Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimCramer

@comcast.net
reply to TurboDan

Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

Is there anything new regarding the new guide in Ocean County, NJ?

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA
reply to TurboDan
said by TurboDan:

said by jjv124:

How many ad's are there? I mean I saw the moto guide and it honestly wasn't this horrific mess of ads that I had to wade through. Now is it going to be a shock to the system the first few times you betcha, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I guess I'll let you know how I feel about it when it comes my way.
Well, they want you do get used to it. That's part of the strategy. I actually find it exceedingly annoying, having seen it in action in the Atlantic County, NJ system. It honestly could make me flee from Comcast. The very fact that I can't scroll through the guide without mousing over a huge, hulking banner ad thrown in for good measure is simply infuriating to me.

And to think that I actually PAY for the privilege.
Like I said I've seen the moto guide and to me it's not that bad. However if the guide is such an issue for you, why not just then go with a tivo or a moxie?

shades

join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ
reply to Camaro305
how about turnersville, new box message saying xfinity is here. well to me it looks oddly like before xfinity

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to TurboDan
...cancelling my magazine subscriptions - I pay for that, why should I have to look through ads?

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
ad's in magazines subsidize the magazine...... your $2 magazine costs way more then $2 in reality....

jmoz2989

join:2008-02-01
Moscow, PA
reply to TurboDan
If ads on a guide annoy you, I bet you'll just love channel surfing through a load of 'not authorized' messages. SA boxes currently have the luxury of skipping through channels not in the customer's paid package whenever surfing w/channel up and down buttons.
--
-Cruising along contently on a $35 a month dumb pipe.
-Want change? Satire often works, sarcasm not at all.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

ad's in magazines subsidize the magazine...... your $2 magazine costs way more then $2 in reality....
I would think the same example would also hold true for TV programs and the on-screen guide.

In either case, the ads offset the cost or add to the profit of a publicly held company. That was the initial business model for broadcast television and is core to most media business plans including publishing and online.

Why are cable tv companies held to a different business standard than newspapers and magazines or any other business? My monthly/weekly train pass even has an advertisement on it. The Philadelphia Inquirer even has ads sometimes on page 1.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

1 edit
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Oh, so I guess a few dollars will be knocked off my bill when they plaster ads on my screen then, right? I mean, it's being "subsidized" by the ads, after all.

You know, JUST ONCE, Comcast could make an attempt to put its customers first and sacrifice a few sheckles for the masses. There's a reason why this company is consistently rated among the worst in America in customer surveys. These people are hated so much they had to put bulletproof glass up in their offices. Sheesh.

newguide

@comcast.com
said by TurboDan:

Oh, so I guess a few dollars will be knocked off my bill when they plaster ads on my screen then, right? I mean, it's being "subsidized" by the ads, after all.

You know, JUST ONCE, Comcast could make an attempt to put its customers first and sacrifice a few sheckles for the masses. There's a reason why this company is consistently rated among the worst in America in customer surveys. These people are hated so much they had to put bulletproof glass up in their offices. Sheesh.
Here's something else to think about though. Why Does TiVO charge you a monthly fee to use hardware you purchased?

primary reason? The cost they must pay to the companies who provide the guide data to them. MSO's have that same per-sub kind of cost for the actual guide data.

Tribune and Rovi (the 2 big guide providers) both charge a monthly subscription fee for their data. It's not cheap. IMHO, if the ads help offset the cost of that guide data, I'm not going to complain too much. Considering those licensing fees are paid per device (as in, per box), If it helps keep the boxes from experiencing the same regular rate increases we see for video when the provider jacks their prices, I'm happy.

Remember, you box rental rates cover the cost of the hardware, as well as the monthly licensing for the guide data, guide software (including IP Licenses for things like Macrovision, video codecs, etc), and also to a small extent the cost of the box overhead (warehouse staffing, cleaning, repair).

ashraffool

@verizon.net
reply to TurboDan
to most ppl , ads are ignored but it makes more money for comcast. same reason there are ads in bus shelters , side of pay phone booths beginning of DVD, all over. sorry customer doesn't come first especially those that are impossible to please
said by TurboDan:

said by neufuse:

JeStEr26

join:2002-08-25
Miami, FL
just called in and got the message that tonight from 12:01-6am they will be updating the sytem guide in the areas from miami, FL to the keys.. and in that time we are unable to watch TV.. not that Im awake at those times to wach tv but still wow a 6 hour window..

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
said by JeStEr26:

just called in and got the message that tonight from 12:01-6am they will be updating the sytem guide in the areas from miami, FL to the keys.. and in that time we are unable to watch TV.. not that Im awake at those times to wach tv but still wow a 6 hour window..
WOW the sat co's updates don't take that long of no TV.

The Q

Collegeville, PA

1 edit
reply to JeStEr26
I think the window is a maximum of 6 hours. I don't think that you will go without TV for 6 hours.

