[Tweak Test] Rough first weekend with DSL Extreme
Sashwa sent me over here to get help improving my connection. I got internet on Friday with DSL Extreme and have not been very pleased so far.
The 11 things I'm told are required...
2. Until the 2 hours or so, I've averaged 1502 DL & 77.3 UL... in the last 8 tests over 2 hours, I've averaged 2389 DL & 509.25 UL which is a little closer to what I expected with my 3MB line. It's like it was taking all weekend to "warm up" and is now starting to hit its stride, although I've been disconnected almost a dozen times within these last two hours.
4. DSL with DSL Extreme -- modem is a Comtrend CT-5072T
5. I use Window's built-in PPPoE connection tool/software.
6. Not sure what this is?
7. WinXP service pack 3
9. No network
10. No router
11. I believe I was told on the phone 1600 ft.
Conclusion: right now I'm not sure how much tweaking I need since I think these speeds look good, I just wonder if they will last. Even though the last few hours have been great, the disconnections are annoying, and I did at least two tests that were back in the 1600 DL & 80 (!) UL range. I'm hoping the current speeds of 2600/700 will be the norm from here on out.
Looks pretty good at this point.
Just for the Heckuvit, Download Dr.TCP (from the above forum links), and change your RWIN to 63360 (an Even Multiple of your MSS) to help reduce Packet Fragmentation. Leave everything else at the Defaults, Save the settings, close Dr.TCP, Reboot, and speedtest again.
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.