share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to caseynsb

Re: [Internet] Bright House Orlando problems.

said by caseynsb:

I've had the same issue for about two years now.

I work from home a majority of the time and need to be on a VPN session the entire time. There are very brief outages that seem to occur about every 3-4 hours, but sometimes multiple times an hour (especially between 6-9PM). These cause me to lose vpn, or any open RDP sessions (even with public terminal servers). Other computers on the network are also affected.

The outage is very short, probably under 10 seconds, so a normal user wouldn't notice as web surfing would remain mostly fine, and most videos buffer beyond that point.

I've had the following done:
4 New modems, Switched to bright house business class (which required a new modem as well, for static IP), switched back to regular Turbo, changed cabling, relocated modem/router. I've also had roughly 20-30 tech visits.

Escalated to regional ops, and they had a few truck rolls and eventually fixed a 'major issue on my node'). This fixed a lot of my speed issues, but not the disconnections.

I've tried multiple routers, and even confirmed it happens when directly connected. It's impossible to replicate, which makes troubleshooting or dealing with support pretty impossible.

My current router is a WRT54GL with Tomato, and I watch logs for when this happens, and my router keeps connectivity with the modem the entire time, but all packets get lost.

These are the errors I see on my modem very frequently that don't look major (time/date's are off on all of them):

1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2010-05-20 16:39:18 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 1)
2010-05-20 15:04:30 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

If any BHN/RR people read this and could help, send me a PM
This is a stretch but is it possible that maybe its your destination point initiating the disconnects? Just a thought...honestly without looking at everything in great detail there is no way for me offer any suggestions.

caseynsb

join:2008-11-11
Orlando, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

This is a stretch but is it possible that maybe its your destination point initiating the disconnects? Just a thought...honestly without looking at everything in great detail there is no way for me offer any suggestions.
I don't think that's the case because at the same time completely isolated systems also disconnect. Xbox live, windows games, AIM, and so-on.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
said by caseynsb:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I don't think that's the case because at the same time completely isolated systems also disconnect. Xbox live, windows games, AIM, and so-on.
Ahh well you left that part out of your original post