spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbcamel

@comcast.net

battery backup for digital voice modem

I have Comcast digital voice. When I lose power the phone only works for about 2 hours, that's assuming I only make one or two very short calls. VERY short.

It was suggested by a Comcast tech that I get a battery backup to give me more time. He couldn't give me any specifics on what kind or how much they cost.

Does anyone have this? Any suggestions of which one to get? Something that's not too expensive since I only want it for the modem.

I've looked but I can't seem to get info on how many hours of extra time I'll get.

Thanks

Jane

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
said by jbcamel :

I have Comcast digital voice. When I lose power the phone only works for about 2 hours, that's assuming I only make one or two very short calls. VERY short.

It was suggested by a Comcast tech that I get a battery backup to give me more time. He couldn't give me any specifics on what kind or how much they cost.

Does anyone have this? Any suggestions of which one to get? Something that's not too expensive since I only want it for the modem.

I've looked but I can't seem to get info on how many hours of extra time I'll get.

Thanks

Jane
the emta batteries should last longer then 2 hours....usually 3-4..... is your modem dying? or does it lose sync?

reason asking is because the plant power supplies do have batteries and can last up 6+ hours, but thats under minimal load, very minimum....most last 2-3 hours.... that could also be a reason why when your area loses power, your phone dies as well....

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-Product

something like this would help out, probably an extra 3-4 hours if the modem is the only thing plugged in....

but then you would be to the point where i mentioned about the plant power supplies dying as well....

jbcamel

@comcast.net
My modem is dying. I was really annoyed since the person at Comcast who talked me into digital voice assured me the battery would give me 4 to 5 hours of talk time. When I tried to use the phone 2 1/2 hours after losing power (and not using the phone at all before that), it was dead and the modem lights were off. When I called Comcast they said there was probably a problem with the battery and they sent someone out tonight.

The tech that came said that 2 1/2 to 3 hours of standby was about right and there was no point in replacing the battery. I was pissed. That's when he suggested the battery backup.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
What make / model emta do you have?

jbcamel

@comcast.net
It's an RCA model DHG536

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
said by jbcamel :

It's an RCA model DHG536
beach ro somebody could correwct me, but i think the RCAs have a spot for a second battery....you could get a second one through an office, or perhaps even ebay....that would double your time...

beachintech
Premium
Yeah, they have a slot for a second battery, which the tech could have given you. Comcast should ship you one you can buy, or at least point you to where you can get one.

When you get them new in a box they come with a sheet on where to buy batteries, will have to see if I have any brand new ones in the bin.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

mjmsr
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Lombard, IL
We had a power outage last month with my new battery in my Arris, only had service for about 1 month when this happened...

The modem went dead, no phone service even with a new battery. No one could give me an answer why except maybe Comcast had a power outage too?

Disturbing to a new customer......

beachintech
Premium
Did the emta power off completely or did the service not work?

There's a difference there with different reasons as to why it happened.
--
Tech at the Beach.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2
reply to jbcamel
I think i might have a 536 Batt floating around here somewhere. If i can find it, it's yours.

jbcamel

@comcast.net
Wow, that's really nice of you. As it turns out a Comcast guy came and gave me two new batteries so hopefully I'm all set for now.

Thank you so much.

Jane

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to jbcamel
When Comcast replaced my modem for the 4th time, the 4th modem didn't have a battery.

Their system noticed I had no battery and sent me a letter stating such. In the letter, I was given the option to have a battery shipped to me no charge.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to jbcamel
»www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/···eset.asp

You can chat and have one sent to you as well.

mjmsr
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Lombard, IL
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

Did the emta power off completely or did the service not work?

There's a difference there with different reasons as to why it happened.
Yes, the emta power went down. As soon as the power came back on, my phone worked.

jbcamel

@comcast.net
By the time the second service guy came the battery was completely dead.

He was very nice and did a thorough job of checking. He only had one battery, which was all he really needed to give me, but he said he would bring me a second the next day which he did.

I don't want to call Comcast and say I didn't get a battery because I wouldn't want to get him into any trouble. I'll take my chances with the two. At some point I will test them and see how long they last with the modem unplugged. If they don't give me at least 6 hours standby then I'll probably cancel Comcast digital voice. I do have it in writing that I'll get 4-5 hours talk time and "up to" 8 standby.

Thank you all for your responses.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
said by jbcamel :

By the time the second service guy came the battery was completely dead.

He was very nice and did a thorough job of checking. He only had one battery, which was all he really needed to give me, but he said he would bring me a second the next day which he did.

I don't want to call Comcast and say I didn't get a battery because I wouldn't want to get him into any trouble. I'll take my chances with the two. At some point I will test them and see how long they last with the modem unplugged. If they don't give me at least 6 hours standby then I'll probably cancel Comcast digital voice. I do have it in writing that I'll get 4-5 hours talk time and "up to" 8 standby.

Thank you all for your responses.
you have that in writing? lol....care to scan it? id love to see it

beachintech
Premium
reply to jbcamel
I'd love to see that in writing as well. Considering all the "official" paperwork only promises 4 hours of standby.

You can also put any battery backup unit on the modem if you are that concerned. Although with 2 batteries you should have no issues and will most likely outlast the plant power supply backups.
--
Tech at the Beach.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
said by beachintech:

I'd love to see that in writing as well. Considering all the "official" paperwork only promises 4 hours of standby.

You can also put any battery backup unit on the modem if you are that concerned. Although with 2 batteries you should have no issues and will most likely outlast the plant power supply backups.
i can seriously vouch for that statement!

jbcamel

@comcast.net
reply to gar187er
I sent Comcast a 'contact us' form asking about battery life. Here is the response:

"
Comcast Digital Voice service provides a battery backup for our multi
media terminal adapters that will support your phone service for up to 8
hours in the event of a power outage with approximately 4-5 hours of
talk time. This provides you with additional support in the event of a
loss of power to your home. Thus, even if the power to the home is
interrupted, Comcast Digital Voice will continue to provide access to
emergency services. However, if you lose power for an extended period
of time, the battery backup will eventually become exhausted and will
cease to work."

The second Comcast tech told me this was correct. Same for a Comcast tech on the phone.

We'll see..........

beachintech
Premium
Maybe with the dual batteries....