how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BTM

join:2000-10-03
Acworth, GA

Word of caution to potential residential customers

Have been a fairly satisfied customer for several years, until today. Recently, I have been experiencing connection issues, in which my connection will drop for a few moments to complete loss of connection. The remedy for these issues is to reset the Motorola modem supplied by Atlantic Nexus, after which the connection behaves normally.

I called to try and get a remedy for this and was informed that Atlantic Nexus would not exchange their modem for another, and in fact, would charge me 59.99 for a new modem. So, in essence my DSL connection is being held for ransom until I pay to have a new modem to replace the one provided by my ISP.

I have always been impressed with Atlantic Nexus' level of customer service, but I find this policy to be tough to swallow. Of course, in order to have a working connection, I'm going to have to replace the modem, but if I have to do that, I can promise that my enthusiasm for what I used to consider to be an excellent local ISP will be diminished; I'll be unlikely to recommend them to anyone else.

Ataru

join:2008-04-13
Smyrna, GA

If you've had this modem for "several years", and the problem is the modem flaking out (that's not clear from what you wrote - apparently AtNex thinks so, but that's not conclusive), why would you expect them to replace the modem free of charge? I admit I don't have the full story here, but even if AtNex is in fact wrong here, I wouldn't expect better service from, say, BellSouth in a similar situation.

BTM

Acworth, GA

It's a modem given to me by AtNex in order to use their service. When a Bellsouth modem goes out, they send out a tech and replace their modem. This is the kind of service I'm used to getting from every ISP/cable company/phone company I've ever used.

When they give me equipment to use, I expect they'll replace it if it breaks.

wa4bro

join:2008-04-19

I guess you feel the "free" cell phone your provider gave you for signing up for their service should be replaced by them too if it fails. Yea, I doubt it! Unless you pay a monthly insurance fee.

Come on give me a break, we all know when we signed up for service the modems were offered at no charge as an incentive to service.

I beg very much to differ with you on ISP forever replacing modems for you to have access to their service as I have payed for many over the years that failed. In fact until the industry practice evolved over the years from a you pay up front for the modem to we will rebate you over six months of service for the purchase to the current of outright give you the modem up front you always had to pay and the modem has always been the customer's responsibility. All the new modems supplied are covered under the manufacturer's warranty for a specific period of time.

I got the Atlantic Nexus supplied modem but was never happy with it from the beginning. It ran very hot and I had experienced failures with that brand with other providers over the years. The 1st thing I did was purchase another modem of my own that fit my usage and actually increased my download speeds almost another meg. I average 7MB download speed on their 6MB service.

I do not mind seeing negative posts against a company when they are just outright dishonest with their customers or provide poor service on a constant basis but I am sorry to say I personally feel your demands are out of the norm.

I also run a business and I work every day to satisfy my customers but one thing I have learned in 35 years in business is that their are some customers you just can not satisfy regardless of how many hoops you jump through for them.

I am one customer to sit here and tell you that I have been around the block with DSL/SDSL/T-1 and Ethernet providers between my residential and business usage and I have never found a Finer Company to have as a service provider than Atlantic-Nexus.

These guys work hard and at very slim margins to provide the best possible and all inclusive DSL service in Atlanta. No easy feat today with all their competition!

If there is any negative to be said about this company it is their hands are tied to the copper of AT&T and along with that is all of AT&T's policies that keep them from providing more of their own controlled delivery.

I have found nothing but top notch Tech support and ranking well above any other provider I have ever dealt with in this industry. No call center in India, Local home grown tech support. No port blocking, multiple static IP offering and server friendly. Go find an ISP that offers so much at the margins they offer it. You can not find it in Atlanta and I doubt anywhere else.

Please guys don't ask for more than these guys can provide and at the quality they do it!

Off my soap box.... Standard disclaimer, I do not work for or have any affiliations with Atlantic Nexus, I am just a happy customer that does not mind standing up for a Company that tries to do everything right! Keep up the good work!

slick1ru23

join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA
reply to BTM

No one is going to give you a second modem years after you join UNLESS you are leasing it. You are talking a leased modem, those get replaced. Yours is not leased and when you join Atlantic Nexus you buy a modem from them.

BTM

Acworth, GA

1 edit

said by slick1ru23:

Yours is not leased and when you join Atlantic Nexus you buy a modem from them.
I suppose that's where my dissatisfaction comes from - I never "bought" the modem, it was given to me.

I'll offer an apology to ATNex, since I guess I'm expecting a bit much. I made the mistaken assumption that the modem that they once handed to me like it was no big deal, was in fact "no big deal." I guess they really are a big deal.

I'll keep saving up my pennies and suffer with sub par service (not ATNex's fault) until I can afford a new modem to replace this terrible Motorola nightmare.

Again, sorry. I will try and change the title of my post as well.
Edit: Apparently the forums won't allow me to edit the original. I hope my apology will serve as notice that I don't have any further quarrels with ATNex at present.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to BTM

said by BTM:

Have been a fairly satisfied customer for several years, until today. Recently, I have been experiencing connection issues, in which my connection will drop for a few moments to complete loss of connection. The remedy for these issues is to reset the Motorola modem supplied by Atlantic Nexus, after which the connection behaves normally.

I called to try and get a remedy for this and was informed that Atlantic Nexus would not exchange their modem for another, and in fact, would charge me 59.99 for a new modem. So, in essence my DSL connection is being held for ransom until I pay to have a new modem to replace the one provided by my ISP.

I have always been impressed with Atlantic Nexus' level of customer service, but I find this policy to be tough to swallow. Of course, in order to have a working connection, I'm going to have to replace the modem, but if I have to do that, I can promise that my enthusiasm for what I used to consider to be an excellent local ISP will be diminished; I'll be unlikely to recommend them to anyone else.
I got 2 DSL modems from Atlantic Nexus, I paid for both, the second one I got was the better one for 6mb service, the first one was part of the install package. I eventually switched to Comcast because I have a a wiring issue in the house that caused connection issues. I assume they worked with you to narrow it down to the modem, having you either connect at the outside box or unplug everything but the modem and check for line noise. Anyway, I switched 3 months ago. I had an issue with Comcast from install on Easter to until this past Friday and it took going to the national level to get it fixed. Atlantic Nexus had, for the most part, excellent customer service. My advice is get the "better" modem because it will do better if you have any line noise. Good luck.

gareed

join:2006-05-15
Conyers, GA

A question to wa4bro.

Could you suggest a good modem?

Like you, I fully support Atnex. Just frustrated at times with dropped connections, which are probably related to house wiring.

Thanks.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA

said by gareed:

A question to wa4bro.

Like you, I fully support Atnex. Just frustrated at times with dropped connections, which are probably related to house wiring.

Thanks.
Call and talk to the owner, he usually answers the phone. He will tell you he prefers the commercial ones because there are less issues and they last longer. But they are much more expensive.

billmax

join:2006-05-05
Roswell, GA
reply to gareed

said by gareed:

A question to wa4bro.

You didn't ask me but -
After my second Speedstream modem died recently I got an Actiontec GT701D from Fry's. No issues so far & 6.5 Mb/s connection. I'm fairly close to the DSLAM, though, so I don't have many SNR issues.
The Actiontec also is much lower power / lower heat than any of my previous modems.

BTM

Acworth, GA
reply to BTM

Just wanted to follow-up on my initial post to this thread:

I replaced my Motorola modem and older wireless G router with a Netgear DGN2200 Wireless N Modem/Router from Best Buy. The modem has kept a solid and fast connection since I installed it and the installation was a piece of cake once I entered the correct settings the AtNex gave me. So I can recommend that particular modem for use with our DSL service.