spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LuigiV

@verizon.net

What can I do about constantly glitching COMCAST TV signal?

I had COMCAST analog TV for years with no problems. 2-3 years ago I upgraded from dialup internet access to Verizon FIOS. Everything was working fine with that setup (Verizon for internet/Comcast for TV) with the FIOS/internet signal sharing the same cable run as the TV signal in my main room.

Verizon did not offer digital TV at the time that I got FIOS - and I did not want it either, but last year they offered it in my area. But since I only have analog VCRs/TV and didn't want the hassle of getting converter boxes and stuck with my trusty COMCAST analog cable.

But last year COMCAST changed their analog service to "digital", and the quality of my TV signal has gone to hell, especially annoying in that I cannot properly watch either COMCAST SPORTSNET or the VS network for the Stanley Cup playoffs and my team is in the finals (FLYERS)...

The COMCAST digital "adapter" boxes seem especially flaky. If I don't attach them DIRECTLY to the wall jack with a very short cable, they constantly glitch out the signal to my TVs.

And worst of all, my main viewing room HAS to have the cable split PRIOR to going in to the COMCAST adapter, because part of that needs to go to my VERIZON router for internet access in that room, but with the signal split the signal is virtually unwatchable on several channel, constantly glitching out or going to black & saying "One Moment Please. Your service
has been temporarily interrupted. It should be restored momentarily". I even got this for the hockey game on NBC on Saturday.

To get a barely acceptable signal I have to disconnect the splitter & go direct to the adapter box (thus losing my internet connection) when the hockey games are on and even with that the picture glitches out quite frequently and basically sucks.

What can I do about this (short of cancelling COMCAST and switching completely over to Verizon and seeing if they can deliver a quality TV signal the way I need it)??? Will COMCAST do anything worthwhile for me if I complain to them??

Someone told me I would need to get some special kind of broadband bidirectional cable amplifier and try hooking that up prior to splitting the signal in that room for internet/TV but from my point of view this problem is because COMCAST switched the type of signal they are providing and they should responsible for delivering the same working service I used to get, and if I need yet some OTHER kind of device/amplifier/whatever why don't THEY provide it (or am I crazy)??

Does anyone else have this kind of problem (and a solution)??

Khaos
-K-OS-
Premium
join:2007-03-12
West Palm Beach, FL

Instead of getting all angry at Comcast I would have made the Fios people get off their lazy asses and run an independent line to you Fios internet. Why be upset at Comcast for trying to improve your service by going all digital? To remedy this your gonna need 2 lines at that location or move the Fios internet to another room, either way, you may have to pay!!

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to LuigiV

said by LuigiV :

Everything was working fine with that setup (Verizon for internet/Comcast for TV) with the FIOS/internet signal sharing the same cable run as the TV signal in my main room.

Comcast and FIOS should not/ can not share the same line. Whoever installed your FIOS is a joke delicately put. Im a little blown away that your area hasnt caught that yet.

What town/state do you live in?

In any event, if you disco your FIOS from the set up and your TV is fine that is your first clue that they should be in the same bed together.

Comcast is responsible for ensuring your signal is up to spec. Was a technician in your home to install the boxes or did you pick them up/have them shipped?
A few unknowns here but nothing horrible to get it rectified.

Call Comcast- Set up an appointment-
Call Verizon- Set up an appointment-
Have your Comcast Tech bring your outlets to spec and ensure your outlets are receiving the proper signal-
Have Verizon remove their service from the homes cabeling system and run a dedicated line to your modem.

Both services will improve immensely.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Pretty much what Tool said. You can't blame comcast when another company screws up the wiring in your home.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Why is FIOS's internet over coax in the OP's house? Wouldn't that make it CIOS?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

because FTTH (fiber to the home) was too close to PFFT. Its just ftth with coax distro in the home.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

What's PFFT?

TVman

@lmco.com
reply to LuigiV

I had the same problem with the comcast digital adapters on all my TVs. After tracing the lines I found there were up to 4 splitters at different points in the house. I was able to re-route the lines in the basement so I had a max of two splitters and then put in a cable amplifier (electroline cable drop amp) which divides the signal to 8 rooms. All works fine now.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to LuigiV

I think he meant FTTP fiber to the premises.

