Search similar:

uniqs
dad7732
join:2001-07-01
Kenner, LA

1 edit

dad7732

[LA] Router Funnies

Twice in the last four days, I lost connection. Rebooting the router took care of it. Dunno if this is related to the latest upgrades or not but seems odd that I had to reboot the router, modem remains online ok. The reason I'm bringing this up is that there is another topic or two on this same issue.

Router: Linksys/Cisco BEFSR81
Modem: SB5120

elpresidente
join:2008-11-08
Phoenix, AZ

elpresidente

If powercycling just the router fixes the issue then something is broken with the router. Either it is not renewing its dhcp lease correctly, has some lame power saving feature or may have timed access control put in it by accident. Check for firmware updates or go with dd-wrt if your model is supported. Or your modem is flapping and your router is being lazy not making a dhcp request when it happens.
dad7732
join:2001-07-01
Kenner, LA

dad7732

Could be the modem because of all the updates here recently. This only started when the updates started. Latest firmware installed many months ago. I don't run with DHCP (disabled). I am upgrading to the SB6120 so we'll see what happens from then on.

Cheers
dad7732

dad7732

After lengthy investigation, we think this is directly related to Firefox's functionality regarding DNS Prefetch which is enabled by default since version 3.5. Any site that over-hits DNS queries that load multiple images/ads from many servers can affect this detrimentally. Amazon.com is one site that is overabundant in DNS hits and MAY be the problem since it's only Amazon that is problematic in this respect. I will disable the DNS Prefetch in Firefox and see what happens, will report back. All OTHER browsers do not see this as an issue.