spc
Search similar:

uniqs
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

borka

How is this even legal?

I dont understand why all isp's done deny the requests for IP's?? this puts extra work load on their employees and costs them money.

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.

And i find it hard to believe that the "US Coperight Group" will be able to get THOUSANDS of court orders each month from a judge.

This "Sue o matic" approach has to be illegal.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Why? Just because so many people do an illegal activity it has to be legal?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios

said by wkm001:

Yea its called Civil Disobedience. Its how you get bad laws changed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ci ··· bedience

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to borka

MVM

to borka
said by borka:

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.
What exactly do you think a subpoena is? In this case it's an official writ compelling TWC to produce the information. There is little judicial processing required as a subpoena can be very narrow or broad. If it's overly broad, the subpoenaed party can attempt to quash it by going before a judge for review. TWC can ask for compensation to produce the information. I know Verizon has such a policy.
cdru

cdru to elios

MVM

to elios
said by elios:

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that
You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

2 edits

elios

said by cdru:

said by elios:

You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.
does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by elios:

does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation
DMCA didn't make copyright infringement suddenly illegal. It was illegal long before that. If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

said by cdru:

If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.
For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to borka

Premium Member

to borka
more vital, how is it even legal that Uwe Boll is still allowed to make movies based on video games.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to james16

MVM

to james16
said by james16:

For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.
Please then, educate me. Please show me some type of evidence that people who are pirating the latest movie or song or ebook aren't doing so because they don't want to pay for it, but rather they are protesting some unfair or unjust law oppressing them.

james16

james16

said by cdru:

Please then, educate me.
Sorry chief, there are only so many hours in the day. If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind and you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Also you'll see how copyright laws have changed in the past hundred years.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by james16:

If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind
Despite how I may sound, I actually have a very open mind. I personally don't care a whole lot between the battles between **AA and those that download their content...and I often cheer for the little guy in some way even if they are guilty.
you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money. I guess if you want to call it that then go ahead. But I don't think many would call it civil disobedience. I think most, even those that do it, piracy.

james16

james16

said by cdru:

Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money.
It's civil disobedience towards copyright law which is in place to the sole benefit of publishers and the detriment of the public at large and artists themselves.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, in this matter people have already made up their mind and no amount of reason or logic will change their minds, so I'm not going to bother discussing this matter with you any further.
robertg1234
join:2004-04-19
Palo Alto, CA

robertg1234

said by james16:

said by cdru:

Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money.
It's civil disobedience towards copyright law which is in place to the sole benefit of publishers and the detriment of the public at large and artists themselves.
Unfortunately it's The Law. Much as we hate it. And it's lemmings like us who allow Congre$$ to be bought into ... err ... pass those laws.

I regularly practice civil disobedience. I don't go to the movies. I don't buy any new music. I limit my video purchases to under $10 for Bluray ($5 for DVD), and I keep a 1-item Netflix acct.

I have a Tivo with lots of movies I prefer to keep. And TV shows in which I edit out commercials (download/upload via pyTivo and hand edit). And once cable becomes expensive, I'll cancel and keep those movies and shows on my Tivo to watch.

The RIAA/MPAA can sue and sue all they want. They have scared me away from it all for sure.

They just have also scared me away from other legitimate choices also.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to borka

Premium Member

to borka
this puts extra work load on their employees and costs them money.
Having handled address lookups back in the days of dialup where there were 100s of connections and disconnections per hour making it a lot more work, I have to call bull****. It wasn't that much work then -- one shell script that made one complicated SQL query. It's absolutely trivial with today's rarely changing DSL and cable dynamic addressing.

I'd love to get $45 per lookup. I'd be f'ing RICH in no time.

(Plus, knowing people are going to be asking, you setup systems to make it quick and easy.)
djcrazy
Premium Member
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

djcrazy to wkm001

Premium Member

to wkm001
said by wkm001:

Why should these entities be able to buy laws from our corrupt government that are not in the general public's best interest?
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to cramer

to cramer
You've just described the technical end of it. That's the easy part. I suspect the bottleneck at TWC comes from their legal department, which doubtless reviews these requests before allowing their IT folks to release the information.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to robertg1234

Premium Member

to robertg1234
said by robertg1234:

And TV shows in which I edit out commercials (download/upload via pyTivo and hand edit). And once cable becomes expensive, I'll cancel and keep those movies and shows on my Tivo to watch.
I don't think that's 100% Kosher