Harrison Township, MI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit

3 recommendations

[F@H] My very first folding machine

My first windows SMP folding machine that is. Recently retired a very lightly used and SLOW single processor computer with a Intel Q6600 quad processor. Figured I'd try and see if I could manage to run this new-fangled SMP Folding@Home client on it.

I'm pretty pleased with myself, considering it's my first time...

I followed the Windows SMP client installation instructions (MPICH version) antbhill2 See Profile was kind enough to provide a link to in another thread »folding.stanford.edu/English/Win···ideMPICH

I did not attempt to set up a service, instead I created a new shortcut to the FAH executable, and added -smp -verbosity 9 as arguments to the shortcut properties target field.

C:\fah\fah6.exe -smp -verbosity 9

I launched the program by double clicking on the shortcut and was rewarded by seeing the command window open up and give me the familiar logfile entries.

I added a copy of the shortcut to the startup folder for good measure

My first work unit should go home in three hours or so.

Wed May 26 00:57:52 EDT 2010
CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
Client Version 6.29
  core URL: http://www.stanford.edu/~pande/Win32/x86/Core_a3.fah (V2.19)
(Windows) Core Version 2.19 (Mar 12, 2010)
Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name: p6050_Mutant_scan
Tag: P6050R1C83G8
Download time: May 25 19:35:53
Due time: May 31 19:35:53
Progress: 79%  [|||||||___]
Project: 6050 (Run 1, Clone 83, Gen 8) 481.00 pts (71.956 pt/hr, 1725.13 ppd)

--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be the current host of Crunchenstein #1, #3, #5, and Foldy #3

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3

Congratulations!

I would have been pretty surprised iff'in you couldn't get the "new-fangled" thing working...

I am of the sincere confidence that there isn't a folder out there that you can't get going, and prolly running at warp speed!

(Getting a little help from antbhill2 See Profile, who also folds *fast*, doesn't hurt any, either! )
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to parkut

get my working yea?
let me do a few WU on linux first then i will install XP pro 32bit

gotta cache up on my PPD

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

reply to parkut

Click for full size
Finished the first unit, moved on to the 2nd. Added screen shot to show startup shortcut properties and fully loaded CPU.

System is Windows XP SP3, with 3meg memory.
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be the current host of Crunchenstein #1, #3, #5, and Foldy #3

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

gotta cache up on my PPD
Parkut certainly is no stranger to LINUX SMP

So much LINUX ... yet not too proud to run Windows
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to parkut

said by parkut:

Recently retired a very lightly used and SLOW single processor computer with a Intel Q6600 quad processor. Figured I'd try and see if I could manage to run this new-fangled SMP Folding@Home client on it.
Hey! My main desktop computer is: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

No way is that CPU ready to retire from folding! Running the same SMP client you are it often gets 5K points a day.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1
reply to parkut

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 running Vista Ultimate x64 bit running the SMP client and I believe it's doing well enough to get the bonus points.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
reply to parkut

The processor that was retired was an AMD XP1700. Nice overclock on your Q6600, the stock speed is 2400...

And santy, yes the Q6600 (even at stock) earns bonus points nicely when crunching SMP a3 work units. (that's the CPU running on most of the Foldinator Blades)

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1

That is my middle speed folder. The slowest is a Core 2 Duo that runs at 2.133 and is running 2 standard clients. My main machine is also running a Quad core Q9550 I think, might be the Q9500 I'll have to look when I get home. It also is running the SMP client on Win 7 Pro x64 bit.

The dual core is running Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit (only 2 megs of memory on that one.)
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

Santa Fe
Stormy Weather
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Got a Studio 1745 Core2 Duo at 2.2GHz, Win 7, and just started running the 6.29 SMP client on it. It seems to be running along ok so far. I'm assuming it'll handle the SMP WUs fine, because my Desktop is the same speed & OS, and they finish well before the deadline..... (in an ominous voice...So FAR)!

Santa Fe
Stormy Weather
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

reply to parkut

With a few new people starting using this client, maybe we need a new slogan up top: "SMP - It's the Folders Edge"? If anyone remembers those old STP ads.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to parkut

As long as you have that CPU reasonably cooled, the overclock I have on it is an easy one for that chip. Many others have clocked it higher, but my builder set mine up that way. Since he was willing to warrant it at that speed, it was OK with me. It has been running at that speed and folding since, I believe, about October 2007.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .