Search similar:

uniqs
benawhile
join:2010-05-27
united kingd

benawhile

How to get WPA2-AES?

Hello

I have recently set up a home network comprising a desktop and laptop, both running Windows XP pro SP3, and a Netgear router WGR614v6. My internet service is via external cable modem.

The desktop has a network card but no wireless, the laptop has wireless.

My intent is for my two computers to be able to see each other and interchange files and folders from “my documents”. I wanted also to share my firefox bookmarks but haven’t figured this out yet.

I set the system up up as follows:

Ethernet cable from modem to router, router to pc, reboot, logged in to router, selected option for WPA-PSK.

The system is working OK however I have some security concerns. Although I can't see WPA-2 AES on the wireless settings page of my router, when I click on the wireless connection properties on the laptop, go to the “Wireless Networks “ tab, select my own connection from the “preferred networks” and click on it’s properties in the association tab it says
“This network requires a key for the following”:
Network Authentivcation: WPA_PSK is chosen but there is a drop down list from which I could select WPA-2.

My questions are:

Does this mean that I CAN use WPA2 AES with this router, or are these simply options that are always offered by Windows but that don’t necessarily work?
What would happen if I selected WPA2-AES?

With thanks

Ben McDonnell
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

WPA2-PKS *is* AES. WPA-PSK is not.
TX CS Aggie
TX CS Aggie
join:2009-07-22
College Station, TX

2 edits

TX CS Aggie to benawhile

to benawhile
WPA and WPA2 are wireless security protocols

AES and TKIP are encryption algorithms

PSK stands for "Pre-Shared Key"

If you set it up in the router as WPA2-AES or WPA-AES that is what it is. It only matters what you set it up in your router a setting on your computer wont effect that.

don't use TKIP it is slow and is not as secure.

Use AES whenever possible for both WPA or WPA2. Also don't for get a good long password, mine is 64 charters (numbers letters and symbols.)

benawhile
join:2010-05-27
united kingd

benawhile

said by TX CS Aggie:

If you set it up in the router as WPA2-AES or WPA-AES that is what it is. It only matters what you set it up in your router a setting on your computer wont effect that.
Thank you, explained that bit nicely for me!