My guess is that it's the "up to Six hours" message so you are excited when it's only 2 hours or 90 minutes. Stay up and let us know what happens! And do you have a SA cable box?

JeStEr26

join:2002-08-25
Miami, FL
said by The Q:

I think the window is a maximum of 6 hours. I don't think that you will go without TV for 6 hours.

My guess is that it's the "up to Six hours" message so you are excited when it's only 2 hours or 90 minutes. Stay up and let us know what happens! And do you have a SA cable box?
yup i have 2 sa 8300HD's turned them on this morning and no update still the sara guide.. maybe they ment 24 hours?

jjv124

Hanover, PA
reply to Camaro305
York/Williamsport guys with passport should see it on 8/31. I got my letter from them today.

The Q

Collegeville, PA

1 edit
Can you post the letter when you have a chance?

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Sure, not at home right now, but when I get home I can scan that.

HankStorm

join:2010-05-26
York, PA

1 edit
reply to Camaro305
Got my letter today for York. It says on or after 9/2. I have the SARA guide. Maybe that makes a difference in the date.

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Interesting I guess they are doing the smaller group first, because I'd imagine that the Passport UI is less than those using SARA.

jjv124

Hanover, PA
Click for full size
downloads25guide.pdf 75,289 bytes
Here it is, forgive the weird format, I haven't used my wife's scanner in a while and I'm working on her pc tonight

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to Camaro305
Kind of off topic, but I just got back from South Carolina and I saw the Time Warner's native guide on 4250HD's. It's pretty smooth on the eyes. While not true 16:9 screen filling, the text and graphics is much more smooth and modernized compared to Comcast. It's like Passport kind of, but a much nicer font. I don't remember seeing any animated screen transitions like Passport though. On one TV at the bar ESPN News HD said "Press any button to continue watching this channel" SDV?

Their HD's were like 1000+ like 15xx or 12xx (something like that).

I-Guide looks the worst besides SARA.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
TWC uses SDV on most HD channels and in south carolina the HD channels are SD CH# + 1000.

here in Dallas a motorola system they just added our first 10 new SDV HD channels to give us 67 HD right now we have 50 SDV HD channels right now

the new HD are

HLN HD 739
CMDY HD 746
MTV HD 747
PALLADIA HD 748
BET HD 749
SPIKE HD 767
AMC HD 773
FSC HD 791
ENCORE HD 796
TMC HD 848

there has been reports TWC of navigator being tested on motorola DCX3400s for possible use in SA areas and for motorola areas no word yet.

LeftyJR

join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA
reply to jjv124
said by jjv124:

Here it is, forgive the weird format, I haven't used my wife's scanner in a while and I'm working on her pc tonight
I got my downgrade notice today - its all in place for the end of the month. Its the same exact form.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·ProLog
I think York and Williamsport area's are off the same DNCS. So yeah, you guys in north central and south central PA should see software rollouts at the same time. Both of your area's were former Suscom systems. Scranton / Durea are/were on another DNCS. I know there was a consolidation project, but I forget the outcome (when and what exactly was consolidated).

TopDog

join:2007-02-02
Brandon, MS
Got my annual rate increase here in Jackson MS, it promises exciting new things and more HD! Sure.

Other than switching a few channels like Ion and TV Guide channel to digital and receiving NFL Redzone HD prior to last NFL season, we haven't had any additions to our lineup. STILL using the SARA guide. And now we are experiencing our 3rd straight rate increase. Crookcast indeed.

jjv124

Hanover, PA
reply to Camaro305
Looks like it's only Passport guides who are losing the recordings. Those running SARA should be fine.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to Camaro305
Looks like some more Connecticut customers got the new SA guide today.

"Comcast customers in additional parts of central Connecticut now have this new guide; including the areas of Norwich, Salem, Baltic, Bozrah, Colchester, East Haddam, Franklin, Lisbon, Lyme, Old Lyme and Preston

The remainder of our SA areas in CT are targeted to get this new guide in September."

above from »blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

LeftyJR

Avis, PA
Just an update, Williamsport and York, PA will have their S.25 guide put in place tomorrow (scheduled). I'll try to post some comments on it when I can. jjv124 See Profile, can you post some screen shots, too?

The Q

Collegeville, PA
It looks like Passport guide boxes are the first to go to the new guide in PA.

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

"As a general update, Comcast customers in the areas of York, Hanover, Williamsport, Mill Hall, Eagles Mere and Turbotville in Central Pennsylvania are scheduled to start getting the new guide this week.

A different group of cable boxes will get the guide each night.

As a reminder to ONLY our Central PA DVR customers using the Passport on-screen guide - any personalized settings you may have set (Favorites, Parental Control Codes and Locks, Purchase PINs, etc.) as well as any existing DVR recordings or scheduled DVR recordings will not be preserved during this guide change."

LeftyJR

Avis, PA
My HD DVR SA8300 will be up tonight.