All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

1 edit

slajoh01

Are you getting the ad popups under IE 8 on this site?

»gcn.com

I have the popup blocker enabled, and even on HIGH settings, the pop-up Dell commercial ad still appears esp. when you click on a link within this site.

Can you guys please try it with IE 8?

Don't worry, its a Trusted site and I go on here almost everyday to get security reviews and stuff. But the popup thing just bugs me.

How can I get rid of this? I tried everything and so on...but does not seem to get rid of it.

Thx.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

do you need to have javascript enabled for that site? with it disabled it does not show up

Cudni

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

jaykaykay to slajoh01

MVM

to slajoh01
I don't have that pop up. Actually, I don't have any pop ups. I don't think that it has anything to do with it, but I also use Simple Adblock.
Graycode
join:2006-04-17

Graycode to slajoh01

to slajoh01
It's not a pop-up at all. It's content being injected into the page from within their script file: gcn.com/design/global/js/core.js

As others indicated, there may be ways to get a handle on what you want to allow that site to do.
said by slajoh01:

Don't worry, its a Trusted site ...
Be careful, sites that inject IFRAME and send your browser to multiple other sub-par tracking & data injection servers probably don't qualify for 'Trust'.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

3 edits

19579823 (banned) to Cudni

to Cudni
quote:
do you need to have javascript enabled for that site? with it disabled it does not show up
Most likely.... I go there and nothing (Scripts disabled,dunno if i wanna enable them just to see some popup i dont care to see! (My auto popup blocker is enabled anyway so i probably wouldnt see it))

EDIT:

I enabled scripts and tried it!!!

Its not a reg popup which is why it bypasses any auto blocking.... Im on IE6 (Using MyIE2) and if i add this to my content filter and enable that filter also it blocks the ad from appearing

Link: »img-cdn.mediaplex.com/0/ ··· 0_v2.jpg

However IT DOES NOT BLOCK THE PAGE IT GOES TO!! (I JUST SEE A BLACK PAGE THEN (Which i cant get an address on))

Very wierd!

EDIT2:

Now that link says 'CONTENT NOT AVAILABLE'... (This is very strange)
slajoh01

1 edit

slajoh01

So how would I disable Javsscript only for that site then?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to slajoh01

to slajoh01
Well you would have to add it to your RESTRICTED sites zone i reckon..... (All sites in this zone have almost everything DISABLED)

Click Internet Options/Security/RESTRICTED SITES

Now add that site URL to it,now when you goto it,you should notice faster loading and NO ANNOYING AD!!

Good luck buddy
slajoh01

slajoh01

Ok thanks. i go it. No ads....

This was very annoying, and it appeared on almost on every article links I opened there.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 recommendation

to slajoh01
You might wanna disable scripts totally as I do (Most sites you can surf W/O scripts w/o issue)

Its safer and cuts the spam ads in 1/2
slajoh01

slajoh01

Which ones if I go under Internet Security Zone?

Is it Active Scripting?

Please provide printscreen if possible.

many thx.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

to slajoh01
Yes,"Active Scripting"

Change it to 'DISABLE',then you can take gcn.com out of the restricted zone and add sites that DO REQUIRE SCRIPTS into the trusted zone (Which has scripts enabled)

Good luck
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
I don't like that site because it uses animation at the top and Proxo should stop that but doesn't. I didn't see any ads there though as Proxo took care of those. I couldn't get off that site fast enough because of the animation which is extremely distracting when you are trying to read something.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna

Premium Member

Firefox w/NoScript blocks the animation (and any popups).

edit: clarity

Frankg0
join:2005-03-09
Loudoun, VA

Frankg0 to slajoh01

to slajoh01
inprivate filtering in ie8 blocked them for me.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 edit

Lagz to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Firefox w/NoScript blocks the animation (and any popups).

x2
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Turning off scripting on that page gives me a blank box. That is NOT what I want. I simply want to block the animation which Proxo should be doing but isn't. I want to be able to manually access the selections rather than have them rotate automatically.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

to slajoh01
Hmmmm when i go there with scripts disabled on that page,I GET NO ADS,NO BLACK BOX OR ANYTHING...