share rss forum feed

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

Cisco 7206VXR for DS3

Click for full size
Click for full size
I just got my hands on two 7206VXRs each with an NPE-400, dual FE I/O cards and a PA-T3+. One is going to replace the Adtran 5305 at our primary datacenter and the other is going to replace the Adtran 4305 at our backup datacenter. We are also getting a DS3 at our backup datacenter to match our primary datacenter.

We are replicating most the systems in our primary datacenter to our backup datacenter for disaster recovery.

I will add some pictures of the DS3 install when its done.
--
sk_buff what?

Open Source Network Accelerators
»trafficsqueezer.sourceforge.net
»packetsqueezer.sourceforge.net

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY
Suprising to see new TDM stuff going in.... any reason you didn't opt for Metro Ethernet transport between locations? It drastically reduces the MRC and hardware costs too..

Just curious...

yaplej
Premium
White City, OR

1 edit
We are in a pretty rural area so limited by providers and service availability. There is really only one provider in the area and the pricing for their "metro ethernet" was not any better.

These DS3s connect into our private MPLS network. I don't know if our provider is even offering metro ethernet to MPLS yet. They are somewhat dragging their feet to do anything creative.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to imseanbrown
I prefer a DS3 or OC3 interface over a metro e. There are many more tools available to trouble shooting a TDM circuit than a metro e. Remember you can have two of the following. Fast, Cheap, or Reliable.

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Nesconset, NY
reply to yaplej
7206VXR - My favorite router of all time. Coupled with an NPE-G2, you are ready for world domination.

Just Askin

@embarqhsd.net
reply to yaplej
Why would you want these and take the time and effort to migrate your network to them their end-of-life.

yaplej
Premium
White City, OR
Technically its just the NPE-400 that's EOL so in several years when the used prices for NPE-G1s drop a little its just a matter of pulling the NPE-400 and putting in the NPE-G1.

That's if there is any real reason to upgrade at that point. The equipment we currently have is lacking in some useful features so the upgrade to the 7206VXR/NPE-400 is welcome.

battleop

1 recommendation

reply to Just Askin
Spoken like a true DSLR armchair quarterback. Do you replace every thing you own just because the warranty ran out?

I can help but wonder if you are a customer I talked to at a previous job. We had a point to point T1 with 1721s on each side. They got a new "IT Manager" who called up and wanted to schedule a replacement of his routers. I asked him why he thought they needed to be replaced and he said it was because the routers would be EOL in the next few weeks. He was convinced that they would either fail or get hacked soon because they were EOLed. It took me 30 minutes to get him to understand that a point to point T1 did not touch the internet and that if they got hacked it was within his own network.

Just Askin

@embarqhsd.net
No I'm pretty sure I'm not your customer we deal with a little bit larger networks then T1's and 1700 series. We don't usually get to ride equipment out to end of life either due to the need for more capacity or changing technology. Either way EOL hardware regardless of vendor should be replaced because downtime is unacceptable and the customers deserve the best. We don't buy off grey market and demand the highest level support from vendors on their platforms which you won't get on EOS/EOL hardware.

battleop

"I talked to at a previous job" We use very little grey market gear at the company where I work now.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Just Askin
said by Just Askin :

Either way EOL hardware regardless of vendor should be replaced because downtime is unacceptable and the customers deserve the best
EOL doesnt mean unrealiable, or any less quality.

EOL stuff is usually cheap enough to stock a second hand spare "just in case".

Having said that, people float their boats in different ways, so whatever works for you, and whatever works for the rest of us, we're all happy sailing our floating boats.

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium
join:2004-09-22
Valley Village, CA
reply to Oxygen
I'd trade a 7200 for a Juniper M7i or M10I any day. Why would anyone wanted to ever deal with bandwidth points, which I/O module is compatible with which NPE, etc.?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
why would you want to touch juniper with anything less than a 10foot pole?

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
said by DarkLogix:

why would you want to touch juniper with anything less than a 10foot pole?
Many reasons... Were I work right now we run both cisco and juniper hand in hand with each other... They both have there place in the market....

