clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty

Re: Everything MLPPP

PPP overhead is said to be ~10-14%, and you must consider the possibility that your phone lines won't be in perfect condition, and therefore you may not get top speed.

I'm on a pair of so-called 6/1 connections in Telus-land. My modems sync at 6144/896 and 6144/960. mlppp reduces your bond to a multiple of the slowest modem in the bundle, so my sync rate is effectively 2 * 6144/896 or 12,288/1792. My actual measured throughput (so not counting ppp overhead) is 10,500/1430.

I pay dry loop fees of $14.18 on each line, so my total bill is around $100 monthly. You're getting better speed for the money, but lower caps.

I don't know whether I might get higher sync rates if my line condition was better, but I expect that if you want more than 2 mbit u/l speed then you'll need at least 3 bonded Telus/TSI connections, best case. If you're still entertaining the idea and want to try it out, I recommend ordering one of Telus' first-month-free internet bundles. See what sync rates you get on the modems, then decide if it's worth pursuing (the second and third modems should get similar sync rates to the first).

If you really don't care about d/l speed then you could save a few bucks going with multiple 3/1 packages.

When you make the switch from Telus to TSI, expect Telus to mess it up. Your connection will be slow/unreliable/unusable, and you will have to call or message TSI many times to get it resolved. Telus will blame you or your equipment, but since you know the line worked when it was under a Telus account, you will have ammunition to go back and insist that they fix it. Once you get the first connection working well on TSI, repeat the process. In my experience you can get about 1 working connection per month this way.
--
db