipconfig, In my case the automagical numbers that got assigned are:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: ph.cox.net
IP address:68.106.249.47
subnet mask:255.255.248.0
IP Address:fe80::f200:8dff:fed1:783f%5
Default gateway:68.106.248.1

skipping Tunnel adapter Teredo as its not used.

Tunnel adapter 6to4:

IP Address: 2002:446a:f92f::446a:f92f
default gateway: 2002:c050:6301::c050:6301

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

IP Address: fe80::5efe:68.106.249.47%2

So the question for cox is, how do I access this and get a block assigned to me ? Is one assigned normally - in that case I just need to know what it is.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

I escalated this question to the forum that makes sense for my question I think. I didn;t realize there was a IPv6 forum here However I think I still need local Cox help as well..

»[ipv6] Newbie help - Mikrotik Router + Cox cable
60373562 (banned)
join:2004-04-13
Glendale, AZ

60373562 (banned)

I see you have a HE tunnel.

You will need a firmware for your router that has ipv6 support. ie. DD-WRT, or OpenWrt. OpenWrt is not as easy as DD-WRT as there is a specific build which works well out of the box.

If you google DD-WRT v24 SP1 crushedhat you should find crushedhat's SVN 10070 build.

Enable IPv6/Radvd and use the following config for radvd:

interface br0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
MinRtrAdvInterval 3;
MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;
prefix 2001:xxx:x:xxx::/64
{
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
AdvRouterAddr on;
};
};

go to commands and save the following as your startup script:

ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 66.220.18.42 ttl 64
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:xxx:x:xxx::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6

ip addr add ROUTED::1/64 dev br0

Should work perfectly after a reboot. let me know.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Yes, ive done that. In fact in these very forums a few years back I posted how to use DD-WRT to do that. BUT again, this requires a fixed IP. As a residential Cox client I dont have that. Also this requires manual configuration. I am looking for a automatic configuration that does not require a fixed IP. Just like my computer works simply plugging it into the cable modem. NO settings/configuration at all. I figure if the computer can do, so the router should be able to as well.

Thanks tho.

CoxTOC1
join:2007-05-15
Newport News, VA

CoxTOC1 to xymox1

to xymox1
At this time we do not provide IPv6 to any residential or business connection. We do have plans to eventually offer IPv6 but I think we are a year or two away from testing to residential and/or business.
60373562 (banned)
Glendale, AZ

60373562 (banned) to xymox1

to xymox1
it doesn't require a fixed IP. That's just lazy. Even I will admit that, with all my aggressions towards Cox.

Don't put the local ip in the startup script and it will bind to the proper wan ip everytime.

Then just download the tunnelbroker script to update your ip. Run it on wan ip change...

Pretty automatic. Even for me, and I'm lazy.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Mryanbrown,
quote:
Don't put the local ip in the startup script and it will bind to the proper wan ip everytime.
You have a script ? For what platform ?
quote:
Then just download the tunnelbroker script to update your ip. Run it on wan ip change...
Where is this tunnelbroker script ? And again what platform ?

This sounds perfect. Well, I want to stay with RouterOS.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Turns out that RouterOS cant do this via scripting. RouterOS has no way to convert a number to hex in the scripting. Also the IPv6 stuff in the current stable version of RouterOS is buggy...

So while it is 100% possible to automagiclly do what I am suggesting, I can't implement it via RouterOS on my own. Mikrotik would have to implement a solution.

»forum.mikrotik.com/viewt ··· #p208479
60373562 (banned)
Glendale, AZ

60373562 (banned)

you have an ipv6 address right? like an fe80? are you capable of doing sit tunnels? the platform is linux. you need ip and iptables. the script to create the tunnel is easy.

then theres a bash script you can run to update your ip with he.

»ipv6.he.net/tunnelbroker ··· date.php

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Well good suggestions ! and is most likely do-able via dd-wrt or open-wrt based routers. I prefer the Mikrotik hardware however and I am trapped because RouterOS does not allow root access to *nix.

So I am out of luck unless I switch router hardware, which I dont want to do.

So I am going to try and appeal to the Mikrotik developers for a built-in solution. I think it would make a great SOHO feature for a router.

Thanks for exploring the issue
60373562 (banned)
Glendale, AZ

60373562 (banned)

I'll look into a workaround out of curiosity. It doesn't allow you any type of root level access? No sudo? higher permissions? That's crazy.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Yes it is crazy.... At first I was like ???? WHAT,,, I dont believe it... I was so used to Open-WRT and DD-WRT being root that I was kinda stunned. They even have a huge amount of extram ram avaliave and lots of NAND disk space unused. Not to mention a 800Mhz MIPS CPU.

While they make lots of amazing products, I like this one for features / price. »routerboard.com/pricelis ··· oduct=52

And this one is just stupid performance for the money
»routerboard.com/pricelis ··· oduct=90

The OS »www.mikrotik.com/pdf/wha ··· eros.pdf

Scripting »wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/M ··· cripting