spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Boiseidtech
@70.97.157.x

Boiseidtech

Anon

Cableone Boise Performance Decrease

About 1 month ago, Cableone in Boise Idaho switched their single internet provider, TWTelecom, to Level 3.

Prior to this all of southwest Idaho Cableone subscribers had very good performance to schools/universities, businesses, hosted services by other Idaho ISP's, managed service providers etc because TWTelecom connects to just about everyone in Idaho that matters.

Even Qwest DSL service directly peers with TWTelecom making DSL performance to all theses places in Idaho very good. Watching a streaming video feed off a website like a football game, or traffic on the freeways, etc.

Integra, which powers the backbone for Clear 4G wireless service here also has good performance to a majority of these places.

Cableone now no longer gets more than 1.2-1.5Mb/sec on speedtest.net to the Boise location. At least 3 out of 4 of my colleages who have business class Cableone 12Mb or 15Mb service also experience slow performance, dropped sessions/timeouts, dropped VOIP calls, dropped Netflix or XBox games, etc.

This result is equally bad to most destinations in Idaho who use Integra, TWTelecom, and Qwest for both broadband and fiber metro ethernet connectivity.

Cableone's response to complaints of performance so far have been, according to them, there are not enough people complaining, and their attitude so far, is basically "deal with it".

Qwest has done a terrible job of getting the faster DSL speeds over 1.5Mb to more areas around the Treasure Valley area and Clear 4G is not even close to what was Cableone.

Its a sad time to be a business or educational institution or home telecommuter, or small branch business office with Cableone cable modem service now.

To make matters worse, they apparently are going to have the entire state of Idaho funnel through their Boise connection through Level 3. At present, Pocatello Cableone goes through Qwest, so they will see a downturn in performance when that happens too..

Unless of course Cableone does the right thing and reconnects to a local ISP like TWTelecom, Integra, or Qwest, or the really unlikely event that Level 3 establishes a backbone to Boise and starts competing with those 3 for government/business.

Turbgoneco
@leaseweb.com

Turbgoneco

Anon

CableOne is dog shit.

I've been using VPN's to at least avoid some of their traffic shaping, but all in all I think I'm going to Qwest.

The only way to deal with CableOne is dump their ass.

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to Boiseidtech

to Boiseidtech
I am sure glad that I left them and went with ATT. Been very very happy so far. plus got my first bill and it was $38 where as I was paying $53 for cableone.

Att: 6mb down/512kb up

Cableone: 5mb down(if you are lucky)/512kb up

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

I'm always getting full speeds with CableOne assuming I didn't hit my threshold cap.

I'm guessing it's probably because most people around here have switched to AT&T (According to the increasing swarm of 2WIRE aps on my wireless), even though only 768k and 1.5 meg are available here.
lone9
join:2005-12-15
Nampa, ID

lone9 to Boiseidtech

to Boiseidtech
If I use the internet between 4am to 12pm Cableone works at rated speeds. During peak hours it almost becomes unusable, so I have ordered Qwest, better to be at 1.5MBs if robust than 10MBs and over sold. We'll see how it goes.