67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Newzbin is DEAD

»Re: Newzbin functional again?!

As reported by emig5m

»www.newzbin.com/

Regrettably the Newzbin website has to close as a result of the legal action against us. More details here: »deepsharer.wordpress.com ··· -gossip/

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Well, that fucking blows. They can keep my money (like I have a choice) to help with their legal fees. I just want to know what's going to happen to site specific personal information. I surely hope the part about hacking the site for the code is, regrettably, true and another newzbin pops up in a less litigious country.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Newzbin truly was the best of its kind.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Clones incoming... 4...3...2..1...

Reno7
Premium Member
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX

Reno7 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
I really miss Newzbin but honestly it's absence hasn't slowed me down that much. If anything, it's made me less likely to buy anything, and more likely to provide others with things.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
That's shiiiiitty. I haven't been using it much because I haven't been downloading much (so I just get my stuff through SuperSearch), but I will miss NewzXXX.com for sure.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by pr1mo:

That's shiiiiitty. I haven't been using it much because I haven't been downloading much (so I just get my stuff through SuperSearch), but I will miss NewzXXX.com for sure.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!
lol they have won a battle but not the war. We all know this and they do too. I just love the times we live in! It is going to be quite interesting over the next couple of years! I have not only new filesharing news to look out for but as well as to see what crazy mother nature is up to next! Best of both worlds for me!

Something will good come out of this like many have been saying and I believe that. Does anyone know what ? Not really. Though whatever it is will be interesting.
Anon00
Premium Member
join:2001-09-25
USA

1 edit

Anon00 to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7
said by Reno7:

I really miss Newzbin but honestly it's absence hasn't slowed me down that much. If anything, it's made me less likely to buy anything, and more likely to provide others with things.
I know I will never ever buy another movie from a mainstream studio again.

PS Let's hope Newzbin releases their source code.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Anon00:

said by Reno7:

I know I will never ever buy another movie from a mainstream studio again.

PS Let's hope Newzbin releases their source code.
That or someone really did hack them to get their source code. This is one time when a hacker can be useful hehe. I still don't like them though.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Welp its like anything else. One goes down other will come in it's place.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

said by Warzau:

Welp its like anything else. One goes down other will come in it's place.
yea, but this really was a *big* "one"..

..perhaps the biggest to date..

dean2900
@rr.com

dean2900 to Warzau

Anon

to Warzau
They are shut down and currently own 230k Euros to the MPA and to an outside development company.

The MPA(A) is clueless. They keep shutting down small sites because they have deep pockets.

Maybe I am being naive but I believe most people who are into movies will buy movies if they are resonably priced and do not have DRM.

I have purchased movies on Beta then VHS, then Laserdisc, then DVD, and now on BluRay. How many times can the company charge for the same product. This doesnt even count the special UNRATED versions and extended cuts to milk every penny out.

Many people today have home theater experiences which are better than the theater experience and would love to watch new movies in High Def at home if the MPA(A) would just come up with services especially something like $50 dollars a mont for unlimited streaming of movies.

Netflix is not bad but their streaming videos are extremely limited due to the green of the MPA(A) to want to charge ludicrous amounts for Netflix to allow many movies to be available on demand.

Time for the MPA(A) to move into the 21st century.

Dean
Insder
There never was a second I in my name
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Salem, MA

Insder to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

»Re: Newzbin functional again?!

As reported by emig5m

»www.newzbin.com/

Regrettably the Newzbin website has to close as a result of the legal action against us. More details here: »deepsharer.wordpress.com ··· -gossip/
Had about 136 days credit left but thankfully I didn't buy as much as I planned at the last half-price sale. Oh well, lately I've been using binsearch.info since Newzbin blocked movies and I had to use raw/condensed..now I'll just use it full time. Not worth complaining over the credit either, since it's like $5. I do wish Newzbin the best of luck though, awesome site.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I had over 400 days left and I have no problem with them keeping the money to help pay for their legal bills. I used their site for almost as long as it was up and it more than paid for itself a long time ago.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

ErikRP to jimboe

to jimboe
Napster was the biggest of its day and yet the filesharing scene is miles better than it was back then. The ability to share this sort of information will remain free so long as the internet remains its beautifully uncontrolled self.

Governments here and there can do what it wants, ISPs can try to monitor and rat out its customers to RIIA, MPAA, etc., but there will always be people out there who try and get around the system.