LuigiV

@verizon.net
reply to beachintech

Hey I'm not "mad" at COMCAST - I am extremely frustrated though. Everything was FINE until they changed their signal to digital (which I didn't even want) - and that I get nothing out of a digital TV signal other than hassles (I have NO digital TVs, now I can't tape channels on my VCRs, etc etc etc etc etc)....and the digital signal sucks going into their adapter boxes as opposed to what it used to be - the digital TV "updgrade" is just a big downgrade for me and a hassle that I did not need or want.

As far as having FIOS run a line into my room with the PCs, that is a big pain. I have a finished basement with drywall up on all the walls/ceiling. There is no (EZ) way to get a line in here without knocking through walls, running cable along the wall etc to get from the utility room in the front of the house that has the FIOS (and COMCAST cable) entry lines.

I was told (not only by the Verizon FIOS installer but also up here in the forum back b4 I got the FIOS install,) that the best way to get the signal in here would be for the installer to tap into the existing cable wiring of the house and thus the signal would easily get into my room here without having to run any other lines. Which is what they ended up doing, and what worked FINE (until COMCAST changed their analog TV service to digital 2 years later and now their signal blows in comparison to what it used to be). Sigh.

At this point I have disconnected the FIOS line going into the COMCAST drop & have run a long cable fro the FIOS box across the floor in both rooms to get my network connection in here. I have removed the splitter that separated the FIOS/TV at the wall jack for the TV and am going direct into the damn digital TV adapter. It is the only way I can get the channels tuned in correctly with the digital adapter.

I bought a bidirectional cable amplifier and am going to try that to see if that boosts the TV signal enough to allow the cable to split again into network/FIOS and COMCAST/TV. If that doesn't work then I will cancel COMCAST and go FIOS for everything, at which point they will have to do the setup 100% right as it will be their entire ball of wax.

Wish me luck.

beachintech
Premium

The amp is going to do nothing but make the problem worse - and most likely get your service shut off by amping the return back into the comcast plant.

Most likely, the freq. ranges used are close enough to cause you problems. You need to have separate lines. You should have had that in the first place and it's what the FiOS installer should have done, rather than take the easy way out.

Problem has nothing to do with comcast - you need to get things setup properly. To blame comcast is unfair. Switching providers is your decision.
--
Tech at the Beach.

nthach

join:2009-02-11
reply to LuigiV

Both Comcast and Verizon FiOS are very, very similar to how they work - Comcast feeds their boxes QAM over HFC from the headend, while FiOS uses an ONT to convert data from one format to QAM over coax.

Personally, to reduce heartache I would drop Comcast for FiOS TV to keep things simple. Now, if we're talking DSL and cable that's a different story.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to LuigiV

Your choice, But if it was me i would just stay with comcast and dump verizon. The same goes both ways. Either system will work fine seperated but cant and never should have been put together. You can look at it as comcast went all digital and caused the problem. Me i look at it as verizon never should have put you in that situation. Veriozon was the lazy one here, not comcast. The verizon tech probably said sucks to be that guy when comcast goes all digital as he walked out your door. Remember if you go all verizon you are stuck with the decision for 2 years. If you go with comcast and you are not satisfied 2 weeks later you can change your mind. Ide be considering the fact that you received a shoddy job from your local verizon tech and remember that that same tech may just be serving you for the 2 years to come.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to LuigiV

OH YEA, GO FLYERS

LuigiG

@verizon.net
reply to rody_44

Just a comment - I will never - EVER - go with COMCAST for my internet access (unless I am living somewhere where they are the ONLY broadband choice). What they did/do with sandvining their customers, degrading their speeds, lying about it, getting caught then finally admitting it, etc etc - and now probably going back to doing it again - no way, no how, am I paying for access like that. No way.

I've only stuck with their video signal this long because (a) I wanted analog video (no longer an option), (b) I'm lazy (despite how I could save like $50 a month by switching everything to VERIZON).