The one nice thing about the cisco gear is it tends be a little more fore giving with junior techs..
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
It might just be that I haven't used juniper much yet but it seems to lockup alot and be less flexable in seting configs

webnetwiz
GNS3 and Olive baby
Premium
join:2004-09-22
Valley Village, CA
What Juniper gear did you have issues with? JunOS CLI is much superior to Cisco IOS/BSD/NetBSD CLI, especially if you're coming from a Unix/Linux world. Also, the fact that you're never editing a live configuration is very good for when working on production gear. Just my 2 cents.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

It might just be that I haven't used juniper much yet but it seems to lockup alot and be less flexable in seting configs
I dont think Juniper would be in the position they are in today if their gear was that unreliable or lacking in features/functionality.

Obviously you were working with a dodgy box (faulty hardware of some sort) or perhaps with a buggy software release, or maybe immature features.

Cisco has the same problems, by the way - no one is immune.

Neither vendor is really the final answer. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, you just choose the one that fits best.

In my experience and in my view, Ciscos seem to have a lot more features aimed at a lot of more obscure deployment scenarios (probably owing to their history in the enterprise environment), while Juniper focuses on the core features that are used on the Internet today (given they started out to compete in the core Internet routing market, and only recently moved into the enterprise market).

For pure IP routing however, both are extremely capable vendors and it is in many ways apples for apples, and becomes religious from there.

On an interesting note, I recently went into an Equinix datacentre in San Jose and I have to say I reckon I saw more Juniper routers than Cisco's in there...

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Where do you get that information? We are in the process of ripping out a LOT of Cisco gear this year and next year to replace it with Juniper.... so far, it's been rock solid and with far less issues than we've had in the past 10 years of Cisco deployments....
--
Nexicom High Speed Internet - »www.nexicom.net/

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to TomS_
said by TomS_:

EOL doesnt mean unrealiable, or any less quality.

EOL stuff is usually cheap enough to stock a second hand spare "just in case".

Having said that, people float their boats in different ways, so whatever works for you, and whatever works for the rest of us, we're all happy sailing our floating boats.
EOL means cheap and reliable, but not fast in the famous technology business model saying. Cisco should just start leasing their equipment rather than selling it. So they can melt it down every 3 years to force you to lease a newer higher priced unit.

yaplej
Premium
White City, OR
said by patcat88:

... Cisco should just start leasing their equipment rather than selling it. So they can melt it down every 3 years to force you to lease a newer higher priced unit.
Please don't give them any ideas. I like my EOL NPE-400s. I will like the EOL NPE-G1/G2s better when that time comes.

They are still doing updates on the NPE-400 until Sep 9 2011 so maybe sometime a few years after that we can slap a used NPE-G1/G2 in them.

These are inside a private network so they are not exposed to the Internet and they are very capable of delivering all the services we need and then some. I expect within three years we will be putting an NPE-G1/G2 in them but at that point they will be paid for and rather than getting a whole new router we will just be getting the NPE so we get even more life out of them this way.
--
sk_buff what?

Open Source Network Accelerators
»www.trafficsqueezer.org
»www.opennop.org

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
said by yaplej:

These are inside a private network so they are not exposed to the Internet and they are very capable of delivering all the services we need and then some. I expect within three years we will be putting an NPE-G1/G2 in them but at that point they will be paid for and rather than getting a whole new router we will just be getting the NPE so we get even more life out of them this way.
Preciseley.

A lot of gear I run in my network is hand-me-downs from our parent company when they run out of breath servicing the needs of their network. But for our network, they have oodles of capacity in them to do what we need.

We have one 7206VXR with NPE-G1 that will be filling up shortly once we turn on another STM-1, but thats ok, because by that time our parent company will have another 7304 with NPE-G100 ready for us to inherit after they replace it with a ASR1000.

So while what patcat88 said may be true, "fast" is really in the eye of the beholder.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by TomS_:

So while what patcat88 said may be true, "fast" is really in the eye of the beholder.
yes -- but its always more fun when you get to play with the latest and newest gear

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
Very true.