We need to support them up until the point they fail, then we need to support the next big thing.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to 67845017

to 67845017
So is there and nzb site that comes close to the functionality of newzbin out there?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

2 edits

67845017 (banned)

Really depends on what functionality you used. I thought Newzbin had it all (except retention, unfortunately).

But, if you want just reports, then Matrix is probably the way to go. They have no Raw. They aren't as powerful in searching or filtering capabilities. Their integration isn't as good with Sabnzbd, but you can make it work. This is probably the best bet, albeit flawed, solution now if you can live without Raw.

If you want Raw, then Binsearch.info is good.

Between the two, you can probably get the majority of the functionality of Newzbin.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

Cool thanks for the info.

toddbs98
join:2000-07-08
North Little Rock, AR

toddbs98 to 67845017

to 67845017
Glad I traded off all my invites for invites to other sites

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
I've been going with Binsearch a whole lot more ever since Newzbin lost the case against the MPA and had to start filtering content. I figured it was only a matter of time before they were shut down.

shudwein
OG
join:2001-10-12
Canada

shudwein to 67845017

to 67845017
honestly, I've been using other free sites more frequently as Newzbin started to stagnate over the years.
kiamsiamdala
join:2001-11-05
Utica, MI

kiamsiamdala

Oh yeah? What sites might those be? Newzbin with greasemonkey scripts was unbeatable, imo. And how exactly do you mean stagnate? If you're referring to NZBMatrix, it's ok, but still no Newzbin.

shudwein
OG
join:2001-10-12
Canada

1 edit

shudwein

said by kiamsiamdala:

Oh yeah? What sites might those be? Newzbin with greasemonkey scripts was unbeatable, imo. And how exactly do you mean stagnate? If you're referring to NZBMatrix, it's ok, but still no Newzbin.
Nzbclub mostly. I like their search better.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

nzbclub.com?

Seriously?
noclip
join:2004-04-20
Fairfax, VA

noclip to 67845017

to 67845017
Sad to see them go, newzbin became a victim of its own popularity. I wish we could go back to the days when Usenet was still relatively off-the-radar compared to other filesharing mediums like torrents.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Sorry to see them go. I had some credit good until the end of the year, but oh well, I hope my money went to good use fighting the good fight. Will miss you Newzbin.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

1 edit

Ryan to noclip

Premium Member

to noclip
said by noclip:

Sad to see them go, newzbin became a victim of its own popularity. I wish we could go back to the days when Usenet was still relatively off-the-radar compared to other filesharing mediums like torrents.
Same, but people just cant keep their damn mouths shut. Most new users dont even know what the one rule is with usenet. Its unfortunately the begging of the end.. Lets just hope nzb sites remain the target and not the providers, although I know that is wishful thinking.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

said by Ryan:

said by noclip:

Same, but people just cant keep their damn mouths shut. Most new users dont even know what the one rule is with usenet. Its unfortunately the begging of the end.. Lets just hope nzb sites remain the target and not the providers, although I know that is wishful thinking.
Honestly, ideally you're both right about the importance of being "off the radar". HOWEVER,

That is a double-edge sword. Newzbin would probably not have been nearly as good if it had remained on the D-L;

It is precisely the magnitude of users (and therefore editors, read contributors) that made the site so fully functional.

That's really undeniable.

Also, I feel nzb proly shut themselves down, because they couldn't pay bills anymore, and did not *get* shut down.

They lost a judgement, and were abiding by the rules that were being enforced upon them.

The proly couldn't pay their colo bills after the legal fight was lost.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by jimboe:

said by Ryan:

said by noclip:

Honestly, ideally you're both right about the importance of being "off the radar". HOWEVER,

That is a double-edge sword. Newzbin would probably not have been nearly as good if it had remained on the D-L;

It is precisely the magnitude of users (and therefore editors, read contributors) that made the site so fully functional.

Also, I feel nzb proly shut themselves down, because they couldn't pay bills anymore, and did not *get* shut down.

They lost a judgement, and were abiding by the rules that were being enforced upon them.

That is a interesting theory. I guess we will never know but that was one hefty software bill though
noclip
join:2004-04-20
Fairfax, VA

noclip to jimboe

to jimboe
said by jimboe:

...It is precisely the magnitude of users (and therefore editors, read contributors) that made the site so fully functional.

True. It sounds like this is becoming the rise and fall of any great filesharing website. They start off with innovative ideas, get popular (with cash flow), perfect their services, and after a brief golden age eventually get noticed by the tech-inept dopes at MPAA. I've actually been using Rapidshare more these days, it's a bit more involved (googling), but RS will commonly have things Usenet won't.