Guess I will be switching over everything to Verizon now though, since it seems that I have no other decent choice. I am going to try the amplifier though despite the advice up here for the heck of it...right now I just have the internet line run across the floor from the other room, but maybe I will knock some holes through the wall and snake it around. I dunno.

THanks for everyone's comments though. I thought (and was told) that the problem was because of low signal due to the splits, not anything to do with incompatibility between digital COMCAST video and FIOS network traffic...I'm still not convinced that is the problem (I have the problem even when my PC's are off, as long as the signal is split as I mentioned).

GAMETIME - GO FLYERS!!!

drchud

join:2006-01-18
reply to LuigiV

the problem is your a Flyers fan. im a Hawks fan and i can see the games perfectly

beachintech
Premium

1 edit
reply to LuigiG

Again, having your PC's on or off don't mean anything. The signals are still there regardless if your modem is off or on, or your PC's are on or off.

Them amp will do nothing but get your comcast service shut off when you amp that fios crap back out into the comcast plant. If that's what you want, go for it. IT WILL DO NOTHING to solve your problem. Your problem is a lazy FiOS installer, not something an amp is ever going to fix. You don't seem to not know much about how signals work, so tossing an amp on is just a bad idea.
--
Tech at the Beach.

LuigiV

@verizon.net
reply to LuigiG

First to Drchud - congrats on your guys winning the cup. I'm still in shock over that last game, can't believe that OT goal went in for Kane from that impossible angle...I was POSITIVE we were going back to CHItown for a game 7 showdown, Carter had virtually an open net with Niemi on his belly on that one play that Niemi someone blocked. Sigh. THANKS to the FLYERS for a very amazing and memorable playoff run, the most exciting I've seen since 70's. But we lost, and it's over.

As far as my cable problem goes - guess what - b4 knocking holes in my walls and snaking cable all over the place I decided to try the new signal amp/splitter with my original setup of FIOS going over the existing house cable and - IT WORKS PERFECTLY. My COMCAST TV signal is now coming in fine on every channel in this room. My network connection appears to working fine as well. Have done a bunch of speed/etc tests with normal results. Been a long time since I did network troubleshooting stuff and I really don't remember much how to's (and have no equipment here at home), but just checking with netstat -e -s I am not getting any errors, but I don't know it that means anything or not. If someone can suggest some other network tests though that would reveal any problems please feel free though.

You guys seemed pretty adamant that this should NOT work though, but I have gotten conflicting advice on this elsewhere so I decided to try it, and I am glad that I did. Hope this thread helps anyone else in a similar situation.

I confess to not understanding why (a) this shouldn't work or (b) why it does, but since it does work it seems to me that it was a weak COMCAST signal all along that was the problem, rather than some kind of conflict between the FIOS network traffic and the COMCAST digital TV signal over the same wire.

Dv Jones

join:2004-02-22
San Francisco, CA
reply to LuigiV

The digital cable service is definitely interesting as far as proper reception. I have many runs in my place and had to do a lot of troubleshooting to get it all working correctly. A bi-dir Motorola amp is a must, can't remember the model number right now but it's just their basic bi-dir model. Check your connectors at the wall plates or however your cables get to your boxes. The connectors make a big difference, you'll be surprised. You might need to make some new cable runs as well, just be prepared for it. Also, make sure you don't put the amp near any 120VAC wires.

beachintech
Premium
reply to LuigiV

It's not a weak comcast signal, it's the fact your FiOS signals are running on the same cables. Now you are just blasting comcast over the FiOS signal so you can get a picture. And since you got a bidirectional amp, you are blasting all that junk out into the comcast plant as well.

Had you done the wiring properly, you wouldn't need the amp and everything would be working properly.
--
Tech at the Beach.

Mainlinetech

@comcast.net
reply to LuigiV

Yes hooking up the amp will work fine on your end but it's on our end where it screws things up. When we trace noise back to your house that is causing multiple noise outages we will disconnect you until the problem is fixed in your house.

Your analog service works fine with lower signal other than some grainy pictures but with digital it's all or nothing. It will start breaking up and/or not work at all with the low signal. It all comes back to the split verizon put in the line. If not for that all is well. That knocks down the signal to your tv by3.5db. Hope this makes you understand your situation a little better.