share rss forum feed

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to kaiser

Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

said by kaiser:

Anyone get the upgrade yet?
Looks like it got pushed to next week...

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui ··· xes.html

Below posted on June 4.

Thanks for your questions and comments about this new guide.

I wanted to leave a quick note to announce that we have rescheduled the deployment of this new guide in the Middletown, CT area to now the week of June 14th. Previously I had communicated that June 8 would be the deployment date.

Apologies for the slight delay but we want to be sure that we get the customer experience right!

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to kaiser
and it looks like the initial specific areas in CT were also identified...(also on the blog)

....bring this new guide experience to Comcast customers in central Connecticut including the towns and areas of Middle Haddam, Cobalt, Cromwell, East Hampton, Middlefield, Middletown, Portland, Rockfall and Wesleyan College.

If you live in one of these areas, look for your new user guide in the mail next week with a letter announcing the new guide PLUS a coupon good for a free On Demand movie.

Additional areas of Connecticut will also be scheduled to get the new guide in June.

TopDog

join:2007-02-02
Brandon, MS
reply to The Q
They can apologize for the "slight delay" all they want.

When we were converted to this atrocious SARA guide in 2008, we were told this was only temporary and the "rest of the upgrade" would be coming in "early 2009".

Now, for those not in CT, all we know is we'll be getting it in "2010". I won't hold my breath. Comcast has ALWAYS been off on their promised dates by no less than 6 months on ANYTHING. This joke of a cable company needs some competition badly so they can actually have some incentive to live up to their promises that they NEVER meet on time.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:5
I have to agree with you on this, I'm tired of always being let down by what Comcast promises, I mean they they have the most HD channels ever, yet its not true. If it was then every single customer would have the exact same HD channels across the board, not certain states or areas have Group A set of channels while others have Group B,C,or D set of channels. Same thing with their internet tiers. Uniformity for goodness sakes. I know someone is going to give some excuse on why this isnt possible, and I'm sure there are valid reasons, but it still needed to be said.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to Camaro305
I have friends and relatives who live in Moto areas here in New Jersey, and I absolutely CAN'T STAND their guides because there's a big, bulging advertisement at the bottom of it! When you're cycling through the listings, you have to stop on the stupid advertisement banner before it moves to the next channel. I find this absolutely insane, and can't believe they have what amounts to SPAM in the guide that we PAY FOR.

If this is what we'll get when they "upgrade" the SA areas, I'd rather just keep my crappy SARA guide from 1998.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
I just use the Page Down or Page Down buttons on the remote when in the listings screen to skip right past those ads. Go right past them.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
reply to TurboDan
said by TurboDan:

I have friends and relatives who live in Moto areas here in New Jersey, and I absolutely CAN'T STAND their guides because there's a big, bulging advertisement at the bottom of it! When you're cycling through the listings, you have to stop on the stupid advertisement banner before it moves to the next channel. I find this absolutely insane, and can't believe they have what amounts to SPAM in the guide that we PAY FOR.

If this is what we'll get when they "upgrade" the SA areas, I'd rather just keep my crappy SARA guide from 1998.
Let's bring this debate back again!

Here's all I'll say (two things):

1. It's no different than you paying money to watch Discovery, ESPN, or (insert favorite channel here) only to have them advertise forty minutes out of a two hour show/movie.

2. What The Q See Profile said

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA
Hey I don't want to lose my guide in this but thems the breaks. I think ultimately it'll be a benefit but I would much rather have my passport guide but hey such is the way it goes.

kaiser

join:2005-08-01
Colchester, CT
Anyone get the update yet?

Camaro305

join:2000-10-04
united state
Some areas in CT are getting it this week, supposedly.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to Camaro305
From ComcastGeorge:
quote:
Comcast customers in parts of central Connecticut now have this new guide; including the areas of Middle Haddam, Cobalt, Cromwell, East Hampton, Middlefield, Middletown, Portland, Rockfall and Wesleyan College.

Additional areas of CT are targeted to get this new guide later this month. All of our SA areas are targeted to get the new guide this year.

Can anyone from those area's come on here and give their impressions? How did the transition go? Do you like what you see? Is it fast, and bug free as of this point? Do you see it as an overall improvement?

The Q

Collegeville, PA

1 edit
I did see two comments on the Comcast Voices blog from CT customers regarding the new SA guide.

Poster Craig reports "pleasantly surprised" and "much faster".

Poster Scott's take: "really really disappointed" and "clunky, difficult to navigate".

Posts dated June 16 and June 17 in the above link have the full user comments.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to cypherstream
Looks like some more customers in Connecticut are getting the guide this week.

