spc
Search similar:

uniqs
expert007
join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY

expert007

And they'll be the first......

...to misrepresent something tomorrow. At the end of the day, most users don't really care (or know) if something is 3G, 3.5G or 4G. All they want is consistent, fast speeds without restrictions.

Hell, I know alot of people that don't even know that there's a difference between WLAN wireless and 'cellular' wireless.

mudturtle74
join:2007-06-29
Killen, AL

mudturtle74

Oh, how so true. Remember the Verizon vs. AT&T war with all the commercials every 5 minutes for months? 97% coverage of the nation, my foot.

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
MVM
join:2000-12-15
New York, NY

ScottMo

MVM

They say 97% of *Americans* covered, not America. I always point that out to my kids as I'm teaching them to be skeptical of advertising.
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

makes sense to put the coverage where the people are.
bdon78
I didn't do it
join:2009-05-18
Decatur, GA

bdon78

Agreed...seems obvious right?

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
but that 97% is only 2G and they are talking about how they have the fastest 3G network throughout the entire commericals. you have to pause it and read the fine print to see that the 97% is only 2G. thats just as bad a misrepresentation.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Let me tell you that those ads worked for the average joe. I explained to them why Verizon having 3x the 3g coverage that AT&T has is a different claim that what AT&T was saying in their rebuttal commercials.

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
MVM
join:2000-12-15
New York, NY

ScottMo to ihatedslr

MVM

to ihatedslr
I agree it makes sense for AT&T (few providers want to cover very small towns, deserts, and forests), but you have to be careful when reading. 97% of Americans doesn't mean it covers 97% of the country.

In looking at the map, it looks like 80% of America is actually covered (maybe 85% of the Continuous 48).

I'm just urging my children to be careful around advertising especially the wording they choose.

whoRu
@verizon.net

whoRu to ScottMo

Anon

to ScottMo
said by ScottMo:

They say 97% of *Americans* covered, not America. I always point that out to my kids as I'm teaching them to be skeptical of advertising.
Would 97% of Americans and 100% of the Illegals have been better?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to ScottMo

to ScottMo
that map has been around for YEARS they never up date that thing and a good share of that map is still probably EDGE.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to expert007

Premium Member

to expert007
So who's next? AT&T going after Sprint for advertising "The nations first and only national 4G provider" when Sprint is carrying anything BUT 4G speeds?

You're right, though.. people don't really know what 3G and 4G is... they just want the next thing... Its sad when a technically defined term is muddled up for the purpose of marketing only.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to ScottMo

to ScottMo
Click for full size
The real at&t 3G map (sorry about the quick Cut and Paste)
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

cahiatt to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo

Re: ATT worried about label accuracy?

Hey ATT! If you are worried about marketing and label accuracy, how about pricing your $19.95 phone service at a real $19.95 plus REQUIRED taxes. Stop with the underhanded bullshit fees.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to ScottMo

to ScottMo

Re: And they'll be the first......

Hmm... since I'm technically a Canadian living in Los Angeles, I guess I'm not counted.
There's ~10-15million undocumented 'residents' - I guess that would knock the stats down to a lower percentage of people.
en102

en102 to whoRu

to whoRu
Yeah - I caught that as well, being a Canadian living in the US, I probably skew their stats. 97% of 'Americans' means 93% of the population.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to ScottMo

Premium Member

to ScottMo
The point is that Verizon was specifically referring to AT&T's much smaller 3G footprint, and AT&T responded with intentionally misleading advertising about covering 97% of Americans. Yeah, but not covering 97% with 3G! They went from bragging about being able to surf the web while talking on the phone (something that hardly anyone needs or wants to do), to the 97% figure. That was shady advertising, and they knew it.

AT&T spent millions responding with misleading advertising. Those millions could have been spent expanding their 3G footprint.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

jap to bdon78

Premium Member

to bdon78
Equally obvious that people don't stand in one place, they tend to be mobile. Which is why they have mobile phones. And they want to know which 3% of America they should avoid. Or seek, as the case may be.