We are scheduled to bring this new guide experience to additional locations in CT (Clinton and Groton) this week, including the towns listed below:

Clinton area: Centerbrook, Chester, Clinton, Deep River, Durham, Essex, Hadaam, Higganum, Ivoryton, Killingworth, Old Saybrook, Westbrook

Groton area: Gales Ferry, Groton, Ledyard, Mystic, North Stonington, Pawcatuck, Stonington, Voluntown

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

See to be blunt, I mainly use my MOXI, which has a really good user interface and on screen guide, as well as the grid style. »moxi.com/us/hd_interfaces.html I get all the features, with the exception of on demand, but thats a limitation of the cablecard technology, not the device.
Nope, Its a limitation imposed by cablelabs. Really if comcast wanted ppv on Tivo, it would happen overnight. Just like netflix, amazon, etc. I have no need for comcast ppv, so its not a problem for me.
--
They Live... We Sleep...

“Spreading the wealth around” never results in a better outcome for people. It always results in destruction.

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So here are the images from my passport guide....soon to be gone, and missed

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

LeftyJR

join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA
Yup, I'm going to miss it! I guess its just a few weeks away now, huh?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to jjv124
That is so nice. Why would any cable company want to get rid of that?

What version are you running?

jjv124

Hanover, PA
said by cypherstream:

3.0, I don't know why they are getting rid of it. I do know we are probably one of it not the last system to still use it, but I guess it's easier for them to condense into one version.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog

2 edits
I haven't used echo, but the inlaws have passport 5.1 on their sa3200/2200 set tops (Blue Ridge Cable). Passport is nice, and echo looks even nicer.

It's fast and the screen transitions are a plus.

I had a thread here about it:
»Whats the latest version of Passport (SA/Cisco)

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Honestly, because Comcast has a moronic need to own every aspect of our viewing experience. It might not be a bad thing, except for the fact Comcast has a track record of picking the wrong companies and people to absorb. More often then not, Comcast in their programing and internet content choose the worst people to make the decisions. Back when Comcast bought TechTV only to merge it with the horrible G4, and then systematically kill off programing and personalities from the more popular TechTV, in the same way Comcast absorbs a company and pushes a guide no one wants, that is clunky and ugly compared to alternatives, even some from the company they partly own.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog
Heres some comments on the new guide from The Middletown Press (CT)
»www.middletownpress.com/articles ··· 5101.txt

" This upgrade is horrible, Its a step backwards, which I didn't think was possible. It no longer flows smoothly from channel to channel but it jumps around to block of 4-5 channels at a time and not they added advertisements which u have to scroll through. I want the old system back because this new one is straight garbage. "

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Camaro305
wow thats some nice passport GUI :O i want it now

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to cypherstream
Hard to believe all the love for the SARA guide.

Passport, yeah, I get that, but SARA?

There are quite a few comments (18 at my check today) on the site that cypher referenced. I assume that these are all from Comcast customers in CT.....

Looks to be mixed responses/reactions

Here is another one...

" I was disappointed with the guide when I first pulled it up -- but I didn't realize the menu key brought up all of the old functions that the guide key used to give until I saw this:

»www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

I haven't used it much but directions do help (you would think Comcast would have sent them in advance, or at least put info in one of those advertisement boxes we now have to deal with). "

jjv124

Hanover, PA
I am a bit surprised about the SARA love as well. I think is probably a mixed bag of the issue with the guide, plus people not being happy to change. We all know people tend to love what they had, even when they didn't love it and don't want something new. Because they get the new something and assume that any of their rate increase went to it and don't want that.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Camaro305
This new guide seems, from all reports, to be less functional then the current SARA guide in two key areas.

1. No Picture In Picture any longer. That is completely UNACCEPTABLE.

2. Broken zoom function in On-Demand and on DVR recorded programs. That is just plain sloppy coding in my book.

That is just two of the many reasons many of us love the SARA guide over this new clunky abortion of a guide.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Picture and picture is just something we'll have to live without now, or hook it up another way using your box to tv setup. The zoom feature...I don't understand how this is a problem at this point, the moto guide has no problem locking in a format in either of those so I'm not sure why this is an issue with the new guide.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to Camaro305
mikedz used to complain about lack of PIP on Motorola set tops all the time. Seems like a Motorola DVR would be able to do PIP if the software was written to handle it. I-Guide is the limiting factor.

That big honkin advert at the bottom of the screen seems to be a big complaint.

It's going to be worse for you jjv! That Passport eye candy will be gone. Sianara to your transparencies and nice subtle GUI animation effects too! Goodbye IPhone OS, Hello Windows 3.1.

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Yeah I know it's going to be different for sure. I have family in Lancaster who I've worked on getting a few things working for them and I am aware of how that a.28 guide looks and acts. It's certainly a difference from that passport echo guide, and honestly short of the MyDvr feature I'd rather stick with my current guide. But I know that's not going to happen and I'm kind of resigned to the fact I'm getting a guide expereince that's probably not as nice as my current one. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll see the full 28 guide over and the beggining of the EBIF's so we can get that web interface ap that they showed at the cable show for the Ipad. Just hoping ya know

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Camaro305
Ok I have officially been told by Comcast's Toms River office that the Ocean County area is "no where near ready for the World of More offerings, nor the new guide, and that we have not even laid down the neccesary wires. It will be at least December or Janurary before its out". She was very rude to me and left me both stunned and speechless and she almost threw a remote control at me!